Thread: Question about oil patterns...

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2

Default Question about oil patterns...

I don't have a good understanding of oil patterns. Does each bowling center have set patterns for different days/leagues? Are there universal patterns used by all bowling centers? Is the purpose of the patterns to make scoring more difficult, or also to make it necessary to purchase multiple balls for different conditions?
    What is seen is temporary, what is unseen is eternal.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

Numb,

Most bowling centers have a "house" shot. Meaning this is the standard oil pattern they will put down on league conditions. While each house shot is a bit different, in general they will have a substantial amount of oil in the middle part of the lane and be dry on the outside parts of the lane. This allows you to throw the ball toward the gutter and watch it hook back. The USBC created their new Red, White and Blue oil patterns to create some more uniformity between houses. Red being the easiest, blue more difficult and white the most difficult. These are just house patterns. After this you get into Sport patterns (which are harder than the red, white, blue). These are designed to challenge the bowler and are mostly used in tournaments and there are also sport leagues. You will need more bowling balls for tournaments and sport leagues than you will on regular leagues.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Mayor. I have heard of a difficult pattern called the "Shark" Pattern; please let me know where the oil is placed for this pattern and why it is so difficult, if you would....

Chats: 5

Shark

Length: 43'

This pattern forces bowlers to play deep inside the center of the lanes, like sharks that troll the depths of the ocean.
    Description:

The Shark is the longest of the animal patterns at 43 feet with its key characteristic of the “deep inside line” providing a decisive strategic advantage. The “out of bounds” on the outside portion of the lane makes errant shots wide of the target in danger of falling into the “moat”. With less oil being placed in the middle of lane, bowlers will see their ball roll earlier on the lane. Playing the wrong angle on the Shark will make the pattern feel like it is a “reverse block”. The scoring pace for this pattern will be medium with the champion having the ability to get the corner pins out while playing a tough angle. 2010-11 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tournaments Using Shark: GEICO Shark Championship – Las Vegas, NV.

Chats: 5

This can be found on Oil Patterns link on PBA.com. I go there for refreshers all the time

Good Luck!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info, TCDale. That website will be quite helpful too.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    Thanks, Mayor. I have heard of a difficult pattern called the "Shark" Pattern; please let me know where the oil is placed for this pattern and why it is so difficult, if you would....
    There are 5 or 6 PBA "animal" patterns that are typically layed out for PBA tournaments. They are generally considered the hardest patterns out there, short of the US Open pattern, which is completely flat, same amount of oil on each board.

Of the PBA patterns, the Shark is usually the most difficult for amatuers, especially those with fewer revs, because there's so much oil. Some people with a decent amount of hook on a THS, will look like they're throwing plastic balls on a Shark pattern, because their ball won't budge at all. When you can't hook the ball much/at all, you can't get a good angle into the pocket and it's very hard to strike with any sort of consistency.

I know when I play the Shark, if I slide at 20 and get the ball around 10 board at the arrows, I can hit the good part of the pocket and either strike, or typically leave a 7 or 10 if I'm a little light, or a 4 or 9 if I get too much headpin. If the ball drifts to the 9 board at the arrows, forget about it, I'm not hitting the head pin.