Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importance Of Spare Ball Weight

Default Importance Of Spare Ball Weight

I have an opportunity to pick up a brand new 900 Global Bam Series ball for really cheap. I'm really in need of a good plastic spare ball, so this piqued my interest. The only thing is that it's a 10lb ball...
    Do you think it really matters on the weight of the ball if you're just trying to pick up a 10-pin here and there?
    Should I just spring for a 16 pounder to keep things consistent?

Chats: 221

The problem with that low of a ball weight compared to your normal weight is that you will tend to "muscle" he ball and be all over the place. Some people will throw a ball 1 pound lighter at their spares for added speed.
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Another problem with that low a weight is deflection. If you shoot at any multi pin spares, the ball will deflect a lot.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    The problem with that low of a ball weight compared to your normal weight is that you will tend to "muscle" he ball and be all over the place. Some people will throw a ball 1 pound lighter at their spares for added speed.
    I'd be using it almost exclusively for 10's, 4-6's, and of the like; shots I don't typically leave. Any other concerns I should have besides overpowering it?

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Another problem with that low a weight is deflection. If you shoot at any multi pin spares, the ball will deflect a lot.
    Hmm, you're right.

That much weight difference really opens you up to inconsistency. I would try to stick as close to your normal ball weight as possible.
    - Kev
    Hammer Black Widow Venom, Nasty, Sting, Onyx Vibe, Hot Sauce, Jacked, Cube Ebonite Maxim
    BG: 278 (3/9/10) BS: 691 - 278-235-178 (3/9/10)
    Avg: 167

Chats: 2315

I agree with the above. It will probably be difficult to be accurate and you won't be making as many of those spares as you would with a ball closer to your strike ball weight.

Bowler

Chats: 3

One pound lighter is all I would recommend for a spare ball. Typically you will throw your spaer ball somewhat faster to keep it on line. Any more than a one pound difference will create major timing problems with both the spare ball and the strike ball.

I would definitely pass on the 10 pounder.
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Chats: 221

What he said 9psba10)
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Step into my office

Chats: 42

I'm of the thinking that you should never change weights between balls. Consistency is the key to bowling. Whether it's your grip, weight of the ball, approach, pre-shot routine, etc. There would be no benefit other than speed in moving down, and you would most likely lose accuracy. Accuracy>Speed. I'd rather a person go up a pound for spares than down.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast