Thread: Color Of Your Bowling Ball Could Influence Bowling Ball Motion

Default Color Of Your Bowling Ball Could Influence Bowling Ball Motion

Did You Know The Color Of Your Bowling Ball Could Influence Bowling Ball Motion? I just learned this today give us your thoughts.

Chats: 221

At the Jigsaw Corner/Pure Swing seminar todaY they mentioned a study was being done to substantiat this. i know in several older urethane balls it did make a difference
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 4

i would like to read more about this if anybody has a link they could post.

Chats: 1

I agree with the above post this does sound interesting. Good luck and good bowling.
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The color of a ball relating to how much it hooked is a old story, harking from the days of urethane.

While there was no "study" to see if the color did affect the ball strength, there was some substance to the claim.

But it wasn't that the color affected ball strength, it was that the ball makers used color to "color code" the balls (Dark colors for balls that hooked more, lighter colors for ones that hooked less.) as a way to visually sort balls.

I've only seen this mentioned once in print, I think it was in a old issue of BTM. I've tried to find it in my old back issues, but it was just one or two sentences in another article and i've never ran across it yet.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-28-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 221

" Back in the day " there were a couple balls that accentuated this. The Roto UC2 was basically a Brunswick Edge but in blue. It went a good 2-3 feet longer than the Edge. The purple Angle was a Black U Dot and it went about a foot longer. At the Jigsaw Corner seminar yesterday they showed a Video of a Corner without the addative to dreate the white in the ball and it had a much different mtion than the actual corner. That is when Mr Usery mentioned the study being done
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

I was talking to Brenda Green at Ebonite International, Inc. who told me that the chemist who developed the resins for the new Ebonite Mission ball did indeed find that the color RED out performed the same type of covers in a different color. Go figure? This is why the EBONITE MISSION is RED!

The color of a ball relating to how much it hooked is a old story, harking from the days of urethane.
    Actually, from even before then - the days of polyester/plastic. Back then it wasn't so much scientific "fact" as much as there seemed to be durometer (measures hardness) trends with different colors of equipment. For example, the caramel colored white dots were generally softer (punch out at 81-82 on the durometer) than the blues (punched out at 84-85 on the durometer). Softer balls created more friction.

Today, we don't even worry about hardness as long as the ball is above legal specification. The makeup of the cover stock is much more important. I'm not even sure what that is. 72?
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Stormed1 - Bonus for mentioning the Purple Angle
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row