Thread: Club bowling returns to the University of Arizona

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Default Club bowling returns to the University of Arizona

Tucson, Ariz. - University of Arizona has a new bowling club, The Bowling Club at the University of Arizona, and will start collegiate competition during the 2008-09 academic year.

The U of A Bowling Club will consist of two components: a social club - which will meet once a week to bowl, have fun and to get together with other students. The second component will be a competitive team that will travel across the southwest United States to compete against other collegiate teams.

Cory Knop, who is a USBC Silver coach, will coach the team and Doug Reed, animal science faculty member at the University of Arizona, is the student club advisor.

"We're excited to see intercollegiate bowling return to the U of A," Knop said. "I feel that there are a lot of high quality bowlers in the Southwest that may have been overlooked and I want to give them the opportunity to bowl at the collegiate level."

PBA legend Pete Tountas, co-owner of Golden Pin Lanes in Tucson, already has stepped up to the plate, offering his center as the Arizona team's home base. Billy Bundza, who operates the Bowlers Advantage Pro Shop at Golden Pin Lanes, has also offered support for the club and team as well.

Scott Washburn, U of A alum and past president of the U of A Bowling club from 1977 through 1979, commented "I am extremely excited that students will once again have the opportunity to participate in this fun and exciting sport."

Bowling is a growing sport and is very popular at the high school level. Many of the Tucson area high schools have teams that compete. Several of Tucson local high school players that are attending U of A this year have already contacted the club to join.

"I know there is some great high school bowling programs right here in Tucson so I was not worried about being able to have enough quality bowlers to start a team," Reed said.

It is anticipated the team's first competition will be in late September. e-mail Cory Knop or Doug Reed for more information on either the team or social club.
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by onefrombills View Post
    Tucson, Ariz. - University of Arizona has a new bowling club, The Bowling Club at the University of Arizona, and will start collegiate competition during the 2008-09 academic year.

The U of A Bowling Club will consist of two components: a social club - which will meet once a week to bowl, have fun and to get together with other students. The second component will be a competitive team that will travel across the southwest United States to compete against other collegiate teams.

Cory Knop, who is a USBC Silver coach, will coach the team and Doug Reed, animal science faculty member at the University of Arizona, is the student club advisor.

"We're excited to see intercollegiate bowling return to the U of A," Knop said. "I feel that there are a lot of high quality bowlers in the Southwest that may have been overlooked and I want to give them the opportunity to bowl at the collegiate level."

PBA legend Pete Tountas, co-owner of Golden Pin Lanes in Tucson, already has stepped up to the plate, offering his center as the Arizona team's home base. Billy Bundza, who operates the Bowlers Advantage Pro Shop at Golden Pin Lanes, has also offered support for the club and team as well.

Scott Washburn, U of A alum and past president of the U of A Bowling club from 1977 through 1979, commented "I am extremely excited that students will once again have the opportunity to participate in this fun and exciting sport."

Bowling is a growing sport and is very popular at the high school level. Many of the Tucson area high schools have teams that compete. Several of Tucson local high school players that are attending U of A this year have already contacted the club to join.

"I know there is some great high school bowling programs right here in Tucson so I was not worried about being able to have enough quality bowlers to start a team," Reed said.

It is anticipated the team's first competition will be in late September. e-mail Cory Knop or Doug Reed for more information on either the team or social club.

Wow that is great they are playing. I am working with the Penn State Team, and I must say that for them at least, they have to raise there own money for anything. So I bet it is tough anywhere. And like mentioned with enough high school bowler in the area had to make ity easier to form a team.
    Go Broncos!

Super Moderator

A few years ago UofA had great teams and I dont know what had happended but its great too see them back
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by onefrombills View Post
    A few years ago UofA had great teams and I dont know what had happended but its great too see them back

If you keep us updated on their progress if you have access to that information.
    Go Broncos!

Super Moderator

Ill see what I can do
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member