Thread: Change up: Semi-Cranker to Full Roll Stroker

Default Change up: Semi-Cranker to Full Roll Stroker

I ultimately would like to become (unknown lingo): a foot-planting, full-roller who uses a useful asymmetrical drilling patterns properly, with a steady roll to the mids and a strong backend that will support the dryest and overused lane conditions.

My eyes are set on a TRACK 930T (taking all comments and contradictions here) Ears are wide open!

My ideas and questions of the change-up:

Would you agree with my idea to go with a lighter ball since the momentum is something you do not want to ovewhelm your swing with; since I am planning on becoming a planter? In the 90's we were sold that the heavier your ball was; the better impact you would have with the pins. True or False? This may also be the reason why I always needed to slide. I would like to go 930T 14# instead of a 15# if this reasoning is just.

Is my idea of the specifications and drilling preferences up to par with my desires of becoming a solid state amateur player?

Are these new patterns; Cheetah, Shark, Scorpion as difficult as everyone seems to be talking about?

What and how should I expect to adjust to the new conditions?

If the bowling center is a sanctioned PBA Center, are they required to use these new lane conditions during league play?

What is different? Is it still the same basic concept of inside/out; or is it flooded in specific areas? Please explain more I am unable to find more info on these new patterns and how adjustments are made.
    Last edited by rastamaoli; 02-09-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Yes, unclear lingo. I'll try to help a bit.

Hook vs. roll - When a bowling ball is thrown for a hook/curve, it will go through three phases in this order: skid, hook, roll. Depending on how the ball is thrown, which ball is thrown, and the conditions, the ball may never reach the roll stage. Indeed, it may never even reach the hook phase. Once a ball starts rolling, it will not hook.

Throwing a full-roller (itself a misnomer to some degree) release on the driest of lanes is a good approach when you want to stop the ball from hooking on the back end of the lane. A full-roller style of release will generally not be conducive to creating a big back end.

"Better impact" and "hitting power" are terms too often misused and largely misunderstood. Depending on a large number of factors, ball weight is just one part of the speed/entry angle/position equation of striking. For example, asian "spinners" typically use 12 or 13 pound balls because they're looking for lighter hits and more deflection. PBA exempt players typically use 14-16 pound balls and are looking for less deflection.

Are these new patterns; Cheetah, Shark, Scorpion as difficult as everyone seems to be talking about? What is different? Is it still the same basic concept of inside/out; or is it flooded in specific areas? Please explain more I am unable to find more info on these new patterns and how adjustments are made.
    "difficult" is a relative term. If you've only bowled on wide-open house shots, yes, those patterns are going to be difficult. Depending on your comfort zone in what type of line you typically play, experience adjusting to conditions, and how many different types of adjustments you have in your adjustment "toolbox" those patterns can be difficult. The basic concept of "inside/out" as it applies to a typical house shot will generally be ineffective on sport patterns (PBA patterns are sport-compliant).

There are too many factors involved to answer that question. Here's just a few: On what surface will you be bowling on? What condition is it in? What type of machine will be used to apply the pattern? What type of conditioner will be used? Which variation (1, 2, or 3) of the pattern will be used. What type of equipment will you be using? Who will be crossing with you? How will they be playing the lanes? What type of equipment will they be using? How will you be throwing the ball? What type of adjustment (line change, speed, release, ball change, loft, tilt, etc) generally works best for you? How many games is the qualifying block? Will they re-oil between blocks?

If the bowling center is a sanctioned PBA Center, are they required to use these new lane conditions during league play?
    There is no such thing. Centers sanction with the USBC. They are not required to use any specific lane condition during league play other than the USBC approved "base" that stipulates the minimum amount of conditioner applied to each board.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rastamaoli View Post
    I ultimately would like to become (unknown lingo): a foot-planting, full-roller who uses a useful asymmetrical drilling patterns properly, with a steady roll to the mids and a strong backend that will support the dryest and overused lane conditions.

My eyes are set on a TRACK 930T (taking all comments and contradictions here) Ears are wide open!

My ideas and questions of the change-up:

Would you agree with my idea to go with a lighter ball since the momentum is something you do not want to ovewhelm your swing with; since I am planning on becoming a planter? In the 90's we were sold that the heavier your ball was; the better impact you would have with the pins. True or False? This may also be the reason why I always needed to slide. I would like to go 930T 14# instead of a 15# if this reasoning is just.

Is my idea of the specifications and drilling preferences up to par with my desires of becoming a solid state amateur player?

Are these new patterns; Cheetah, Shark, Scorpion as difficult as everyone seems to be talking about?

What is different? Is it still the same basic concept of inside/out; or is it flooded in specific areas? Please explain more I am unable to find more info on these new patterns and how adjustments are made.
    I'll try to give you the answers that I can based on my 30 some years of experience as a stroker throwing a conventional grip rubber ball and my 24 weeks of experience throwing a reactive resin ball with a finger tip grip in a PBA Experience league.
    Generally speaking, strokers slide, crankers plant. Strokers like every thing to be smooth and consistant.

Your local pro shop should be able to give good advice on which ball and what dilling pattern will work best on the conditions you describe.

Sanctioning is done by the USBC, and PBA Experience is covered under their Sport sanction. Both the league and the bowling center need this sanction.
    PBA oil patterns are only put out for the PBA Experience leagues (and obviously the pro tournaments) They would not be used for a regular league.

The PBA patterns are more difficult than a typical house shot. The big difference is that if you miss your target by more than a board, you will either go right through the nose or miss the pocket altogether.
    If there is already a sport league in your area, you should try to bowl on the lanes they use after they finish. Get there a bit early so you can see what line seems to work best. That way you can get a taste of it with out having to commit to being there every week.

It can be a very humbling experience, especially for bowlers with 200+ averages, to find themselves struggling to break 150. I on the other hand went into it averaging in the 177 with my old-fashioned delivery and antique ball on the ths, and averaged 177 with my new equipment on the more difficult pattern and saved my fragile ego from being crushed. At least until we bowled on the US Open pattern and I averaged 155 for the night.

Chats: 221

One of our local centers hosts a King of the hill series in the spring and fall. The use Kegel sport patters 5 of the 7 weeks.The house shot 1 week and a 50 foot soup pattern the lastHe cuts the bottom 1*3 after qualifying. Cut on the house shout id 420-430. On the Kegel patterns it's 320-360. That demonstrates how much tougher the sport patterns are
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Could you help me again with now my realization; I am now in a friday night league anchor : i recently posted a request. Just asking if you would be open in helping me become a more consistent house bowler. You were very helpful in comparison to all of the others who posted. I amstill very embarrased and do not understand the bowling lingos; so I try to explain it as best as I am able to do. You did wondefully in the translaion of my request; so I appreciated it.

Aloha.

Rastamaoli
    Last edited by rastamaoli; 02-27-2010 at 04:19 AM.

We're all here trying to help one another. We're bowling geeks!
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Chats: 221

Quote Originally Posted by JAnderson View Post
    We're all here trying to help one another. We're bowling geeks!
    I resemble that remark!
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)