Thread: Kegel "Middle of the Road"

Default Kegel "Middle of the Road" - NEED HELP BY SATURDAY

This oil pattern is heavy oil down the middle of the lane. I recently bowled on this pattern and scored a 170, 191, 186, 199, 166, and 235.

I'm having trouble bowling on this pattern. I cannot use an aggressive ball on this pattern, because I have to play too narrow of a line. To bowl on this I used my Brunswick Dry/R Groove. I stood on 22 and threw down 14. The line is so narrow that if I miss by a single board it hits bad. As the day goes on the lane breaks down and I feel more comfortable because I can play more outside.

I was hoping somebody could help me find a line with a more aggressive ball. Offer any advice or strategy tips on bowling on this oil pattern.
    Last edited by BRStrikeForce; 03-03-2010 at 03:25 AM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Take a look at this thread it's about almost the exact same thing.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/showthr...ighlight=kegel

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Take a look at this thread it's about almost the exact same thing.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/showthr...ighlight=kegel
    I pry bowled with him during Individuals. He has the same idea as I did. Well the thread helped me a little. I liked the idea of getting a feel for the ball during warm-ups. Thanks.

I was hoping somebody could tell me what ball would be ideal, and I could choose from my arsenal.

As you've observed, tougher patterns like the Kegel middle of the road pattern, don't leave much room for error on a fresh pattern. After bowling on them for some time and breaking down a hook spot (area of the lane where enough balls have been thrown to remove the oil) will develop with oil to the inside. At that point, the correct adjustment creates more miss room.

Tough patterns demand accuracy. There's no substitute for good execution and shot repetition, however, if you can't find any wiggle room at all - and I mean a board or two at the break point which translates to maybe a board at the arrows - there's a chance you may not be playing the pattern optimally.

With your bowling mechanics and aggressive ball, take the time to experiment and find the best line for you to play. If there is someone scoring in the same house/league on that pattern, see what they're using and how they're playing it and see if they'll share insights with you. (Most will if you ask nicely enough). You may need to be outside your comfort zone to find the most optimal way to play a pattern.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Chats: 221

Go hewre for more info on the patterns http://www.kegel.net/patternlibrary/...n-patterns.htm

As for what ball? That's going to vary for each person based on ball speed, rev rate, axis rotation and tilt. The link above will give you ideas as to how to play the pattern but the ball has to match you
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by JAnderson View Post
    As you've observed, tougher patterns like the Kegel middle of the road pattern, don't leave much room for error on a fresh pattern. After bowling on them for some time and breaking down a hook spot (area of the lane where enough balls have been thrown to remove the oil) will develop with oil to the inside. At that point, the correct adjustment creates more miss room.

Tough patterns demand accuracy. There's no substitute for good execution and shot repetition, however, if you can't find any wiggle room at all - and I mean a board or two at the break point which translates to maybe a board at the arrows - there's a chance you may not be playing the pattern optimally.

With your bowling mechanics and aggressive ball, take the time to experiment and find the best line for you to play. If there is someone scoring in the same house/league on that pattern, see what they're using and how they're playing it and see if they'll share insights with you. (Most will if you ask nicely enough). You may need to be outside your comfort zone to find the most optimal way to play a pattern.
    Thanks for the help. The only practice I'll get on this pattern before Saturday is Friday. I'll have to use that time to try to find a better line.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    Go hewre for more info on the patterns http://www.kegel.net/patternlibrary/...n-patterns.htm

As for what ball? That's going to vary for each person based on ball speed, rev rate, axis rotation and tilt. The link above will give you ideas as to how to play the pattern but the ball has to match you
    Yeah. I looked at that website and it helped a little bit. As for the ball, I just wanted an example of somebody who could give me a little background info on their shot and what they do. It might give me an idea of a shot. But I understand that it's up to me to get it.

Thanks for your help everyone. If anyone has any extra info it'll be greatly appreciated, but I think the rest is up to me. Wish me luck at States!

Chats: 221

There are too many variables involved. Lane surface is a major one as far as what ball to use. Pro-Anvilane plays different than guardian which is different than wood. Even with the same pattern and oil volume they will require different equipment
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)