Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Drop away" instead of "push away"

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Default "Drop away" instead of "push away"

...by that I mean, holding the ball out in the stance and just letting it drop, a la Earl Anthony.

As I see it, the possible advantages are:

Simplified delivery.

More accurate line-up and targeting from having the ball and your arm more out in front of you and in your field of vision.

...and some potential disadvantages:

Strain on the arm from holding the weight of the ball in a more extended position.

Compromised balance and possibly a tendency to lean due to being "front heavy" at the start of the approach.

What do you think--and can you cite examples of other bowlers who've been successful using a "drop away?"
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

There was that bucktooth guy with the glasses from Sweden or Norway, Mats Karlsson?? Something like that. I know I've got the first name right. I think it works better for 5 step delivery bowlers because you can start it out in your 1st step and it falls right into time. Start normally, push out and let it drop. Mats started out with an extension before his first step, but he didn't hold it very long to prevent tiring out his arm. I've got him on tape from ESPN Classic shows.

I think the great Mike Aulby, also did the drop away swing?
    Not sure, though.

Super Moderator

Yeah, Aulby was kind of a drop away, though he had a really odd way of holding it to begin with, then go into sort of a push out then drop. I watched lefties whenever I could. I just can't emulate any of the newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    Yeah, Aulby was kind of a drop away, though he had a really odd way of holding it to begin with, then go into sort of a push out then drop. I watched lefties whenever I could. I just can't emulate any of the newer ones.
    Like Mike Scroggins?

He has an interesting style!

Super Moderator

Mike has an odd style, I think. I don't know how he can keep so square with his arm at his side like that. Wasn't it Gary Dickinson who did that, too, only he was a righty? I've always tried to emulate Bohn, but my knees can't quite do that any longer.

i know someone that does that!!!! meeee!!!!! : ]
    Keep throwing them strikes and keep your head up! How else are you supposed to watch them?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Quote Originally Posted by winzeses3 View Post
    i know someone that does that!!!! meeee!!!!! : ]
    you are ????
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    Mike has an odd style, I think. I don't know how he can keep so square with his arm at his side like that. Wasn't it Gary Dickinson who did that, too, only he was a righty? I've always tried to emulate Bohn, but my knees can't quite do that any longer.
    Gary D. always did that.
    He was super accurate.

I used to keep my balance arm down at my side. I work with Lyle Zikes, and we spent a few sessions on keeping the balance arm up, and the trailing foot anchored to the floor. I found that when I had my trail foot off the floor, it meant my approach was a bit faster.

Parker has a great game for anone of the "older" guys...
    When I was younger I was compared to either Dave Davis or Earl Anthony (in style only). I always liked Johnny Pettraglia's game. Especially when he was into karate.
    He had a great release...Still has a nice game.

Super Moderator

Johnny was my hero back in the 70's. I still have my LT-48 that I've been hoping to get autographed, but he wasn't at the senior one we went to, and they haven't been back down here since. Someday...

On edit: I invoke the spirit of Earl when I'm in the 10th. I know it's all in my head, but it seems to help me strike out.
    Last edited by kev3inp; 09-11-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: additional thought, then lost it to an interruption!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast