Thread: Differences in weight: Core or Coverstock?

Chats: 60

Lightbulb Differences in weight: Core or Coverstock?

Okay. I'm in a fun debate with a chum whether how they get different weights in bowling ball manufacturing. Since the core must weigh 10.70 pounds the rest is in the coverstock. He says the core is the way they get different weights. I just saw a video where it is stated the coverstock mixture is the defining variable that gives the ball it's 12, 13, 15 or 16 pound weight (in example). If the facts in the video are wrong then what is the variable that gives its weight? Discuss! hehe

owl

Chats: 2315

I'm pretty sure it's the core and possibly amount of filler. At least under 14lb, they change the densities and sometimes even the shape of the core, or they remove the core(depending on weight). They don't change anything about he cover except maybe the thickness of it due to changing the amount of filler.

SandBagger
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 52

Coverstock density is based on how much air is in the coverstock while it cures - less air/bubbles, more coverstock material, more weight. Same thing w/the core, density will determine the final weight of the core. But there isn't a hard-n-fast rule (to my knowledge) that states that a core must be a certain weight. I know someone in the field tho and can ask him to see.

(edit)
    Asked my friend who does cores for Morich, and apparently we cannot quite believe what they said on "How its made". That show, shot at the Ebonite plant, said that the weight was based on coverstock density. What I have since been told - well, let me cut and paste my question and the responses.

Graaille: Someone posed this on another forum, and I said that I would get confirmation before I fully answered.

When ball manufacturers produce a line of balls - meaning in this case a ball that is marketed to be available in weights from say 12# to 16# with an identical core thru the entire weight series - how do they tinker to make that happen. I know the Discovery channel show "How it's made" said that the weight difference is primarily in the amount of air/density of the coverstock, but is that done to the core as well for the even lighter balls - or do manufacturers make same density but physically smaller versions of the core for the lighter balls? Perhaps I'm wrong (it's happened before), but I can't see lowering the density of the coverstock making as much as a 3-4 pound difference in the weight of the ball and have the lighter balls have any type of longevity to them.

MathIsTruth: Various weights are attained by changing the density of the core and outer core, not the coverstock.

JohnP: And even then most companies do not use the same core shape when they go below 14 lbs, instead they use a "generic" core. MoRich is an exception, they use the same shape in all their balls. Here's a quote from the web site:

"Question: Is the same core used in all weights for a given ball?

Answer: In essence, YES!! The slight difference is that cores in lesser weights are just a shade lighter, but the dynamics and ratios are configured to perform just like their heavier counterparts. Mo was the first to introduce this technology and compliance as he felt anyone who rolled the equipment should experience what he designed the ball to do."

MoPinel: Brunswick actually began it in the Quantums. I'm just continuing it. By the way, there is no way to change coverstock density without severely changing the ball reaction. Coverstocks are of constant density (app. 1.10sg), it's the inner and outer core densities that have to be changed. Listen to MathIsTruth. He's an expert and does that for me.
    Last edited by Graaille; 04-19-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: More complete info filled in.