Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb blister.

Default Thumb blister.

I am having problem with my thumb getting blisters. It's right between the palm and the thumb. I took my ball to the pro shop and the pro shop guy kind of smooth the edge of the thumb hole a bit. It helps a bit, but I'm still getting blisters and pain from the blisters. What to do?

I was thinking of taking my balls to the pro shop and get the thumb hole fill and re-drill a bit closer towards the fingers. What do you guys think? My previous ball was drill at a different pro shop and the finger holes and thumb hole was a bit closer than how the other pro shop drill my others balls and I never had any blister problems.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

The most common reasons for a blister in that location are either your span between your fingers and thumb is too long, like you were saying, or your pitch is too far toward your palm. Any pro shop guy will try the easy fix first, which is beveling the edge of the hole first. Since that didn't work, I would recommend shortening your span by 1/16 of an inch or so. If you have them just put a bigger thumb slug in, or put one in if you don't have one already, it will save you having to wait a couple days to get it back from being plugged. They can put a thumb slug in, drill it with the new span, and drill your thumb hole back into it in about 15-20 minutes.
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach

Also pickle rine or however you spell it will help with the healing of blisters this hasalways worked for me. Old baseball thing it works

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mbg1977 View Post
    Also pickle rine or however you spell it will help with the healing of blisters this hasalways worked for me. Old baseball thing it works
    I think you mean pickle brine, otherwise known as the salty solution the pickles are packed in.

i have the same thing

Chats: 221

As was mentioned above if you are talking about a blister at the base/web of your thumb it can be caused by too little bevel ( which the pro shop adjusted for you ) , span or pitch. I would take your old bsll with you to the shop and they can compare your fit between the 2 and adjust as necessary.
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

oh ok well i just beveled my new ball i think it may also be caused by not having your thumb deep enough in the ball

Chats: 1127

Chow-Chow and wes909, I don't know how long y'all have been bowling or what type of instruction you have had, but no one has mentioned this.

First thing is using a DEATH grip on the ball will cause friction and blisters. Relaxing your grip will also help other problems such as aiming and/or causing you to muscle the ball.

Second thing. In the last couple of years, I have noticed several people that were inserting their hand into the ball improperly. Putting your thumb in first and then inserting the fingers will cause a friction point exactly as you describe from having to grip the ball too tight in order to hang on to it. Fingers should be inserted first, then the thumb, which will give you a comfortable feeling grip, more ball control and less pain.

Now if this doesn't apply to you, please forgive this old man and just ignore what I said!!! Hahaha.
    Last edited by poflobo; 04-17-2010 at 03:11 AM.
    WORK HARD
    ROCK HARD
    EAT HARD
    SLEEP HARD
    GROW BIG
    WEAR GLASSES IF YOU NEED 'EM

the WEBB WILDER credo

Yesterday, I stopped by the pro shop and told the pro shop guy to plug my thumb hole and re-drill it closer. He is going to move it a eighth of a inch closer. I will get my ball back on Tuesday. If this goes well, I will also do the same for my other ball (spare ball). The only different thing (besides moving it closer). Is that I told the guy to re-drill the hole a size smaller and with no thumb slug. I like the feeling without the thumb slug better, than with it. I have my spare ball with finger grips and no thumb slug.

Thanks for the help peoples. And for poflobo, I don't death grip my balls and I do put my fingers in first, before the thumb.

Chats: 60

What about trying Nu-skin liquid bandage on the tender area? I had a hangnail on my thumb that got tender today and used Nu-skin on it and it helped a great deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast