Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: What do you think constitutes a fair handicap?

Interesting Update:

We had our league captains meeting a few days ago, and the heated topic of discussion was where to set the handicap this year. As I think it is usual in most leagues, we have a bell shaped distribution curve for our teams, a small amount way on top, most in the middle and a converse small amount on the bottom.

Well, the group spoke up and said they wanted to 'have a chance' against the few higher teams, so based on popular vote ( I voted Nay) we moved out handicap to 80% of the league leader's 230. This is shaping up to be quite an interesting league year...I'm seeing a ton of over 300 handicap games in the near future.....

Most of the leagues in this area use 90% of anywhere from 200 to 250 depending on the higher bowlers in the league.

as long as everyone in the league receives the same handicap (no-one averages at or above the cap) then I consider it 'fair'

I've been on both sides of the debate.
    I beat a guy that bowled a 279 last year because I had more handicap and bowled a 264

But I have been beat bowling 230 by a guy that shot 200 but he averages 150

It's like pin carry. sometimes you get that messenger off the wall to trip the 10 other times the second hit on a pin just stands it back up...
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213