Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think constitutes a fair handicap?

Chats: 0

Do I think today’s handicap system is unfair?

OK, unfair to whom? Is it unfair to the bowler that has a low average?, obviously not. Is it unfair to the bowler with a high average?

In my opinion handicaps to a high average bowler is irrelevant. In the spectrum from unskilled to skilled bowlers they can be categorized into groups. This relates to post #7’s point. A more black and white filter would have them in groups of low average bowlers and high average bowlers. The groups of high average bowlers are more matched for competition among themselves. The same goes for the low average groups, but to put low and high average bowlers into the same league offers a different competitive environment, and this is where it becomes unfair.

So, the discussion has developed to individual bowlers, and not teamed bowlers.

Why is it unfair and how would I make it fair? I agree with post #7. Offer leagues that are designed for closer averaging competition. This way the lower averaging bowlers can have the thrill of competition amongst themselves, and for the higher averaging bowlers to have the option of competing in more attractive leagues.

But, wait. Don’t they have them already? I belong to a league that has 2 bowler teams combating head to head with other teams and then switch lanes after every game for 4 games every week for 16 weeks this summer, and it’s handicapped. So, the point I’m getting at is that there are ways of getting into a competitive bowling environment in which the handicap system is not a dominating factor (as would a league having both low and high averaging bowlers), and therefore irrelevant.

That’s my input on this subject.

There were studies done by the USBC a while ago and over the long term, any handicap less than 100% gives the higher average bowler an advantage. For me I think 100% of 300 is the best. I have never seen it used, however.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    USBC Bronze Level Coach
    http://bowling.psaunders.net

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by psaunders300 View Post
    There were studies done by the USBC a while ago and over the long term, any handicap less than 100% gives the higher average bowler an advantage. For me I think 100% of 300 is the best. I have never seen it used, however.
    Heres a link to the USBC information

Click here for THE FACTS ABOUT HANDICAPS

Excerpt:
    THE FACTS ABOUT HANDICAPS
    The United States Bowling Congress (USBC) defines handicapping as the means of placing
    bowlers and teams of varying degrees of bowling skill on as equitable a basis as possible for
    their competition against each other.
    Hasn’t this been accomplished in leagues, which use a handicap in their competitions?
    FACT: The results of an extensive four year study of all types of handicap leagues -- mixed, all
    women and all men -- disclosed that the handicap percentages most widely used today -- 75%,
    80% and 70%, with 66-2/3 a distant fourth – do NOT achieve this goal as illustrated by the
    results obtained in the study as follows:

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 60

Default HC

I like Andy-Capp hot fries, yum...

Back to the original question I find handicaps a good way to level the playing field for fun leagues. I'm a little experienced but very compeititive when it comes to bowling. I would like to get into a tournament or league that uses none in a year or two.

But yes I have to agree with another poster that if my our team is considerably doing much better than an unskilled team YET we lose I find that irritating.

owl

Chats: 0

I understand that it can be irritating to roll much higher games than your opponents but still lose due to handicap pins. But the only way to eliminate that would be for all leagues to be scratch only. I'd guess that would eliminate 95% of bowlers and kill the sport.

Once again, with the exception being the sandbagger (cheater), I believe unless a handicap is based off of 100% of 300 then over time the higher skilled player will most often have the advantage. And like another poster said, I've never seen a handicap system like that.

Handicaps can cause a problem for a few reasons. First of all, the average used to establish the starting handicap of a bowler can entice them to sandbag. In my Monday league, the pattern is always the same, certain bowlers/teams lose alot of games early in the season, and everyone looks at them and knows....sandbaggers.

Three in particular are notorious for it. Every year, they start the season averaging 180 or so, opening in the tenth when they have games won. Then, every year, their teams perform better in the second half, and they are among the "most improved" bowlers, finishing the season between 195 and 200.

Every year I lobby for the same adjustment to the rules: Previous year's average must be used for the first few weeks, then current averages are used for the remainder of the season. They want to sandbag? Fine...lose alot of games early and see if you can make it up. It never passes, but over time it has put everyone on notice that sandbagging will not be taken lightly, and it is much less prevalent now.

Teams can also be "mis-matched" in a league. This usually happens when some band of pinheads decides they want to take a powerhouse, competitive team into a FUN league. They win a few years in a row, everyone else gets frustrated and changes the rules to get themselves MORE handicap without changing the percentage...raise it to 90, 95, 100 percent and see what happens. The bullies will leave because now a 130 average bowler doesnt lose 18 pins (80% of 220) or 9 pins (90% of 220) to a scratch bowler. Then you can change it back if you want, or just leave it..."just for fun" leagues are supposed to be just that....FUN.

In a "fun" handicap league, a 130 bowler shooting 180 SHOULD beat a 220 bowler shooting 262. He/she was over average by 50 pins, while the 220 bowler was only up 42. In an 80/220 league, he/she loses by 10, in a 90/220 league, lost by 1.

Lastly, if you are a "high average" bowler (over 200), HELP LESSER BOWLERS IMPROVE!!! So what if they beat you next time? It's a game...it's supposed to be fun.
    Last edited by mdmjdm; 05-02-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Chats: 60

Default post #16

Post #16 is right on the money with this topic. Great post!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mdmjdm View Post
    Lastly, if you are a "high average" bowler (over 200), HELP LESSER BOWLERS IMPROVE!!! So what if they beat you next time? It's a game...it's supposed to be fun.
    AMEN! I still remember my first season bowling and having John Roth, ( no relation to the PBA hall of famer), give me advice during practice. Then one of his teammates came over and angrily told him not to help me.

I help people all the time, even if they are bowling against me...unless its for money...lol

Usually it's helping them line up, which really irritates some others...god forbid I pass on some knowledge.

And, if you really ARE a good bowler, you should still be able to prevail, right?

Chats: 1

I would love to see a resetting of averages at the half way point, this I think would help to maintain a truer average. As we all know once you get several weeks into the league it's much more difficult to raise your average. By resetting the averages in the middle of the season it would help level the playing field by forcing players who have improved to maintain there true average, and would help to cut down on sandbagging. As far as numbers go I believe that there shouldn't be any handicap over 100, at least for adults.
    Good luck and good bowling
    Bill

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast