Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think constitutes a fair handicap?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Ummm, excuse me, one of my leagues is scratch. I don't care about handicap. Either way I win some and lose some. No big deal really. I just try to control what I can to the best of my ability which would be my bowling. That's why I practice at least 5 days a week. I can't control how a league is set up but they don't force me to bowl in them either. I bowl leagues for fun and tournaments for money.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default What do I think constitutes a fair handicap?

When bowling Jason, a broken thumb on throwing hand, bare feet, and a bottle of Yukon Jack 100 proof~ Then maybe it would be fair!!!! LOL

Blog Entries
    Chats: 8

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I looked at your profile says you have a 140 average, I wouldn't cast stones, You're getting a lot handicap yourself, shoot you'd be one of the ones the higher averages would be complaining about having too much handicap.

As for complaints about handicap, I'll fall back here on the old tried and true answer. Go bowl on a scratch league.

I know what everyone will say "Well we don't have scratch leagues here". Well if all the bowlers who are complaining would go to the house and say we want to start a scratch league you might get one started.

But nobody will do it.
    I may have a 140 average this week but it has been increasing each week. I have no problem bowling without a handicap. I am very confident with my ability and equipment that I don't pay attention to handicaps. I also just bowled on of the top 10 scores last week.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by TheSheibs View Post
    I may have a 140 average this week but it has been increasing each week. I have no problem bowling without a handicap. I am very confident with my ability and equipment that I don't pay attention to handicaps. I also just bowled on of the top 10 scores last week.
    Okay right here you just gave the perfect example of why people complain about handicap.

Your a improving bowler.

You have a low average and a high handicap. But Now you are bowling your average or higher more often. Which in turn means you'll have higher handicap games , you win games, brackets etc. more often.

Now thats why bowlers with higher averages than you, who lost to you, are sitting there saying "handicaps unfair" "The only reason you or your team won was because of the handicap" "look he was on the top ten list last week, now he bowled lower than that, he's sandbagging"

When you win do you say its just because of handicap or is it because you bowled good?

In your example of playing the team with a 83 handicap, you said you lost but you didn't bowl that hot. Right there your saying the reason you lost wasn't handicap, but that you bowled bad.

Should you have won even if you bowled bad?

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I'm still trying to figure out how a bowler that can pick up any spare, on any condition, in any alley, at any time, only be averaging 140
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries

I'm averaging a 140 due to having a ball that was set up as a spare and had to fight it to curve it. I also had 10 years of not bowling due to surfing my country. I'm in my first ear back bowling regularly. I admit I'm a little rusty but am starting to get back to where I should be.

As for last week losing to a team with an 83 handicap. Yes, we lost because of their handicap. The scratch games had us winning two out of three plus the series. With having a bad night, we could have taken three wins and be in 5th place. Due to their handicap giving them two games plus the series, meant that we ended up one win out of 5th.

Also I don't care about handicaps. If you have a good night of bowling and hit a high game, and you have a higher scratch total, you should win. I have no problem losing to a team with higher averages and higher scores. Doesn't matter to me. I just want to get out of the house, do something I'm passionate about, and have fun doing it. I shouldn't win because of having a high handicap, I should win by bowling a higher game than the opponent.

To answer your question. No, we shouldn't have won even if we bowled bad. Without their handicap we still scored higher even with having a bad night. We all still had games at our average or slightly higher. I have no problem bowling scratch only. If I do good and win great, if I do bad and lose oh-well. Losing is not the end of the world.

Blog Entries

How about adding another part to the league sheet. Scratch wins and losses and change the other win/lose column to be HDCP win/lose? Then add prizes to the team that has the most scratch game wins? So the top three teams with the most HDCP win/loses get prizes at the end of the season and the team that has the highest scratch game wins get something at the end too. Just a thought but what do you guys think about that?

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Our league does 80% of 230, which is about the high average. Often my team has a 100 or more pin advantage to start the game, but it's gone by the 5th frame. We manged to bowl ourselves out of last place in the final night. Sure a low average bowler has a better chance of having a big night, proportionally. But the point is they don't do it, ON AVERAGE. Or their average would be higher. All the opposing team has to do is to bowl their average and they win by 20% if the team they're bowling does the same. Hey Al, think Sandi would want to bowl on a scratch league? LOL!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    Hey Al, think Sandi would want to bowl on a scratch league? LOL!
    She wouldn't care as long as she was bowling with me.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    Our league does 80% of 230, which is about the high average. Often my team has a 100 or more pin advantage to start the game, but it's gone by the 5th frame. We manged to bowl ourselves out of last place in the final night. Sure a low average bowler has a better chance of having a big night, proportionally. But the point is they don't do it, ON AVERAGE. Or their average would be higher. All the opposing team has to do is to bowl their average and they win by 20% if the team they're bowling does the same. Hey Al, think Sandi would want to bowl on a scratch league? LOL!
    I agree 100 percent~~ In fact I have said that many times, that a good solid 210 team or higher, will most times beat the team with the lower averages!
    I see it a lot in my very short 2 years of bowling. People with low averages as you said usually bowl in that area, only once in while will they have" the big" game that is in reaity, the average of the 210 and up bowlers.. The better bowlers win on the leagues I have been on so far, even if some teams get big
    handicap pins. I am sure its not a all the time thing.... but more times then not it seems to be the case.... JMHO

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast