Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: owlish's accomplishments

Chats: 60

Post owlish's accomplishments

I got my very first 500 series in my bowling history.

That's great! First time for everything...next is...???

Default not sure

Well, I'd like to get my average to 160 or 170 by next month (June 1st). I've been bowling 4 days a week minimum with one day for fun only, keeps it from turning into a chore I suppose. Thanks for asking!

owl

Sounds like a reasonable goal. But dont get caught up in the numbers...focus on making good shots, on executing the shot you have in your mind.

Heck, I say it to myself before each shot..."Throw a good shot, just throw a good shot". It really is amazing how "ignoring" the results and focusing on the execution can improve your numbers.

When I practice, I find my strike line, then focus on throwing good shots. When I do, I turn around immediately and walk back, not watching the result at all...I dont even look at the monitor. Try it once...you most likely will be suprised at the results you post.

Default good tips

I will try that! Walking away from the shot.

Funny you should talk about results. I got some free advice from a TV basketball game. "Let's just play a good game, the score is the result of playing" which I immediately adopted. It is funny how much we want the results to fix themselves when that isn't going to happen.

owl

It is true...execution of YOUR shot is the most important thing in bowling. Good shots will, a majority of the time, result in good scores. Occasionally you will bowl poorly and score well, and you might bowl well and score poorly. Rate yourself on how you BOWLED, not how you SCORED.

I get my mind so "in to" that thought at times that I will actually confuse and offend people...because I will show disgust at the shot I threw, it somehow gets to the pocket and strikes, and my irritation with myself is mis-interpreted. I have explained and apologized for that before...some people believe I should be happy with anything that falls...

Chats: 1

Congratulations Kurt, now you know that there's no limit to what you can do, so keep on shooting. I also agree with John about paying attention to you bowling and not your score. I like to try to bowl each frame as if it were the first, and not worry about the one before it. That way all you think about is that perfect strike, or if need be that text book spare. It's amazing how quickly the score adds up that way. Another thing I'll do when practicing is devote some time for the corner pins if needed. Sounds like you're on the right track so keep it up and have fun, by the way you'll probably find that your highest game will the easiest one you bowl.
    Good luck and good bowling
    Bill

Default No Title

I find that if I work on specific pins I get that pin(s) I'm working on in 3 frames. What I like to do is throw all the time like I'm in league that way every other shot is different. I probably think that is the long way to learn but it keeps it fresh to me. I'm almost to the point where I know what board to stand on for my strike (11 to 13 from center, left toe right handed bowler) and got the mark I aim for down already. What I've been doing is standing on the 11th board every shot and throwing a strike ball. My release needs a lot of work and I've also learned how to push off my ball arm in sync with my right foot moving (I'm a 4-step bowler).

Thx for all the input.

owl

Default high score = 256

Quote Originally Posted by mdmjdm View Post
    That's great! First time for everything...next is...???
    Well you had to ask...

I bowled a 256 today! No open frames. Here is a score sheet link:

Post 100+ pins above average

Also would like to add, my current average is 142 and that score above is 100+ pins above my average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast