Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post videos of you bowling here!

Chats: 60

Default 9½ pin at 0:50

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Lol at 0:45..

Anyway, my form used to look a little like that, when I switched from bowling no thumb to bowling with thumb.

I'll post the first video I took of my thumb with a new video that I'm going to take today, to see how far I've come. It's gone far in the 15 or so months that I've been using my thumb
    Yeah, that 10 pin became a 9½ and froze the pin setter, hehe.

I'd like to see that video, post here when you got it up!

owl

Chats: 106

Form about a year agoKinda crappy angle, but yeah)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3oDswaxHZc
    Average: 150

Form now:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uNl2HojVjE
    Average:~210-220
    (I didn't have much time to take the video because the open bowlers were crowding in and getting annoying.. and I was trying different balls out, in the vid you see the 900Global Breakout(great ball), Storm Invasion, Storm Reign, and Storm Natural.. along with a spare ball.
    Last edited by Drano; 06-14-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    Yee

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Wow Drano, that is a drastic improvement in your aproach and form! Night and Day. Congrats on the big improvement!
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach

Hi all. finally i posted my own bowling video of my release. So let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQNPRt0ZGWA

Blog Entries

Default Not Bad

Quote Originally Posted by emotap r View Post
    Hi all. finally i posted my own bowling video of my release. So let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQNPRt0ZGWA
    You have good timing on your shot. That is a problem a lot of people spend a long time trying to get correct. By leaving your hand on the side of the ball during your backswing and release, you get rotation on the ball, but it is all side roll. I would recommend learning how to stay behind the ball more. Side roll will make the ball hook, but it will also slow down the momentum into the pocket. In a perfect world, you would want to get an even amount of forward roll and side roll at the same time. This creates a ball reaction that will actually add power to the pins and still have a good entry angle to maximize scores. The best way to practice this is to put a piece of tape on your positive axis point, and then see what angle the tape is aimed while rolling down the lane. You would want the tape to be aimed at a 45 degree angle from where you release the ball. Also, you want the tape to be as close to halfway up the ball as possible. Most people don't get it down to halfway, but as close as you can get it the better the reaction will be. The way you release it right now, the tape would be aimed directly back at you. Here is a poor quality video that depicts what I am talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2dfrWXFt2s. The first is about 15 degrees, the second is about 30 degrees, and the third one is about 45 degrees and creates the best ball reaction, but all three are good for different reasons. The 90 degree angle that you release at is too much angle to get good drive through the pins. I hope this makes sense to you! If not feel free to send me a message and ask for clarification. Good luck and Good Bowling!
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member

What is Bowling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg_Qvk60soY

Let me know what you guys think, I know the video sucks, my friend didn't turn my phone sideways and Main Event never oils the lanes I swear, the ball hooks so early. Anyways it wasn't my normal or best release but it works. I normally stay lower and come up with the ball. Usually I mess up by standing up with the ball and pulling it.

the second ball was a house ball I threw with two fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielMareina View Post
    You have good timing on your shot. That is a problem a lot of people spend a long time trying to get correct. By leaving your hand on the side of the ball during your backswing and release, you get rotation on the ball, but it is all side roll. I would recommend learning how to stay behind the ball more. Side roll will make the ball hook, but it will also slow down the momentum into the pocket. In a perfect world, you would want to get an even amount of forward roll and side roll at the same time. This creates a ball reaction that will actually add power to the pins and still have a good entry angle to maximize scores. The best way to practice this is to put a piece of tape on your positive axis point, and then see what angle the tape is aimed while rolling down the lane. You would want the tape to be aimed at a 45 degree angle from where you release the ball. Also, you want the tape to be as close to halfway up the ball as possible. Most people don't get it down to halfway, but as close as you can get it the better the reaction will be. The way you release it right now, the tape would be aimed directly back at you. Here is a poor quality video that depicts what I am talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2dfrWXFt2s. The first is about 15 degrees, the second is about 30 degrees, and the third one is about 45 degrees and creates the best ball reaction, but all three are good for different reasons. The 90 degree angle that you release at is too much angle to get good drive through the pins. I hope this makes sense to you! If not feel free to send me a message and ask for clarification. Good luck and Good Bowling!

first of all forgive my english, Yes! you are a good bowling coach indeed. you have a keen eye and a good analysis of my release. as i am just become a qualified bowling coach in my country, i myself still need an advice from another coach to correct my mistake. It takes me months to correct and trying to perfect my timing by doing the timing drill. i'm doing the side-roll just to compensate the condition of the lane. Hand behind the ball release is the best on a freshly heavy oil lane as backend still "clean". this will maintain the ball momentum from it store energy. Please correct me if i'm wrong as i'm still learning to be a good bowler and a bowling coach.

once again thank you DanielMareina
    Regards

Blog Entries

first of all forgive my english, Yes! you are a good bowling coach indeed. you have a keen eye and a good analysis of my release. as i am just become a qualified bowling coach in my country, i myself still need an advice from another coach to correct my mistake. It takes me months to correct and trying to perfect my timing by doing the timing drill. i'm doing the side-roll just to compensate the condition of the lane. Hand behind the ball release is the best on a freshly heavy oil lane as backend still "clean". this will maintain the ball momentum from it store energy. Please correct me if i'm wrong as i'm still learning to be a good bowler and a bowling coach.

once again thank you DanielMareina
    Regards

I am glad to hear that you training to be a coach. The sport of bowling needs as many coaches as it can get. The number one reason people stop bowling is because they don't get better. Hopefully, you can help some people in your country get better! What country do you live in? I have heard of the eastern asian bowlers using a tornado or spinner release to combat dry lanes at the front and heavy oil in the back. What kind of lane conditions do you bowl on? Good luck working on your game, and feel free to ask questions if you have them. Coaching is one of my favorite things to do.
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanielMareina View Post
    I am glad to hear that you training to be a coach. The sport of bowling needs as many coaches as it can get. The number one reason people stop bowling is because they don't get better. Hopefully, you can help some people in your country get better! What country do you live in? I have heard of the eastern asian bowlers using a tornado or spinner release to combat dry lanes at the front and heavy oil in the back. What kind of lane conditions do you bowl on? Good luck working on your game, and feel free to ask questions if you have them. Coaching is one of my favorite things to do.

I live in Singapore. Our bowling scene is not that big..but our national players do won quite a number of international competition. Just to name a few are Yeong-Nathan won the Women World Cup title for Singapore and Remy Ong has added the Macau International Open Tenpin Bowling Championship to his list of wins this year. Spinners or helicopters are originated from Taipei which gain popularity here in asia. Ball weight between 11-13lbs are perfect for spinners. "shallow" release are best for spinners diff. from abrupt or moderate swing plane for hook bowlers.

oh btw my wife is also a bowler. so what do you think of her release.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb7A3TQJk0k

and some of my friends
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AS_gbKaZug
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn23VmxBQ5o

cheers

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I live in Singapore. Our bowling scene is not that big..but our national players do won quite a number of international competition. Just to name a few are Yeong-Nathan won the Women World Cup title for Singapore and Remy Ong has added the Macau International Open Tenpin Bowling Championship to his list of wins this year. Spinners or helicopters are originated from Taipei which gain popularity here in asia. Ball weight between 11-13lbs are perfect for spinners. "shallow" release are best for spinners diff. from abrupt or moderate swing plane for hook bowlers.

oh btw my wife is also a bowler. so what do you think of her release.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb7A3TQJk0k

and some of my friends
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AS_gbKaZug
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn23VmxBQ5o

cheers
    I have to say that your wife has very good form! I am really impressed with her timing, balance, and follow through. The only thing that I can say about her shot is that she doesn't get her hand behind the ball. She is kind of on top of the ball instead. She still gets the ball to rotate correctly, but she could improve the ball roll by getting the hand behind the ball. This usually is a little harder for women, due to lack of strength in the wrist. Other than that, she is definately talented.

As for your friends, they both are pretty good too. All 4 of you have good body posture and form. Dennis begins his hand rotation a little too early in his arm swing. Although he rotates the ball well, he is really limiting the amount of revs he gets on the ball by starting his wrist rotation that early. Other than that, he is pretty good.

Your other friend has excellent body posture and form. He, like your wife, stays on top of the ball instead of behind it. He not only limits his revs and axis rotation this way, but the ball also comes off his hand weird. If he could stay behind the ball, he will notice the ball start to roll off his thumb and then his fingers. Right now, his thumb comes out first, but not by much, and his fingers are left trying to pull the ball into rotation, instead of just having to guide it. I would say that all of you have good form, and really practice is what you need most.
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast