Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How heavy of a ball do you use?

Default How heavy of a ball do you use?

In 9 pin bowling I usually use a 12 pound ball, but I find it hard to swing sometimes. If I am going for a spare I will always use a 14-15 pound ball because it follows a more direct path then using a lighter ball I find. What kind of weight do you use?

I actually usually use a 16 pound ball. It keeps the momentum going and gives it more ball speed after the initial start up . I think the more weight to it actually helps you hit more pins and get a strike

i use a 14 pound ball. its supposed to be 10% of your body weight so i should be useing a 13 which would be so nice. but all mine are 14 it gets so tiring after even 10 games i just wish i could switch to 13 pound ones i think it'd give me more control and bowl better. also too big puts strain on you and your body and could leave you prone to injury.
    Keep throwing them strikes and keep your head up! How else are you supposed to watch them?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Personally, I use 16. As does Missy Belinder, who I'd be very surprised if she was 160 lbs. If the fit is correct, and the armswing truly generated by gravity rather than muscle, why would it be so tiring? And where does one bowl 9 pin?

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

I use 15.....15 is the new 16
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

I usually use the 16 pound balls, but sometimes when I feel a strain in my shoulders or muscles, I will drop 1or 2 pounds. As balls ranges from 6 to 16 pound in 1-pound increment, it is always a good idea to drop 1 lb if you are feeling tired or strained.

I've dropped from 15 to 14 to 13#...
    Bicep tendon tear, and some rotator cuff damage.

I still carry fairly well...Haven't shot an honor score with the lighter weight yet.

I find a difference in 13# light to 13# medium, in carry.
    I now try to get 13-8, 13-10#, before drilling.
    Hopefully, I will be able to get back up to 15#, or at least 14#.

At least,I can still bowl, without pain...
    I'd have a hard time not bowling.

do heavier weights carry better?
    Keep throwing them strikes and keep your head up! How else are you supposed to watch them?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Quote Originally Posted by winzeses3 View Post
    do heavier weights carry better?
    well it depends on what weights your talking about but 15 hits harder than a 16
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Quote Originally Posted by onefrombills View Post
    well it depends on what weights your talking about but 15 hits harder than a 16
    Define harder. If the ball speed is the same simple physics says that a heavier ball will hit the pins with more force, therefore your statement doesn't ring true. Now if you're throwing the 15 faster, I suppose there would be a rate of speed that would exceed that force amount, but there go the apples and oranges comparison again. How many variables are we changing? I'll bet an 11 pound ball in the hand of Robert Smith would hit harder than any 15 or 16 lb ball either of us could throw.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast