Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to zone out before a game

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Hmm, I'm of the opinion that the PBA and/or the USBC wanted too much coin for sponsorship, and that's why we don't have "the official beer of the PBA", or "of bowling." Miller used to be a sponsor, as was Bud in the "olden" days.

But back to the topic: how does one zone in? By being ready to bowl, whatever it takes for that person. Amy Stolz listens to "No Handlebars" by the Flobots. I check my equipment, the lanes, and my beverages. (The wife and I usually get a bucket.) I'm always early, I really hate being late and rushed to get ready. I ready my body and brain as best I can and away we go.

Chats: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Baroncad View Post
    For me it's:
    1. Be at the Lanes 15 minutes before practice starts.
    2. Get ready (shoes on, balls out of the bag)
    3. Get beer
    4. Smoke a cig

After all that Bowl like crud.
    had to fix two of your points, but you have the exact same ritual that I do! hahahaha. Especially the bowl like crud part. I seem to have mastered that part. But, to me, it's not about how well I bowl. My league is on a wednesday, and it's just a wonderful break from work and everything else, to laugh with friends and do a little bowling.

I'm kind of getting concerned, because I've been bowling a league for 3 years now, and now I've joined a bowling forum. I think I'm getting diseased. And then there's the issue of SBAS (Sudden Ball Acquisition Syndrome).... That's a disease for which there is no cure.... When I start getting TOO concerned about scoring high, and not having fun, I think I need to quit. hahaha.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    I'm kind of getting concerned, because I've been bowling a league for 3 years now, and now I've joined a bowling forum. I think I'm getting diseased. And then there's the issue of SBAS (Sudden Ball Acquisition Syndrome).... That's a disease for which there is no cure.... When I start getting TOO concerned about scoring high, and not having fun, I think I need to quit. hahaha.
    I've been bowling for a little over a year (Leagues) and have become very concerned about getting better and I have a serious SBAS 6 balls in one year (psst...the better half, thinks it 4 so that's keep that to ourselves shall we)

Your right once you stop having fun, it might be time to put yourself into timeout.
    All pins are POSSESSED, I'm just happy to be able to exorcise the poor dears and put them out of their misery.
    It's the least I can do
    High Game: 265
    High Series: 665
    Avg.: 180

I'm a proud member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Arriving at least 15 minutes early...seen this posted a few times now and some stretching will relax ya !!!!
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Um, I'm Mr. Bad Example with cigs. I smoked for 29 years. Two aneurisms and a heart valve later I think that everyone who can quit should. It's your choice, but you don't want to go through what I did.

Chats: 19

Quote Originally Posted by onefrombills View Post
    Arriving at least 15 minutes early...seen this posted a few times now and some stretching will relax ya !!!!
    The lanes where I bowl, showing up 30 minutes early will SOMETIMES mean you get a halfway decent table. I don't know what some people do in life, but on rare occasions, traffic will part, and I'll get to the lanes 30 minutes, or more, early, and all the tables are gone.... Good grief!

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    Um, I'm Mr. Bad Example with cigs. I smoked for 29 years. Two aneurisms and a heart valve later I think that everyone who can quit should. It's your choice, but you don't want to go through what I did.
    Good advice for anyone. I've been proud of myself. For the most part, I'm down to maybe 3 cancer sticks a day, but bowling nights seem to bring out the worst in me. I'll probably smoke 10 on bowling nights, and 3 any other day. I'm hoping to get that number down to 0, but cold turkey seems to be too hard.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    The lanes where I bowl, showing up 30 minutes early will SOMETIMES mean you get a halfway decent table. I don't know what some people do in life, but on rare occasions, traffic will part, and I'll get to the lanes 30 minutes, or more, early, and all the tables are gone.... Good grief!

Good advice for anyone. I've been proud of myself. For the most part, I'm down to maybe 3 cancer sticks a day, but bowling nights seem to bring out the worst in me. I'll probably smoke 10 on bowling nights, and 3 any other day. I'm hoping to get that number down to 0, but cold turkey seems to be too hard.
    You could do it Art. I quit cold turkey at age 51 ( Now 55 ) after smoking since I was 16 . I had a heart attack and that made my mind up. But being in the hospital for a week without being able to get out of bed and have one did it for me. When I finally got home from the hospital I didn't crave or have the urge to have one. You copuld do it .
    Hammer Team Member /
    Hammer Message Board Moderator
    NOTHING HITS LIKE A HAMMER

PBA Eastern region Senior Touring Player

Super Moderator

Hell of a way to quit, though, isn't it, sir? You decide if you want to keep smoking or keep living. Well, hopefully, this last episode was the last of the smoking damage that will need to be fixed. It's a bear without that wakeup call, but it can be done. I stopped after the first aneurism repair. I still had the urge for a long time, but just resolved each day to not smoke that day. It's a huge cliche, but it's one day at a time.

Lightbulb

there seems to be a common thread that we all agree on and that is : to arive early. this is probably the single most important element in having a good set. early arrival allows you to relax, chit chat, and take your time suiting up.

the mental game is the x-factor in bowling, but very important. chris barnes can tell you about that. i too have worked extensively on my mental game, to the point that NOTHING DISTRACTS ME. i learned early on in life that if you can't focus, you cannot achieve. this topic was discussed on the lane #1 bowling forum, and this is what i shared with my fellow sawheads: there is an old saying in wrestling, " control the head and you control the whole body". this saying is oh so true. we apply this to bowling: where the mind goes, the body follows. if you control your emotions and center your thoughts then you notice physiological improvements. when you center your thoughts, your eyes tend to settle so you can lock in on your target.

your breathing should be even and relaxed, your movements are relaxed and natural, thus making your efforts deliberate and purposeful. you have a period of clarity, if you will.

please let me contribute 2 sayings that go together: where the mind goes, the body follows, then the other similar, wheather you think you can or if you think you can't............you're right.

good bowling,
    bowls: right handed, average: 208 and rising, style: tweener
    ball company: Lane #1
    rev rate: 385 rpm

breakin' sucka's jaws with my saws

Lane #1 baby.......on the grind

U.S.B.C. CERTIFIED COACH

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by djbigsmooth View Post
    We all agree on and that is : to arrive early.

Your breathing should be even and relaxed, your movements are relaxed and natural, thus making your efforts deliberate and purposeful. you have a period of clarity, if you will.

Please let me contribute 2 sayings that go together:
    Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    Whether you think you can or if you think you can't............you're right.
    I couldn't agree more with this, now if I could zip up the two loud mouths who constantly scream just at the wrong time I would be golden (bronze at least).
    All pins are POSSESSED, I'm just happy to be able to exorcise the poor dears and put them out of their misery.
    It's the least I can do
    High Game: 265
    High Series: 665
    Avg.: 180

I'm a proud member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast