Thread: right arm follows through too far right???

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default right arm follows through too far right???

OK I'm going to start you out with a laugh.

i have a 3 step approach and i start with my dominate side so in other words I'm sliding on my right foot and I'm right handed. i don't know if that is useful or not to this next question but my family still thinks its funny.

so i have a 14lb ball i almost stand dead center maybe half a dot off left or right I've notice on my approach that i start to waver and head right, i usually end up around the 3rd dot and release the ball. now my hand stays under the ball as i hook it but it some how ends up to far right and i pull left.

what could be the possible causes.

by the way i cant stop the 3 step approach its genetic i guess its the way my mom pitched softball lol
    Last edited by lakota_bowler127; 07-25-2010 at 01:53 AM.

Chats: 106

I'm sure you can stop the 3-step approach if you put a little effort into it, I've never heard of something like that
    Yee

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by lakota_bowler127 View Post
    OK I'm going to start you out with a laugh.

i have a 3 step approach and i start with my dominate side so in other words I'm sliding on my right foot and I'm right handed. i don't know if that is useful or not to this next question but my family still thinks its funny.

so i have a 14lb ball i almost stand dead center maybe half a dot off left or right I've notice on my approach that i start to waver and head right, i usually end up around the 3rd dot and release the ball. now my hand stays under the ball as i hook it but it some how ends up to far right and i pull left.

what could be the possible causes.

by the way i cant stop the 3 step approach its genetic i guess its the way my mom pitched softball lol
    I've seen a few bowlers who slide on the wrong foot. I've thought about correcting them, but they usually throw a few really good shots before I make up my mind, and I say, "well, it works for them."
    I think you should try and change your approach. Sliding on your left foot should improve your balance at the line and make it easier to put the ball on the lane in the same spot. I would try by deliberately starting with your left foot and taking your usual three steps. If that doesn't work ( give it 2 or 3 practice games ) You probably need a coach to help you work this out. A coach should be able to help you develop strong fundamental skills for your approach, swing and release. Good Luck!

I would recommend changing your approach so you slide on your left foot. It will provide you with a lot more balance at the line and allow you to set the ball down better. As for drifting to the right a dot, the best way to fix this is to pay attention to your steps in your approach. Try not to walk towards your mark. Instead try to put one foot in front of the other through your approach.

Drifting some in general is not bad. If you drift the same amount every time, and its not too much, say a few boards then its a non-issue. But if you drift a lot and/or inconsistently drift you need to work on walking straighter.

Hope this helps some

-Chris

Chats: 1

Eric, I'm no expert but, it sounds to me that you are swinging your arm away from your body trying to keep from hitting yourself. When you start on the left and swing with the right the first thing you need to do is get your a-s out of the way to keep your arm swing straight. I have a feeling that it would be rather difficult to do and keep any sense of balance in your situation. You may try a 4 step so you can start with your right and end on your left enabling you to shift your a-s to the left and keep the arm swing straight. Just a suggestion.
    Good luck and good bowling
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Chats: 16

Default Coach needed

A certified coach would be a welcome addition to your problem. When it comes to the finish on the approach, finishing on the dominant side is not good. I have seen this before. Your body is trying to get out of the way. Help it and yourself by contacting a local coach.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

I am a certified coach, and first of all, the drifting you are talking about is human instinct. Most people that slide on their left foot will move their left foot 2 or 3 boards to the right on their last step. This is because it creats balance of your body weight at a center point. By standing on your right foot and having the bowling balls weight and momentum on your right side, it is completely normal for your body to move that way to creat balance.

As for your arm going to the right, the person above could be right. It could be you getting the ball too far away from your leg when releasing. My guess would be that your arm moves to where it does to create a more balanced feeling. To stay underneath the ball and come up the back of the ball takes more balance than you can do on that right foot. Having a coach watch you would be a good idea.

The first thing I got taught while becoming a certified coach is that everything I plan on teaching people, I should practice on myself. So they tell you to teach yourself to bowl in house shoes and with a house ball while using my weak hand. I am inept left handed at everything! It took me about of week to be able to keep the ball on the lane more than 50% of the time. Trust me when I tell you, you can fix your approach. It will take effort, and your scores will go way down while trying to learn it, but it will raise the ceiling of how good you can get by a bunch. Good luck and keep at it!
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach