Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a perfectionist ?

Chats: 0

Default Are you a perfectionist ?

One of the biggest challenges for sports today is our
    society's view of achievement. We live in a world that rewards
    perfectionism in school, sports and work.

Perfectionists are usually easy to spot. They are very hard-
    working athletes and usually are highly motivated, but often for
    the wrong reasons.

Here are the top eight signs of perfectionists. They:

* Generally perform better in practice than game situations.

* Want to excel badly, which makes them anxious and afraid of
    failing.

* Are afraid of making mistakes.

* Worry too much about what other people think about them.

* Try too hard to ensure their performance is "perfect."

* View performance as either good or bad, with no middle ground.

* Harbor unrealistic or very strict expectations about their
    performance.

* Are fearful of letting others down if they make mistakes.

Perfectionists have a double-edged mentality. They love to work
    hard and make their performance perfect. However, the same work
    ethic holds them back in competition because they want so badly
    want to succeed.

Fear of failure causes them to fold under pressure.

I think I have a pretty good mentality when it comes to bowling. I am the anchorman on my team, and if it comes down to me needing to perform in the last frame to cover pin total or something I am likely going to get the ball into the pocket (not saying I am going to always strike, but I throw good shots in these situtaions all the time).... I work fairly hard on keeping everything natural on the lanes... I have my mechanics to where I can pretty much easily repest myself, the only thing I lack at times is making small movements right when I should instead of "making something work" for a line... If I throw a bad shot I can be unhappy with myself for a few minutes like everyone else, but I get over it and throw the next frame with a fresh attitude...

Bowling is a fun game, and unless you are going to make it your full time job to bowl, I cant see getting bent out of shape about performance...

Chats: 3

i have all of those signs

Blog Entries
    Chats: 16

Default I have seen this before.

I have seen the PBA wannabee for as long as I can remember. I love to bowl with them. I have seen them fold up under pressure from the simplest things. More than one, has created a bad feel on the lanes. If you get lucky against one of these, you might just own them for the rest of the league. One person was so upset that I got him by one pin in the Peterson system, he hit the wall and broke his hand. Real bright. Do not be this guy. It is a game. I do it for fun and socializing.

Are these points philosophical or is there a science to it?

The list comes from,Patrick Cohn, Ph.D., Mental Training Expert
    & Lisa Cohn, Youth Sports Parenting Author.Mr Cohn is one of the most
    sought after sports psychologists in the country.

Yeah... this describes me pretty well. Well most of it at least

-Chris
    http://www.bowlingballdb.com/
    Bowling Ball Database
    Reviews, Comparisons and videos
    Come check us out!

*Worry too much about what other people think about them.

The more we measure our abilities and successes on how others will perceive us, the more nerves influence our behavior.

Have you ever noticed the times when you could care less about what people thought about you? And if it was a time when you were playing sports you likely performed quite well. When you have no regard for what others think of you you are free to focus on what it is you actually want to achieve!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 16

Default Absolutely right.

I have coached adults and jrs for years. One of the best pieces of advise I gave them was bowl your game. Stick with the fundamentals and see what happens. There is nothing you can do about your opponent. Just bowl as best you can at the moment.

So your a perfectionist. So what! You want to win, you'll do anything to succeed, and you'll consider yourself useless if you don't. Is there a more serious price to pay by adopting this stance? Below are some of the problems associated with perfectionism:

1. Many forms of physical illness including coronary artery disease are more prevalent among individuals with perfectionist tendencies

2. Mood disorders such as anxiety and depression are common among perfectionists

3. Intense self-criticism leads to intolerance of others when they fail to meet unrealistically high standards, often resulting in resentment and relationship difficulties

4. Focusing on flaws and mistakes depletes energy. This may escalate to panic-like states prior to competition, impairing smooth performance

5. Creativity is robbed and learning stunted by not trying newer and perhaps riskier methods

6. Excessive self-criticism takes the enjoyment out of sport and life

Here are a few tips consistent with attempting to become less perfectionsistic:

1. Change your absolute standards and begin appreciating even minor successes by setting lower goals .

2. Realize that others are less interested in how you might perform than you think. Accept yourself as worthy of the same amount of acceptance regardless of how well you perform.

3. Focus on the enjoyable aspects of the sport. Try to appreciate performance and let the outcome take care of itself.

4. Allow yourself to make mistakes. Think of long-term improvement rather than immediate success or failure.

5. Ignore the outcome completely and simply try to achieve one performance goal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast