Thread: Theory Review

Default Theory Review

Ball specs – 15 lbs 4 oz, 2.84 top weight, 2.5/8-inch pin.

The Theory was drilled using the dual angle method. The layout is a 4 ˝ inch pin, 50-degree drill angle and a 70-degree VAL angle. An x-hole was needed and drilled at the intersection of the VAL line and a line drawn from the grip center through the CG to the VAL line. This would be approximately a P 2.5 hole. Using Storm’s layout terminology the layout would be 4 ˝ by 4 ˝ by 4. The cover was left OOB.

Let me start by saying the Theory is the strongest Roto Grip ball I have thrown to date. When compared to the Mutant, the Theory has an earlier and stronger mid lane read and still hooks more and harder on the back end. The motion and carry of the Theory are both exceptional. I was bowling on a longer, mid volume pattern similar to the Kegel Route 66 pattern. I was approximately 5 and 2 to 7 and 3 deeper with the Theory than the Mutant and had a better ball motion and much better carry.

The Theory breaks new ground for Roto Grip regarding ball strength and ball motion. The design team has out done themselves with this new core/cover design and match.

John Brodersen
    Last edited by John Brodersen; 11-01-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Storm just sent me a Roto Grip Theory the other day. I was thinking about drilling it with a 4"x4"x1.5". I haven't seen one thrown yet, but you saying it is stronger than a mutant makes me think twice about such a strong layout. I would like this ball for heavier oil conditions, but I would like to be able to throw it on a house shot without having to loft gutter cap. I have 390 Revs and throw the ball a little over 16mph. As someone who has thrown this ball, would you think it could still be played on a house shot at 4X4?
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach