Thread: Newbie here!

Default Newbie here!

Hello everyone! I'm DaRoadHawg and I like to bowl...(duh! Very uncomfortable with intros.) I'm currently in a league called the Saints & Sinners on Sundays at the Brunswick Mesa alley in Mesa, AZ. My average is around 150 - 155 and I use a Hammer RoadHawg at 15 lbs. I got it from my brother in law who is a Hammer faithful. I used to bowl with a 16 lbs Fabal/Hammer Nail (Yes, I know...really old ball). I got that one at the local Goodwill for like $2.99. I got it redrilled to fit me at the Bowlers Zone located in the Brunswick Mesa by Chris Barnes and loved the way it traveled.

I used to bowl in a Junior Bowling league back in the day, like in '86 or something like that where I bowled my first 300 game ever. Didn't bowl for a long while after that, then bowled off and on while residing in Arizona since 1998.

Well I wanted to get into a forum to get tips from other faithful bowlers and up my game as much as I can, and of course as much as I can afford. But I am looking at trying to get more speed out of the HRH. I currently tried tucking my pinky to get more revs out of it and love how it bites and hits the pocket. My speed is currently clocked between hi 11's and low 12's mph. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello again and good bowling to all!

DaRoadHawg

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Well, let me be the first to say "Welcome!" I'm sure you'll find it interesting, informative and enjoyable.

Chats: 0

Happy you find this place.

You couldn't ask for better people to interact with than here.

Welcome to the boards.

Paddy
    All pins are POSSESSED, I'm just happy to be able to exorcise the poor dears and put them out of their misery.
    It's the least I can do
    High Game: 265
    High Series: 665
    Avg.: 180

I'm a proud member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

welcome to the site and as a fellow AZ bowler welcome!!!!!!!

If you need anything please just ask as everyone on the board is here to answer any question and please post post ...POST!!!!!
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Thanks for the welcome. Do you have any tips on getting more speed out of my ball? I am looking at trying to get more speed out of the HRH. I currently tried tucking my pinky to get more revs out of it and love how it bites and hits the pocket. My speed is currently clocked between hi 11's and low 12's mph. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

well for starters raise the ball up and that will increase the speed
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Bowler

Chats: 3

As Brian said, raise the ball higher in the start position. Let gravity do all the work. The higher start will position will result in a higher back swing and more arm speed at the release point.

Don't try to "muscle" the ball. That leads to many problems.
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by DaRoadHawg View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm DaRoadHawg and I like to bowl...(duh! Very uncomfortable with intros.) I'm currently in a league called the Saints & Sinners on Sundays at the Brunswick Mesa alley in Mesa, AZ. My average is around 150 - 155 and I use a Hammer RoadHawg at 15 lbs. I got it from my brother in law who is a Hammer faithful. I used to bowl with a 16 lbs Fabal/Hammer Nail (Yes, I know...really old ball). I got that one at the local Goodwill for like $2.99. I got it redrilled to fit me at the Bowlers Zone located in the Brunswick Mesa by Chris Barnes and loved the way it traveled.

I used to bowl in a Junior Bowling league back in the day, like in '86 or something like that where I bowled my first 300 game ever. Didn't bowl for a long while after that, then bowled off and on while residing in Arizona since 1998.

Well I wanted to get into a forum to get tips from other faithful bowlers and up my game as much as I can, and of course as much as I can afford. But I am looking at trying to get more speed out of the HRH. I currently tried tucking my pinky to get more revs out of it and love how it bites and hits the pocket. My speed is currently clocked between hi 11's and low 12's mph. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello again and good bowling to all!

DaRoadHawg

Hello and a great welcome to the BowlingBoards.com site. It is an honor to have you here.

If you have any needs or suggestions for this site please let me know.
    Go Broncos!

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by DaRoadHawg View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. Do you have any tips on getting more speed out of my ball? I am looking at trying to get more speed out of the HRH. I currently tried tucking my pinky to get more revs out of it and love how it bites and hits the pocket. My speed is currently clocked between hi 11's and low 12's mph. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I bowl around the same speed as you. I tried to raise my ball up and keep the same tempo through my down swing. I think it helped me
    Go Broncos!