Thread: Bowling Rules, hate them or love them?

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Default Bowling Rules, hate them or love them?

So the bowling rules are set for different reasons. So are their any you love or hate? I know hate is a strong word so maybe Dislike.
    Go Broncos!

Chats: 19

Rules are there for a reason of course, but I'd have to say I think some of them are a little odd. For instance, I just read a thread on this forum about switching righty to lefty. I completely understand the argument posed in that thread. HOWEVER.... My question is, why is it so horrible if someone were to switch hands during a game? Let's say, for example, you throw your first ball and leave the 10 pin. If you're talented enough to pick up that 10 pin left handed, instead of right handed, why not? If it falls, it counts, right? I understand you can't change and change and change, because it would dramatically effect handicap, but in certain situations....... would it be that bad????
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    Rules are there for a reason of course, but I'd have to say I think some of them are a little odd. For instance, I just read a thread on this forum about switching righty to lefty. I completely understand the argument posed in that thread. HOWEVER.... My question is, why is it so horrible if someone were to switch hands during a game? Let's say, for example, you throw your first ball and leave the 10 pin. If you're talented enough to pick up that 10 pin left handed, instead of right handed, why not? If it falls, it counts, right? I understand you can't change and change and change, because it would dramatically effect handicap, but in certain situations....... would it be that bad????
    The simple answer is NO it wouldn't, BUT (there's always a but) some people are ah...rectally challenged about their sport (bowling, darts, horseshoes, bocce ball, etc.) and they might see a un-fair advantage is being taken or they just might be that competitive and are stickler about the rules.

Personally, if someone I was playing against used their opposite hand (left) to take out the 10 pin, they have my blessing. I can't fault someone who is proficient with both hands.
    All pins are POSSESSED, I'm just happy to be able to exorcise the poor dears and put them out of their misery.
    It's the least I can do
    High Game: 265
    High Series: 665
    Avg.: 180

I'm a proud member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

***THIS IS ONLY A JOKE***

I hate that if ya foul you get a "0" Im just shorting the lane
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by onefrombills View Post
    ***THIS IS ONLY A JOKE***

I hate that if ya foul you get a "0" Im just shorting the lane
    Well, you're SUPPOSED to put this here ball in that there gully, push it, and then run down the lane to see how many pins you can knock down before the ball gets there. Isn't that how it works?

Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    Well, you're SUPPOSED to put this here ball in that there gully, push it, and then run down the lane to see how many pins you can knock down before the ball gets there. Isn't that how it works?
    Hmmmm never thought of it that way.....im off to try this !
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member

Look at this rule like this.

Let's say you were bowling in a tournament and you made the finals. It came down to you and your opponent for first place. Both of you throw right handed . The pair that was drawn for the title game has aliitle too much conditioner for your or your opponents liking. You can't bowl with both hands because you are strictly right handed but your opponent can bowl with either his left or right. Now on the left side is a better shot. Would it be fair to you if he switches hands in the 4th frame and comes back to beat you because of the better shot on the left side? That would be considered gaining an unfair advantage.

Not to many years ago PBA member use to throw at some splits with the oppisite hand. You don't see that any more for some reason or another.

I agree with this rule for this purpose.
    Hammer Team Member /
    Hammer Message Board Moderator
    NOTHING HITS LIKE A HAMMER

PBA Eastern region Senior Touring Player

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    look at this rule like this.

Let's say you were bowling in a tournament and you made the finals. It came down to you and your opponent for first place. Both of you throw right handed . The pair that was drawn for the title game has aliitle too much conditioner for your or your opponents liking. You can't bowl with both hands because you are strictly right handed but your opponent can bowl with either his left or right. Now on the left side is a better shot. Would it be fair to you if he switches hands in the 4th frame and comes back to beat you because of the better shot on the left side? That would be considered gaining an unfair advantage.

Not to many years ago pba member use to throw at some splits with the oppisite hand. You don't see that any more for some reason or another.

wow wow wow ??????
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by onefrombills View Post
    Hmmmm never thought of it that way.....im off to try this !
    Did you ever see the Beverly Hillbillies movie? That's what that quote was from..... hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaRay View Post
    Look at this rule like this.

Not to many years ago PBA member use to throw at some splits with the oppisite hand. You don't see that any more for some reason or another.

I'm biased on that, because I'm slightly ambidextrous (used to be on a snare line that played traditional grip, we had to strengthen and build our left hand for more coordination). So my opinion on that matter is probably not as impartial as it should be. I could never bowl GREAT with my left hand, but before I joined a league I used to be pretty decent at picking up pins on the right hand side with my left hand. It was something I just thought was sort of neat, being able to bowl a little with either hand.

Assuming handicap would go unaffected, the way I see it: there are 10 pins down there, go get them. I would actually find it hard to believe there would be a bowler THAT talented to where there's no drop off from the strong hand to the weak hand. I would consider it a disadvantage to them, and welcome the challenge. And if I did feel it was that big of an advantage to them, it'd be more incentive for me to learn what they practiced.

But I'm also a slightly different kind of bowler. I always like seeing other bowlers bowl well. I just hope to maybe bowl a bit better than they do..... I kind of get a funny feeling if I'm bowling someone who is bowling poorly, and I'm bowling poorly as well, but win because SOMEONE had to (hahaha).