Thread: A few things I need help on

Chats: 0

Default A few things I need help on

Okay, Need some help on a few things (also inform others in their knowledge)

First thingy:
    When starting a new League season, what is the reason for a book average?
    Is your average and handicap used from week one or do you average the first three weeks?
    Had my Sunday League President glaze over that last night, direct quote "We will use your last season's league average or book for the first three weeks to establish your average" I'm a little confoozed?

I thought a book average, was used from week one for both your average and handicap. If you have no previous average, the first three weeks are to establish said average, correct?

Second thingy:
    If you join a non-sanctioned league, do you use the USBC book of averages? That was bought to light last night as well.

Third thingy:
    What is a 9x9 block pattern?
    Is it from the 9th board from the channel (gutter) on both sides, that the oil is applied?

Fourth thingy:
    Funny is watching a 300+ lb man tippy-toe because he slid past the foul line. (and no it wasn't ME, really)
    All pins are POSSESSED, I'm just happy to be able to exorcise the poor dears and put them out of their misery.
    It's the least I can do
    High Game: 265
    High Series: 665
    Avg.: 180

I'm a proud member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Quote Originally Posted by Baroncad View Post
    Okay, Need some help on a few things (also inform others in their knowledge)

First thingy:
    When starting a new League season, what is the reason for a book average?
    Is your average and handicap used from week one or do you average the first three weeks?
    Had my Sunday League President glaze over that last night, direct quote "We will use your last season's league average or book for the first three weeks to establish your average" I'm a little confoozed?

I thought a book average, was used from week one for both your average and handicap. If you have no previous average, the first three weeks are to establish said average, correct?

Second thingy:
    If you join a non-sanctioned league, do you use the USBC book of averages? That was bought to light last night as well.

Third thingy:
    What is a 9x9 block pattern?
    Is it from the 9th board from the channel (gutter) on both sides, that the oil is applied?

Fourth thingy:
    Funny is watching a 300+ lb man tippy-toe because he slid past the foul line. (and no it wasn't ME, really)

The reason for the book average is to give the league a starting point for handicap. Scratch leagues really don't need to bother with it unless they're doing some sort of match play seeding. Most leagues use book average for the first 3 weeks or 9 games, whichever comes first, and after that point they'll use the average of those first 9 games. This is really to try to hinder sandbagging, since it's easier for a good bowler to tank the first few weeks than a mediocre bowler to suddenly start bowling well.

The initial 9 games also gives you a chance to get used to the house, the league, the general atmosphere, the way the place plays, though it does force the better players to live up to their abilities or risk being down 9 games to start the season.

I've been in different leagues where "new" or "no average the previous year" bowlers establish on the first night to keep the secretary from having to redo the entire league's wins and losses after the inital 3 weeks. We started last night, and we're doing the 9 games thing, too.

Are you joining a non sanctioned league? If so, why? They'd use the USBC book because there isn't another body that would keep that info to use for handicap. Unless the individual house was keeping those records for their unsanctioned leagues, but if you want to bowl city, county, or state tournaments you will need to be sanctioned. Personally, I hate giving my money to those jerks, but I see the necessity of it.

The way I understand a 9X9 block is that there is oil applied from 9 right to 9 left, and there is no taper to the pattern as it progresses down the lane. Most THS patterns taper toward the middle as it moves down the lane. Is this a short, medium or long pattern?

Hope I was of some assistance to you.
    Last edited by kev3inp; 09-09-2008 at 05:01 AM.

Thanks you were, I guess I missed something.The way my Pres. conveyed the info. it sure seemed conflicting.
    Oh, well I'll find out Sunday.

Again thanks,
    Paddy
    All pins are POSSESSED, I'm just happy to be able to exorcise the poor dears and put them out of their misery.
    It's the least I can do
    High Game: 265
    High Series: 665
    Avg.: 180

I'm a proud member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums

What is Bowling?

Default Sliding over

I have a problem sliding over two or four boards to the right when I get to the foul line. I tryed slowing my feet down and even looking at the left foot when I slide, but feel more comfortable when I look up when I release the ball.