Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for a spare ball?

Chats: 0

Default absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I love going against guys that can't spare. If their carry goes, especially, they're toast. That's why when we play cards the second spare is worth 2 cards. A lot of people don't even reward spares. I think they're more important than strikes. "Strike for show, spare for dough."
    I can't agree more. If you cant pick up your spares than seriously you will lose several games to seemingly lesser bowlers. Over a four games series see who usually wins. The guy picking up his spares and stringing some strikes together. Not the one with open frames. Spares unfortunately became somewhat of a lost art when people starting cranking house balls their fingers couldnt fit in by just palming the ball. They pretty much became strike or nothing players. It looked cool so thats all that mattered. Some of them carried that over to resin balls when they bought their own and for the most part have the same problem. Some exceptions of course. But i dont know a single coach or accomplished player who doesnt feel that somewhat hampered their growth learning that way.

So hooking the ball and strikes are the cool tricks of the trade but seriously watch any PBA event. The loser is the one with the open frame.

I have a brunswick viz a ball i have used for spares for some time. I will say this though. Much like thong princess mentioned occasionally my consistancy becomes an issue at times for me as well. I have recently taken to going after my 10 pin with my strike ball.

A trick i sort of use that I believe ive seen Chris Barnes use as well is i basically do what was mentioned by thong princess and spread out my pinkie(thats what usually I would do anyhow on spare ball) but what i do when i use my strike ball is essentially go back to the old school suitcase release where i have my hand on the side of the ball more. This allows it to still be a resin ball so to speak with some revs and some hook but severly minimized by the fact my hand is not coming around from behind it like normal.

So on a ten pin. Ill make the adjustment. Scoot way over to the opposite gutter or close. And essentially aim further down the lane than my normal targeting and aim for the right to middle side of the ten.

If i do the release correctly the ball will go longer, roll later, hook less but some, and flatten about three feet in front of the pin and take it out.

Ive actually become better at this then using my spare ball for whatever reason.

Thunder-Hammer!

I haven't actually gotten to use my spare ball, but Ive tried flattening my wrists and it is easily a 40/60 hit or miss ratio....I often find myself missing them than hitting them. I havent managed to get a 200 game yet, and I know the main issue is my lack of spares!
    I'm Donny!

Arsenal= all in 15# Hammer Black Widow Venom, BW Clear, Hot sauce, Hammer Clear hammer(my collectible), and Emerald Vibe.

Ebonite Magic , and an Ebonite Maxim spareball

I'm proud to be a member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums!!!

Future PBA Baller
    Chats: 443

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by The KingPin View Post
    Picking up those single pin spares are tough at times, so what do you use to pick up your spares? Do you use a ball just for spares? or do you use your main bowling ball?

Maybe you use your main ball for multiple pin spares, and a plastic ball for single pick-ups?

Let us know what you think is best.
    I use a Plastic vis a ball WWF Raw is WAR ball..
    I tryed useing my strike ball for spares but I could not stop the rotations completely, plastic Slides!
    Last edited by mrbill; 05-30-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling

I have a Brunswick Viz-a-ball Aquarium.
    I am a proud member of www.bowlingboards.com
    My degree is in music, my sport is bowling.
    The love of my life is my husband Kev3inp

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
    I use a Plastic vis a ball WWF Raw is WAR ball..
    I tryed useing my strike ball for spares but I could not stop the rotations completely, plastic Slides!
    I use my strike ball for everything but ten pins and some single pins. If there are double or more pins, its a strike ball. If its the seven pin, strike ball. I just adjust to the right or left depending which side the pins are left on, about two boards and i adjust my target about three boards to the right if say the pins are on the left side. I spread out the pinky, bring in the index, and turn my hand to about 4 oclock to begin the shot. So there is very minimal hook but enough to get to the pin. Ten pins i can sometimes pick this up but usually i will use a spare ball.

My wife on the other hand can kill ten pins with he strike ball.

Future PBA Baller

Thumbs up Strike or spare

Quote Originally Posted by Evilash71 View Post
    I use my strike ball for everything but ten pins and some single pins. If there are double or more pins, its a strike ball. If its the seven pin, strike ball. I just adjust to the right or left depending which side the pins are left on, about two boards and i adjust my target about three boards to the right if say the pins are on the left side. I spread out the pinky, bring in the index, and turn my hand to about 4 oclock to begin the shot. So there is very minimal hook but enough to get to the pin. Ten pins i can sometimes pick this up but usually i will use a spare ball.

My wife on the other hand can kill ten pins with he strike ball.
    I started trying useing my strike ball today to pick up anything head pin and to the left now, It seems easer now that Ive read alot of posts on the subject^^^
    I just move to the right, its different but I'll get used to it....
    Arsenal = Hammer JIGSAW{16lbs} Columbia ICON 300 {16lbs}
    Radical Inferno {15lbs}Black Rahno{16lbs}(WWF Raw is War Viz A Ball {14lbs}
    High Game/Series 263/637
    Try (VT) for winning $$fun http://www.virtualtournaments.com/Default.aspx Say 10sixer sent ya Plz..
    What I always say "LUCK IS EARNED"

What is Bowling?

My spare ball is a T-Zone. I us it for MR. 10 Pin, also use it for some splits. If it starts to turn I'm in big trouble.

Let me say that i experienced the following which has actually helped me. My spare ball apparently had the fingertip grips drilled a slightly bigger drill bit size than the 31/32 suggested by VISE. Apparently many shops do this to save them self the time and effort of fitting the grip in snuggly where as that slight bigger drill size allows it to just fall in basically. Well that "falling in," essentially always made my grip on my spare ball feel a bit off or shifty.

So i had switched to using my strike balls for about three weeks. Got fairly good at it. In fact bowled a 248 today just using my strike ball.

But the point was this. This morning i decided to rip out the old grips and took it down to the pro shop of a guy i really trust who hadn't done that particular ball. He measured and sure enough figured out what i had said. So he fitted me with some grips a half size smaller in finger size from a 5 and 4(in VISE sizes) to a 4 and 3. This was to mimic the feel of the strike ball he had drilled for me correctly.

So i have the grips glued in and drying now and am looking forward to taking the ol spare ball out for those pesky 10 pins again.

So if something feels a bit off it could just be something slight. Who knows.Just something to keep in mind. Im telling you i always felt like my spare ball shifted during my backswing and couldnt figure out what it was. So Ill update later after i get the spare ball out there again.

Future PBA Baller

Post something feels a bit off

Quote Originally Posted by Evilash71 View Post
    Let me say that i experienced the following which has actually helped me. My spare ball apparently had the fingertip grips drilled a slightly bigger drill bit size than the 31/32 suggested by VISE. Apparently many shops do this to save them self the time and effort of fitting the grip in snuggly where as that slight bigger drill size allows it to just fall in basically. Well that "falling in," essentially always made my grip on my spare ball feel a bit off or shifty.

So i had switched to using my strike balls for about three weeks. Got fairly good at it. In fact bowled a 248 today just using my strike ball.

But the point was this. This morning i decided to rip out the old grips and took it down to the pro shop of a guy i really trust who hadn't done that particular ball. He measured and sure enough figured out what i had said. So he fitted me with some grips a half size smaller in finger size from a 5 and 4(in VISE sizes) to a 4 and 3. This was to mimic the feel of the strike ball he had drilled for me correctly.

So i have the grips glued in and drying now and am looking forward to taking the ol spare ball out for those pesky 10 pins again.

So if something feels a bit off it could just be something slight. Who knows.Just something to keep in mind. Im telling you i always felt like my spare ball shifted during my backswing and couldnt figure out what it was. So Ill update later after i get the spare ball out there again.
    My spare ball feels shifty but its my fault that I asked the proshop to not put rubber tips in my finger holes and just drillthe tips out because I never had a Ball like that and thought it was cool.
    Well now it seems the holes are to big thumb aswell and I will have to get my proshop to put tips in.
    I need to get my spare ball up to snuff if im ever gonna get in a scratch league some day
    Arsenal = Hammer JIGSAW{16lbs} Columbia ICON 300 {16lbs}
    Radical Inferno {15lbs}Black Rahno{16lbs}(WWF Raw is War Viz A Ball {14lbs}
    High Game/Series 263/637
    Try (VT) for winning $$fun http://www.virtualtournaments.com/Default.aspx Say 10sixer sent ya Plz..
    What I always say "LUCK IS EARNED"

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast