Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use for a spare ball?

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Default What do you use for a spare ball?

Picking up those single pin spares are tough at times, so what do you use to pick up your spares? Do you use a ball just for spares? or do you use your main bowling ball?

Maybe you use your main ball for multiple pin spares, and a plastic ball for single pick-ups?

Let us know what you think is best.
    Go Broncos!

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I use a Roto Grip Spare Tire for most spares. I'll use my strike ball if I leave pins in the middle.

Chats: 0

I just use a spare ball (White Dot) for the 10 pin, otherwise I just use my strike ball.
    All pins are POSSESSED, I'm just happy to be able to exorcise the poor dears and put them out of their misery.
    It's the least I can do
    High Game: 265
    High Series: 665
    Avg.: 180

I'm a proud member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Baroncad View Post
    I just use a spare ball (White Dot) for the 10 pin, otherwise I just use my strike ball.
    Most of the time I do this too
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Default Spare time

Quote Originally Posted by Baroncad View Post
    I've been thinking about this in my "spare" time, and I used to only use mine for the 7. Then I started going through a phase where I'd miss the 10 by hooking into the gutter, or misreading how much oil was in the middle and missing on the left of the 10 pin because it didn't hook enough. It took a couple of practice sessions to figure out where to stand and what to target to hit it, but it takes the lane totally out of play. As a plus, the way I see it, it also saves wear and tear on my strike ball. Also, it seemed to be such a waste to drag the ball everywhere with me and only use it for one pin. You can consider it a plus or minus, depending on how accurate you can be, but it goes where you throw it, no guesswork needed. My wife has started using it for most spares, too, and it's helped her a lot.

There's a Rolf Gauger (sp?) article in an old BTM about a spare shooting system with a straight ball that I found very helpful, too, but of course now that I've remembered it I can't find that issue right now. Murphy's law "strikes" again.

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

I use my main ball. I don't feel I need a spare ball at this point.

The only time I use a spare ball is for picking up my 10 pins. I have no other problems with any single or combination of spares. I use either a Hammer Black Widow Clear or my Hammer Razyr for my 10 pins with a sucessw rate of 97% .
    Hammer Team Member /
    Hammer Message Board Moderator
    NOTHING HITS LIKE A HAMMER

PBA Eastern region Senior Touring Player

Chats: 19

I throw a Hammer No Mercy for my strike ball, and anything from the middle to the left of the lane. It has quite a bit of bite. For anything to the right of the head pin, I'll normally use my Ebonite 11 pound, unless I need a little extra weight behind the throw, then I'll just straighten out the hammer a little. The Ebonite is an older ball, I don't know what it's called, all the markings wore off long ago. I know it's a urethane, but aside from that.... It was given to me years ago, and I got used to it. I guess it's time to get a new ball, but I'm so used to this one, why bother??? hahaha.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Mack Daddy
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Currently using Morich Awesome Finish for 10 pins. Thinking about obtaining a 'plastic' ball for the 10... All other single pins I use my regular ball...
    There's always one off center in the rack

Info: AVG 206, Stroker, Righty, Gladiator Pearl, Track The Rising, Hammer Rayzr, Storm Virtual Gravity, Storm Reign, PBA Platinum

Wish List-Hammer Jigsaw

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Thumbs up

my dad trained me to use my main ball to shoot 10 pins, but i was so inconsistant last year, i missed more 10pins last year than i have my whole life. i now throw the XXXL BUZZSAW from lane #1 bowling. modified rico layout, gives me the versatility to shoot 10 pins and, if necessary, when the lanes burn up, throw it as a strike ball. this ball has the same diamond core as the resin models so the "plastic with muscle" will strike.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, LOOK IN THE VIDEO SECTION I WILL POST A VIDEO DEMONSTRATING THIS VERY POINT.
    bowls: right handed, average: 208 and rising, style: tweener
    ball company: Lane #1
    rev rate: 385 rpm

breakin' sucka's jaws with my saws

Lane #1 baby.......on the grind

U.S.B.C. CERTIFIED COACH

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast