By Lucas Wiseman
USBC Communications

VIENNA, Austria - Team USA's Lynda Barnes is widely considered one of the best bowlers in the world - male or female. So when she arrived to compete in the 2008 Columbia 300 Vienna Open, she was a little stunned to find out that even she would get eight pins a game handicap.

Like all female participants in European Bowling Tour events, Barnes receives the customary eight-pin advantage each game, which adds up to 48 pins for each six-game qualifying block.

"I know a lot of the guys don't think I really need the eight pins, but if they are going to give it to me, I'll take it," Barnes said. "When (Australian star Jason) Belmonte is out here shooting 250 games, it's nice to have a few extra pins."

An 11-time Team USA member who earlier this year won $80,000 in the span of two weeks with victories at the USBC Queens and Bowling's Clash of Champions, Barnes is competing in a European Bowling Tour event for the first time in her career.

After arriving in Vienna on Thursday, Barnes competed Friday in two squads attempting to overcome not only the lane conditions at Plus Bowling Center, but also jetlag.

In her first qualifying block, she totaled 1,228 (including her 48 pins handicap). On the second attempt, she improved and finished with 1,288 (with handicap) and currently sits in 39th place with three squads remaining. The top 52 players advance to Sunday's finals.

"I really bowled terrible yesterday," Barnes said. "But I've got a game plan for today and I'm going to go out there and try and improve upon the scores I put up on the first day."

The presenting sponsor of the Vienna Open, Columbia 300, is also the same company that Barnes and her husband, Professional Bowlers Association Player of the Year Chris Barnes, represent.

"One of the main reasons I decided to come to this event was to help support the brands of Columbia 300 and promote them to bowlers in this area," Barnes said. "After I leave Vienna, I'm meeting up with Chris and we are heading to Greece and Cyprus to do a few exhibitions in those countries."

Barnes is one of nearly 300 bowlers from 28 countries competing this week at the 2008 Columbia 300 Vienna Open. For complete coverage of the tournament, including standings and updates after each squad, visit BowlingDigital.com.