Thread: I have a ball. But...

Default I have a ball. But...

I use an 8lb Columbia White Dot. It's generally a straight ball, but I'm curious to know whether I ought to have gotten a different ball. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm a righty, generally a straight bowler. I can't hook although I want to learn how to.

Bowler

Chats: 3

Well, just guessing, because I don't know your stature or anything I would say the 8# ball is far too light for you. I know adolesents weighing 60 or 70 pounds who use heavier balls.

Once the majority of balls get below 14# the core of the ball which equates to the "hook engine", in simplistic terms, is very poor. The core must also be made light in order to keep the ball weight down. It is very doubtful you will be able to hook your 8# ball.

I suggest you visit a pro shop to determine what weight ball is right for you. I would further suggest if you can, purchase that weight ball and have it custom drilled to fit your hand. Once you have the proper equipment I think you will notice a marked difference.
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

PSBA10 is exactly right. 8 pounds is much too light. There's no reason you shouldn't be throwing at least a 12 pound ball. Yes, it will feel heavy at first, but you'll be strengthening the muscles that are used in bowling. With 8 pounds, you're not doing yourself any good in any way. This is most likely the reason you pull your arm across your body. The ball is simply too light and you don't have enough weight to keep your swing in line. You will be more accurate with a heavier ball. A heavier ball will knock down more pins just due to the weight. An 8 pound ball is basically Styrofoam in the middle in order to make it that light. You just can't get any force to drive through the pins.

If you're looking to learn how to throw a hook, having the ball fit for your hand is imperative. I always suggest a fingertip grip to people looking to improve. You'll want to eventually go to that anyway, so why learn with one grip and then have to learn again in a little while? Something like a Storm Tropical Heat or Brunswick Slingshot would be great.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

also to add to this the people above are right,,,, one thing that helped me was to get a lifting 14lbs wight,,, and use it a couple of times a week,,, for ten to fifteen mins each time to build strinth in your arm,,,, other than that follow what they are sayin and have a person watch how you bowl and give advice from them,,, good luck don't give up you will do fine,,,,lol