Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping arm from turning early

Hi guys,

I asked my friend to watch me bowl..he said, my problem is a case of early release and timing. To be specific, I slide and release the ball at the same time. He advised me to slide first and just release the ball to my ankle and it did work. He also told me that I should lower my release a bit to avoid lofting the ball. All I need now is to practice it....that's the hard part..sometimes I forget and go back to my early release problem after 2 games.

Chats: 0

I would like to jump into this thread as I have been an early turner too. I have fought this ever since getting back into bowling after a 20 year layoff.

I have watched the videos even by single framing through the release and my muscle memory just fights me.

I do one step drils and it seems to feels good, but my track drops way down. I know that it goes out as a spinner.

I have currently just set my had to 45deg and release through that. My track goes back up to near the thumb and fingers. I do have a 204 ave in two leagues on synthetics 41' THS, but know I can do much better if I can nail the "elite" release.

I throw finger tips, moderate speed, obvious lower rev. PAP is 6 in. and 1/2 in up. Span is about 6 in. Using an old but good Trauma ER drilled for early roll and Lane1 Red Death drilled stacked with pin just above and right of ring finger. Stand center dot or right and go up 7 to 10. The ball does roll up nice on the back end. But moving left the ball fails to make the turn and just straightens out. I have no issues with my current starting position.

My question is I get confused with "coming up the back of the ball." With the fingers in the strong position (fingers at 7 or 8) is "up the back" the hand going to 12 ( like a backup ball) or is it trying to follow the angle of the fingers and thumb.

In my practice I have gone through games of the backup drill as explained by Slowinski, but where do I go from there to get the right to left rotation. That is why I get my hand at 45 to get that rotation. If I try the strong position to 45 release I wind up going over the side and even topping the ball. Darn that muscle memory :-)

Sorry for the ignorance but I am really trying to emulate the release. Thank you.

Bob
    Last edited by btaylor; 10-04-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I've always taken it to be keeping the fingers firm and not twisting, as opposed to coming around the ball. It's how I describe it, anyway. The turn comes from the angle of the fingers, I suppose, because it does make a nice turn.
    As for swing timing, Ron Clifton said it should be "football" timing. Your foot stops, in your head you say "foot," as the ball passes the ankle you say "ball." It should sound like the normal word and not too slow or real fast. I'm not sure if he has that posted on his site or not.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    I've always taken it to be keeping the fingers firm and not twisting, as opposed to coming around the ball. It's how I describe it, anyway. The turn comes from the angle of the fingers, I suppose, because it does make a nice turn.
    As for swing timing, Ron Clifton said it should be "football" timing. Your foot stops, in your head you say "foot," as the ball passes the ankle you say "ball." It should sound like the normal word and not too slow or real fast. I'm not sure if he has that posted on his site or not.
    wow.. will keep this in mind when I bowl for muscle memory..

Smile

Another tip I got today...my friend told me to always keep my head up during the release..it helps keep your balance and prevents your hands from going around the ball...it worked.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Not just your head up, but also your shoulders back. Good posture is very important to good ball roll. You want your shoulders and knee to be on the same vertical plane. Good luck!
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach

Quote Originally Posted by DanielMareina View Post
    Not just your head up, but also your shoulders back. Good posture is very important to good ball roll. You want your shoulders and knee to be on the same vertical plane. Good luck!
    That is absolutely correct! I've found that I have forward shoulder posture, where instead of my shoulders being back and down, they are rounded forward. I am working on fixing my posture, which consists of strengthening the upper back muscles and stretching the chest muscles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12