Thread: release issue?

Default release issue?

I've looked all over the net for an answer to this question, and can't even come CLOSE.

I've bowled for 35 years on and off, both in leagues and not. I started young as a straight baller, continued in college as a no thumb-er, and later on as a conventional fingertip grip, and NEVER got a blister, even on all-you-can-bowl nights.

Then I got my new ball, and all of a sudden, I'm gettiing a blister on the spot where a callus would be just below my index finger, about a half inch towards the palm. This happens every time I go to the lanes after about 20 frames max.

Is it that my new coverstock has more grip on my hand as well as the lane?

Do i have some release flaw?

Did the recommended shorter span in the drill cause a change in balance for the ball?

I'm stumped. And blisters stink.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

For a reference Take a look at the fitting charts on the jayhawk site for more info on fitting problems.
    Click here Fitting_Tips

Heres the index finger chart from jayhawk

Finger used to support wrist
    OK unless painful

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

ok, thanks. Still the issue being addressed says "finger used to support wrist, ok unless painful". It is painful, and I've never had the issue before, and there is no suggested course of action readily apparent to me. I mean its the same wrist strength I've always had... same swing motion.... weird. Ideas to fix it, since there is no drill issue addressed ?

Bowler
    Chats: 2

when you had the last ball drilled, did the driller copy the specs from your old ball or were adustments made to the span/pitch? did you make any changes to the style of finger inserts? that could help explain it. other than that, my guess would be that you might be holding the ball a little differently that before, whether you are holding the ball with more angle and having more pressure on the point that is hurting.

Bowler

sorry, just noticed that you went with a shorter span then previous. i think that answers your question. if you want to keep that span, you may need to adjust your starting hand position and how your hand moves from your armswing to release. i haven't tried on that part, but you could try placing some tape over the affected area to try to reduce rubbing of that part in the future.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

I think this is a good thing. If you're holding the ball in a good position, you should have a callous in that spot. It shows that the weight of the ball is being supported by that part of your hand which will put you in a position to create revolutions at release. It will only be uncomfortable until you build a callous and then it will be all good.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Bowler

I agree; however, azeo has developed a blister where the callous normally is. In that case, an adjustment of some sort would need to be made whether it is in the drilling or hand technique. My suggestion is to revisit the reason for shortening your span if that is in your best interest. If not, then you will need to figure out how else to handle the situation. If the it's not re-drilling or adjusting the ball, then the problem is that everything else will be trial and error which could take some time before figuring out a good solution.