Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping arm from turning early

Default Keeping arm from turning early

I have a problem of staying behind the ball. my elbow turns out on the downswing when it gets to the hip. How can I keep my elbow in all the way to the follow-through. When I try, I feel some tension on the inside of my elbow. Is that normal?

Chats: 2

I'm not entirely sure, but you probably just feel the tension because it's different than what you are used to.
    Bowling since December 2010.

Currently Throwing : Storm Marvel 14# and Ebonite Tornado 14#

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

That's what it is, every change feels strange. How poetic! Try practicing with holding a towel in your armpit. You can even do that at home without the ball. The other little trick I've learned is to try and lead the swing with your ring finger. If you're doing that it's impossible to "wing" it.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

You shouldn't feel tension in your elbow. Your arm should be straight until after you let go of the ball. If your elbow is bent enough that you will naturally swing it out, or chicken wing it as we say, then that is your problem. I suggest starting the ball farther to the outside of your body before you begin your swing, and really focus on keeping your arm straight in the backswing and forward swing.
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach

Something tells me that you generate ball rotation by coming around the side of the ball.

I would consider that you overhaul the way you generate rev's to address this, assuming I am correct in my assumption.

Coming up the back of the ball is ideal, but keeping it from going straight is going to be the key. The proper way to generate rotation is to keep your hand in a strong position while you are coming up the back of the ball.

A stronger position is achieved by keeping the fingers inside (closer to your leg). If you picture the ball and pause it where it is next to your leg in the downswing, just before your follow through, you want clock positions to be referenced:

Fingers at 7-8 o'clock and thumb at 1-2 o'clock. Just come straight up the back and watch it spin.

Something to also be aware of in the modern release is the unloading of the wrist at the last second or two. You don't necessarily want to cup the wrist too extremely, but be firm with it. Unloading the wrist is basically letting it break back so the thumb can exit the ball before the fingers in a clean fashion. If you keep it firm or slightly cupped all the way through, then your fingers and thumb will want to exit the ball all at the same time.

Keep a nice relaxed arm swing and grip and go to town.

Here's a slow motion video of a release by Barnes, and you can see the strong hand position and unloading at the bottom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjIPW4gRsmQ

The great thing about this technique is that it's an adjustable tool in your toolbox. If you want less rev's, then you move your fingers more towards the 6 o'clock position and the thumb at 12. You can have varying degrees of position between those two to add or subtract rotation.
    Last edited by se7en; 04-07-2011 at 12:01 PM.

I'm experiencing this problem also..is there any way to train my thumb to exit first? My hand always goes on top of the ball during the release making me throw the ball to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by atty_hen05 View Post
    I'm experiencing this problem also..is there any way to train my thumb to exit first? My hand always goes on top of the ball during the release making me throw the ball to the left.
    I bought one of these...See below:

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/...ht-Handed.html

This one is for right hand...
    If you are left handed, get the one for left hand. Also get the size you need..Small-med-large??

Wearing this device makes you aware of your hand position, and where you are pointing the ball.

If you keep your hand under the ball while wearing this device, you will find that this device will help you increase revs without having to turn your wrist!!

By keeping your hand under the ball, and coming up the back of the ball, you will get more axis rotation ( side roll ) and more revs than without this device!! And it works better than coming around the side of the ball because it gives you the same results only better, as it makes you more consistent with your release and your ability to hit your target more consistently!!

It may feel strange at first, but stick with it, and it will help you do what you are wanting to do!!!

This device can help you break the bad habit of coming over the top of the ball!!!

With this device, you don't need to come around the ball to get side rotation/axis tilt/or revs!!!!

I was averaging about 210 without it. I then bought one as it was recommended by a friend who claimed his average went up 20 pins by using it, and I am all for improvment...So I bought one!!!

The first time out using this device I bowled a 277 game!!!!.

Before I bought this device I bowled 4 games previously not getting over 220.

I now use it all the time, and average over 250 more often than without it!!!! Once your wear it enough to see how it actually works by keeping your small finger tucked close to your ring finger, and by keeping you aware of your hand position, and by helping you keep your hand under the ball but at the same time increasing your revs and rotation, then you will achieve your goal and will like using it.

The above is true if it works for you as it has for me!!! Not all people will like wearing these devices, but it has helped me tremendously!!!

This device can train you to keep your hand in the right position. It don't mean you have to wear it forever, as it can be used as a learning tool so that you can learn, then later you can get to the point that you won't need it because you will know what to do with your hand, and what not to do.

As for me, I still use it everyday I Bowl to make sure my release is consistent!!! And because of the extra revs and axis tilt it gives me!!!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Trex; 09-20-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    I bought one of these...See below:

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/...ht-Handed.html

This one is for right hand...
    If you are left handed, get the one for left hand. Also get the size you need..Small-med-large??

Wearing this device makes you aware of your hand position, and where you are pointing the ball.

If you keep your hand under the ball while wearing this device, you will find that this device will help you increase revs without having to turn your wrist!!

By keeping your hand under the ball, and coming up the back of the ball, you will get more axis rotation ( side roll ) and more revs than without this device!! And it works better than coming around the side of the ball because it gives you the same results only better, as it makes you more consistent with your release and your ability to hit your target more consistently!!

It may feel strange at first, but stick with it, and it will help you do what you are wanting to do!!!

This device can help you break the bad habit of coming over the top of the ball!!!

With this device, you don't need to come around the ball to get side rotation/axis tilt/or revs!!!!

I was averaging about 210 without it. I then bought one as it was recommended by a friend who claimed his average went up 20 pins by using it, and I am all for improvment...So I bought one!!!

The first time out using this device I bowled a 277 game!!!!.

Before I bought this device I bowled 4 games previously not getting over 220.

I now use it all the time, and average over 250 more often than without it!!!! Once your wear it enough to see how it actually works by keeping your small finger tucked close to your ring finger, and by keeping you aware of your hand position, and by helping you keep your hand under the ball but at the same time increasing your revs and rotation, then you will achieve your goal and will like using it.

The above is true if it works for you as it has for me!!! Not all people will like wearing these devices, but it has helped me tremendously!!!

This device can train you to keep your hand in the right position. It don't mean you have to wear it forever, as it can be used as a learning tool so that you can learn, then later you can get to the point that you won't need it because you will know what to do with your hand, and what not to do.

As for me, I still use it everyday I Bowl to make sure my release is consistent!!! And because of the extra revs and axis tilt it gives me!!!

Good luck!
    Thanks Trex for the advise. One question though, does it have the same function as a wrister? or is it totally different? I already have a Storm Gizmo.

Bowler
    Chats: 2

Both of those wristers are basically the same.

For your elbow problem, you should have someone watch you bowl to see if there is something in your armswing that needs to be adjusted. You actually want your elbow to be closer to your body most of the way and not outward, so it will take a little practice to get it right. It could be the position of your hand in the ball that might be turned left/right which is causing this.

Quote Originally Posted by atty_hen05 View Post
    Thanks Trex for the advise. One question though, does it have the same function as a wrister? or is it totally different? I already have a Storm Gizmo.
    vgw is correct....Yes they are about the same, only yours has the ability to fine tune, and adjust position, where as mine is fixed Position, with no adjustment capabilities.

Knowing that you have this device and are using it, I can only guess that there is something else causing your arm, and or wrist, to turn over the top of the ball.

If you keep the top of your wrist facing the floor as you hold the ball in your hand, and keep this wrist position as you are in the push away, and then through out the entire arm swing going back, and then forward, keeping the arm and hand position the same until you have released the ball......."what is causing your hand to come over the top of the ball" ??

If you can figure this out then we can find a solution.

If your ball is fitted to your hand, and your fingers and thumb are in the ball, and you keep your wrist and arm in position as described above, then there must be something causing your hand to move from being under the ball to being on top of the ball.

If nothing is getting in the way of your arm/elbow as you keep your elbow tucked close to your side...then I can only assume that it is a possibility that the ball might be too heavy....especially If you cannot control the ball position in your hand, by keeping your hand under the ball and coming straight up the back of the ball at the release point.

What weight is your bowling ball??

What is the span..."distance from cut to cut" from finger holes to thumb on your ball??

What is your span measurements when measured by a Pro shop tech??

Is the ball drilled finger tip grip, or conventional like a house ball??

Have you tried a lighter ball to see if you can control it better??

If the fitting of your ball is not correct, and the span is too short,...This can cause you to over turn the ball, causing your hand to come over the top of the ball.

Most of the time I see this issue when the ball does not fit the bowlers hand, or the ball is too heavy, or the bowler is not using the thumb hole, and last but not least some people have wide hips that keep them from having a tucked by your side elbow type arm swing because the elbow hits there hips causing a problem with having a clean flowing back and forward arm swing.

It would be nice if we could see a video clip of you bowling, so that we could see what is going on that causes your hand to come over the top of the ball.

I worked with a guy once who could not have a 3-4-5 step approach due to a car wreck that left his left leg injured to the point he could not slide, or even take any steps other than hobbling along as he walked.....But what he done was walked up to the foul line and then stood there then turned a bit sideways to get his body positioned so that he could swing the ball and hit his target with a free flowing arm swing and his hand under the ball coming straight up the back of the ball, and he done just fine.

He did have to go down to a 14lb bowling ball, but he made it work and still averaged between 190 to 200. So I am sure if he can bowl like this with the adjustments he had to make...then I am sure we can find a solution to help you also.

We just gotta figure out what the problem actually is.
    Last edited by Trex; 09-21-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: addition
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast