Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank God For Rico

Default Thank God For Rico

My Rico drilled Columbia Chaos sanded to 180 grit dull, is the only ball that allows me to get the ball to hook on the pattern I bowl on as of late.

No other ball I have with the same surface prep will hook like this ball does!!

In the future, every ball I buy will be drilled Rico!!

Why? I already have enough balls with every other layout ever created!!

The Rico layout combined with this 180 grit surface is the only thing working for me!!

Thanks Ric Hamlin!! ...You are the man!!

I had to modify this layout because I am a high track player, and I even changed the position of the X-hole....But the results are awesome!!
    Last edited by Trex; 11-03-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Bingo
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Step into my office

Chats: 42

When you say you modified it, what do you mean? I'm assuming you moved the pin closer to your PAP away from the center of your grip. How did you change the X-Hole? Pictures would help
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    When you say you modified it, what do you mean? I'm assuming you moved the pin closer to your PAP away from the center of your grip. How did you change the X-Hole? Pictures would help
    Pin up one inch from center & 1/4 right, with X- hole three & half inches from pin instead of six & 3/4.

With the above mods I eliminated problems with tracking over holes, and made the ball more predictable as the motion is a bit smoother but still strong.

I simply love it!

The Rico drilled exactly as per Ric's directions on my track up rising, this ball had the same reaction only it would roll over the finger holes at times, & the break point shape was a bit sharper & harder to control for me than the modified version on my Chaos.

It could have been rolling over the X-hole....All I know is that it was rolling over one of the holes making that thump thump thump sound as the ball went down the lane, where as with the modified version I don't have that problem, and I do get the great results that the original is known for!!

Hope this helps....I'll try to get around to posting a picture.
    Last edited by Trex; 11-05-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Bingo

Chats: 64

Does it matter where your axis is or rate of rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Does it matter where your axis is or rate of rotation?
    The Original Rico layout explains in detail exactly how to layout the ball, and your PAP ( Positive Axis Point ) is not part of the equation!! ...Unless you are a high track player! "Other than the Angle" from Pin & CG To PAP is 45 degrees! With the Pin being placed in the center of Grip!

This is the only layout I have ever seen where you follow detailed directions that do not include considering this other than it does say that for a high track player you will have to move the Pin up and maybe over due to possible problems with rolling over the finger holes.

So I tried it on one ball exactly as per Rics instruction for the average bowler, even though I knew that I am a high track player....Meaning my ball tracks close to the finger and thumb holes....I wanted to try it anyway just to see for myself.

And that is why I had to Modify the layout on the 2nd ball, because on the first ball it did roll over the drilled holes.

The second ball with the Modified version did not roll over any of the holes for me, but still gave me the strong hook I was looking for, where other balls with other layouts with the same surface did not.

As far as your Rotation....Ric explains that this layout is good for those who are speed dominate with a lower rev rate, and at the same time that it can work for high rev players also.....So all you can do is try it, and see how it works for you.

A friend of mine does not like it....But he lofts his ball out to the "Arrows" because he normally has trouble with everything hooking too much!! ...For him he said the layout was weak!! But for me it is very strong as my rev rate is lower than his. I would have thought it would be even stronger for my friend, but his axis is no doubt different than mine, his ball speed is different than mine, and his rev rate is different than mine.

As for me, this layout works better than anything else when the lane condition makes every other ball I have go too long!! ...So for me...I love it!!!

Here a link that talks about it:

http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.p...=181&Itemid=47

The only thing I see with this layout in it's original form is that the "Pin & CG To PAP" Angle is 45 degrees, and the X-Hole is 6 & 3/4 inches from the Pin.

I kept the 45 degree Angle, But moved the Pin up one inch, and over 1/4, and moved the X-Hole closer to the Pin by a little over three inches.....And this was what worked for me & my Axis tilt, Axis Rotation, Rev rate, Ball speed...etc.
    Last edited by Trex; 11-06-2011 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Bingo

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    The Original Rico layout explains in detail exactly how to layout the ball, and your PAP ( Positive Axis Point ) is not part of the equation!! ...Unless you are a high track player!

This is the only layout I have ever seen where you follow detailed directions that do not include considering this other than it does say that for a high track player you will have to move the Pin up and maybe over due to possible problems with rolling over the finger holes.

Here a link that talks about it:

http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.p...=181&Itemid=47
    According to the info on the Rico in the link and on others. The PAP is needed for the placement of the CG on a symmetrical core ball and the MB on asymmetrical core balls and not just for high track players.
    The CG is placed at an angle 45 degrees from the PAP, through the grip center
    Now it does say that for a RH bowler this is about the 4:30 position, which I would say is where you'd place it if you didn't know the bowlers PAP. But using the PAP would give you a more precise placement of the CG so that it's at the proper angle (45 Degrees) to the bowlers PAP.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-06-2011 at 06:07 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    According to the info on the Rico. The PAP is needed for the placement of the CG on a symmetrical core ball and the MB on asymmetrical core balls and not just for high track players.
    You posted before I was done editing my post....lol

So yeah you are right....But I added that info while I was editing. ...Sorry I am a bit slow with typing....lol

Some of us old folks are not good with this computer stuff...So we have to go back and make spelling corrections & typo corrections & info left out corrections....lol

and my spell check don't work right either for some dumb reason...grrrrr

Maybe in the future, I should type it out and make corrections on a text document first then just copy and paste the final results.

Haha...now that I think of it, I bet some of my other post looked very incomplete to anyone reading it for the first time while I was in edit mode! LOL

The reason I was doing it this way, is that if I finish the entire post all at once, it takes me so long that the site knocks me off line before I am done, and I then must sign back in...But by then I have lost every thing that I typed!!

Sorry...I'm just old and slow....lol

So...I will end right here...if you are reading this line then you know I am done.

Actually..."it's this line"...yeah I am done now...I think...lol
    Last edited by Trex; 11-06-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Bingo

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post

The reason I was doing it this way, is that if I finish the entire post all at once, it takes me so long that the site knocks me off line before I am done, and I then must sign back in...But by then I have lost every thing that I typed!!
    It does the same thing to me if I write more than two sentences.
    John

Step into my office

Chats: 42

I love this layout. It's one of my favorites. For me, it makes the ball long with a super strong and controllable backend reaction. RICO works for me on all different types of coverstocks too. Solid, pearl, hybrid, particle... doesn't matter. Makes for a great benchmark ball on a solid. It's not for everyone though. As Trex testified, if you're a high track player, you most likely will roll over the fingers or thumb.

One of the most important elements of the RICO is that the weight hole must be drilled deep enough to hit the weight block. In essence, this makes a symmetrical cored ball an asymmetric. I personally don't care for most asymmetric cored bowling balls, so this gives me the perfect combo of sym and asym reactions.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

I wish I had it on my Loaded Revolver.

I might just have to buy me another one & try it.....>Insert Evil Grin<...

Or buy two and keep one polished....>Insert Evil Grin again<....LOL

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast