Thread: Unable to start high school bowling

Chats: 0

Default Unable to start high school bowling

This was a bane of my high school years. Even with bowling and high school bowlings rapid growth and our 100 member youth bowling program. Our youth league officers and other bowlers along with the adult officers and parents were unable to get a High School Bowling team or league started in our area. Has anybody had a similar experience or does anyone have any ideas on ways to try and do this? It is too late for me to take part in High School Bowling, but youth bowling is still very popular here.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

Well, you could run a high school league at a local bowling center. But obviously if you wanted bowling as a varsity sport, that would be up to the school/district/conference to start that up. Since you're 21, it's almost the cut off for where you have to move to adult leagues, correct?
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

21 is the cut off to move to adult leagues. If you turn 21 prior to August of the starting youth season you are ineligible for youth leauge participation I believe. I moved to adult league's when I turned 18 and we do have an intramural club type bowling program for our middle school and high school, but we have been trying to get it passed as a varsity sport. It is very discouraging when years of effort are put into it and no ground is gained, but a Varsity Lacrosse team is started in literally a matter of months.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

Unfortunately, bowling isn't a revenue sport. Absolutely no money is brought in from bowling. At least down here in Florida. Lacrosse at least people might buy tickets to a game. It's sad, but it's the truth.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

I really don't think that either one would be a revenue sport for my high school I was don't have our own lacrosse field or anything else you would need to host your own lacrosse games. Everyone of our lacrosse games are away where as at least when it came to bowling we could have had home matches at our local house.

It's much like out track and field team. It's practice space was taken to be turned into a parking lot and we never even had an actual track. Every single meet we had we had to travel to the other team. It was so bad that most of the equipment we had from field events was hand me down equipment from the teams we played against and we had no funding to buy our own.