Thread: Heel sticking on approach

Chats: 7

Default Heel sticking on approach

Went bowling this afternoon and was having a problem with the heel of my slide foot sticking. There was nothing on the sole of my shoe (Dexter Ricky II wide width) or visible on the approach. It got a little better as I progressed through the 3 games, but I was never really comfortable.

The alley was a little warm and humid today. Could that have been a contributing factor?

What kind of accessories could I put in my back to help combat the sticking problem?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Humidity can affect your slide alright, there is also another possiblity. You maybe having slight weight shift in your approach. If your body is leaning back just a little you'll be placing more weight on the back of your foot, which wiil cause you to "put the brakes on too much".
    If I have to, I change heels on my sst's to adjust the feel some.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowler
    Chats: 2

I use Easy Slide, not sure if they still sell that since my equipment is still old. You can also try cleaning your shoe with a scrub brush, but that usually messes it up for me.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

In my opinion, you should never use a wire brush on your heel unless you want to make it more tacky. You can use Easy Slide to make it slide more, but it's inconsistent. There is stuff called silicone lubricant spray that you can get at any hardware store that you can spray a small amount on the bottom and it will slide like a dream. Also works great to smooth out a thumb hole right after you drill it.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

"Silicone Spray"! If you try that one -1.do it at home, dont do it at the lanes. 2. Dont spray on the shoe, spray it on a rag and then apply it. ( see USBC Rule 12 and dont get caught)
    And yes dont use the wire brush on the heel!

Now if you want the old school fixes theres-
    A "slide stick" this is a wax like crayon you used to get in the pro shop. You applied to the shoe to help your slide.
    Or
    Theres the pencil trick, get a carpenters pencil (the big flat pencil for marking wood). Take it and rub the lead(graphite) on the leading edge of your heel. It will improve slide too.

Now if they still smoked in the alley, you could rub cigarette ashes on the heel or sole. It works too.

Now if my heel gets real dirty, I have cleaned it with alcohol and rag. After that I would rub in some easy slide. Then wipe off with dry rag.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-11-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Step into my office

Chats: 42

Yes, definitely don't do it at the lanes! Forgot to add that part.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I had a problem with the first set of cheap Dexters I bought that caused a full stop. The slide shoe broke. It was like there was a hinge at the heel and the edge would just dig in. Haven't had any problems with the pricier ones. I change the heel or sole for what I need.