Thread: Some questions from a relatively new bowler

Default Some questions from a relatively new bowler

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to bowling boards, having only a couple of posts- feel free to read my introduction in the appropriate thread. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. When I bowl, I use a strike ball (a Brunswick Avalanche Pearl), and a spare ball (an Ebonite Maxim). suppose that, when I bowl, I knock down the 6,9, and 10 pins. Would I then use my strike ball, since the headpin is still standing, or would I use my spare ball, since it is a spare? Would having the 6, 9, and 10 pins knocked down (with the others still standing) require a move, or would I bowl in the same spot as I would for a strike?

2. What are the various finger positions, and their effects on the ball? I have read that, for less hook, the fingers should be spread, and for more hook the fingers should be tight together? Is this true? Also, I have heard that finger positions have different effects for each bowler? Is this correct?

3. Last week, I was having trouble with my ball over-reacting. I then decided that I would loft my ball very slightly. The results of this were very good, and my pinfall increased. Is the increased pinfall because the lofting puts more force on the ball? Should I continue lofting?

4. My bowling balls are different weights. My strike ball is 10 LBS and my spare ball is 8 LBS. I have been told that I am able to convert some difficult spares due to my light spare ball. What is everybody's opinion on different ball weights?

5. While bowling, do any of you monitor your scores? I seem to perform better when I do not do so.

6. For spares, I am having issues with making my ball go straight. What methods could I use to make the ball's path as straight as possible?

7. Also for spares, I am having trouble deciding which arrows to target for which pins. Knowing that I prefer to convert spares with a straight ball, what is the best method to use?

8. Again for spares, should I convert them cross-alley, or straight? I know that cross-alley is best for the 7 and 10 pins, but is this true for the other pins?

9. Finally, how much time should I allow for adjusting to my new ball (Brunswick Avalanche Pearl), in conjunction with my previous ball that I now use for spares, an Ebonite Maxim? What should I do if, after this time, I still haven't adjusted?

Thank you, and I appreciate your feedback!

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bowling Wonder View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to bowling boards, having only a couple of posts- feel free to read my introduction in the appropriate thread. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. When I bowl, I use a strike ball (a Brunswick Avalanche Pearl), and a spare ball (an Ebonite Maxim). suppose that, when I bowl, I knock down the 6,9, and 10 pins. Would I then use my strike ball, since the headpin is still standing, or would I use my spare ball, since it is a spare? Would having the 6, 9, and 10 pins knocked down (with the others still standing) require a move, or would I bowl in the same spot as I would for a strike?
    You might get a couple of different opinions on this.
    Myself, I use the same ball, but change my hand release position to a flat one with the hand still directly under the ball -IF I want to throw a straighter ball like at a few pins only. However, if the set is still mostly intact, I will use the same delivery as I would a strike.

2. What are the various finger positions, and their effects on the ball? I have read that, for less hook, the fingers should be spread, and for more hook the fingers should be tight together? Is this true? Also, I have heard that finger positions have different effects for each bowler? Is this correct?
    Keeping the fingers tucked together will slightly decrease the amount of hook. If I want full hook, I will spread my index finger only outward.

3. Last week, I was having trouble with my ball over-reacting. I then decided that I would loft my ball very slightly. The results of this were very good, and my pinfall increased. Is the increased pinfall because the lofting puts more force on the ball? Should I continue lofting?
    What lofting does is get the ball further down the lane before it starts to hook. It is like shortening the deck surface. It is a good practice to try to get the ball out about a yard on your strike delivery as well. This saves you more energy when the ball arrives at the pins.

4. My bowling balls are different weights. My strike ball is 10 LBS and my spare ball is 8 LBS. I have been told that I am able to convert some difficult spares due to my light spare ball. What is everybody's opinion on different ball weights?
    Try to get your ball weights up as you get better and stronger. 15lbs-16lbs. is an accepted standard for best strike effect.

5. While bowling, do any of you monitor your scores? I seem to perform better when I do not do so.
    This is an individual preference thing. Personally, I ALWAYS go for the best possible result.

6. For spares, I am having issues with making my ball go straight. What methods could I use to make the ball's path as straight as possible?
    Throw it faster. Or learn to keep that hand perfectly beneath the ball at point of delivery and through the follow through - don't roll the hand!

7. Also for spares, I am having trouble deciding which arrows to target for which pins. Knowing that I prefer to convert spares with a straight ball, what is the best method to use?
    This is something you have to figure out for yourself. Start becoming more aware of which board you hit when you go for your spares, you should know exactly what board you hit each time - this will help your accuracy.

8. Again for spares, should I convert them cross-alley, or straight? I know that cross-alley is best for the 7 and 10 pins, but is this true for the other pins?
    For a right hander, all pins except 6,9 and 10 should be shot from your usual position. Those three I mentioned, I move to the left hand side of the lane and shoot across.

9. Finally, how much time should I allow for adjusting to my new ball (Brunswick Avalanche Pearl), in conjunction with my previous ball that I now use for spares, an Ebonite Maxim? What should I do if, after this time, I still haven't adjusted?

I assumed you are using a fingertip grip for all my previous replies.
    If you are using the same grip for both balls, it won't take more than 10 games or so to get used to it.
    ad.

Bowler
    Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bowling Wonder View Post
    Hi everyone,

Hmm these are very good questions, but the answers will be opinionated. Though someone replied in depth above me, I'll give you my thoughts on how I do the things you asked.

1. If only the 6, 9, and 10 pins are down, I will throw it a little right of where I normally throw for a strike. I do this by moving right about 5 boards. This will take trial and error, as it's different for everyone (though somewhat in the same area)

2. From what I've been taught, and also from personal experience, spreading the index finger out and keeping the pinky finger close in next to your ring finger creates the most hook. Doing the opposite, the index finger close and the pinky finger extended out, this creates minimal hook.

3. Lofting the ball is a technique many pros use. The reason it worked well for you at that time was because the lanes were broken down and/or dry. Therefore, when you loft the ball, it cancels out the front part of the lanes giving your ball more time to "go straight" before it turns towards the pocket. You should only do this when lane conditions are similar to what you experienced that time. Other then that, bowling normally will be fine.

4. I was introduced to this recently as well reading through the forums before, but a member on the forums concluded that it's best to stay with the same weight throughout all of your balls. It helps keep everything consistent. I believe it was The Mayor who said this Forgive me if I'm wrong.

5. I'm sure many people do to some degree, but I notice I do better if I'm not looking at the scoreboard as well. Focusing on each and every shot without worrying about what your scoring or what the opponent is scoring is very beneficial to me. At the end, if I find that I lost, at least I know I did my best .

6. I do not have a spare ball and convert all my spares with my strike ball. What I do to throw as straight as possible is to bring my index finger as close as possible to my middle finger, and extending your pinky out (don't over exaggerate this though). Also, an interesting tip I received was to put your index finger into the ball normally, but just barely insert your middle finger. This has really helped in throwing the ball straight every time.

7. Depending on which spares you're talking about, arrows are different. For 10 pin spares, I think many people including myself find it easiest when standing far left, and aiming in between the middle arrow and the one left of it. For 7 pin spares, stand far right and aim between the middle arrow and the one to the right of it.

8. I was told it's always a good idea to shoot spares with a straight ball. It takes the lane condition out of play, and in turn keeps your spare shooting consistent regardless of lane condition.

9. This one is pretty situational. The time it will take for you to adapt to a ball will always be different. Sometimes a ball may not be right for a certain person, therefore causing them to not be able to adjust accordingly. It could possibly be the drilling, coverstock, core, etc etc. I have no advice for you on this matter except practice, practice, practice. If all else fails, I'm sure someone on the boards could give you a better advice!

Hope this answers all of your questions, and I didn't leave anything out. If I did, feel free to ask and I'll help to the best of my ability

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I tried the pinky finger wide and index finger next to the middle finger thing for my spares and it worked great. I've been having trouble with spares and doing this gave me the best spare shooting set in recent memory. Seemed to keep my swing straighter, too. I just wanted to say thank you. So, THANK YOU.
    Last edited by kev3inp; 11-12-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: oops. :)

Bowler
    Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    I tried the pinky finger wide and index finger next to the ring finger thing for my spares and it worked great. I've been having trouble with spares and doing this gave me the best spare shooting set in recent memory. Seemed to keep my swing straighter, too. I just wanted to say thank you. So, THANK YOU.
    I'm glad I could help in any way possible! Have the tried the middle finger just barely in the ball, with the ring finger insterted normally?

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Quote Originally Posted by StormGirl View Post
    I'm glad I could help in any way possible! Have the tried the middle finger just barely in the ball, with the ring finger insterted normally?
    Not so far, but I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This is extremely valuable information!