Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Long is TOO Long to Use A Ball

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Resurfacing is very important. It will restore the ball to very close to new when you do it properly. The big problem is oil absorbtion. The coverstocks will soak up oil, and there isn't a great (non risky, yet effective) way to get the oil back out. The more aggresive the coverstock, the more pourous the coverstock, the more oil absorbtion. Some use heat, some use hot water, some use chemicals. None of which don't have risks to the ball's coverstock, and some don't work very well. If you wipe the oil off your ball constantly, resurface your ball regularly (every 50-75 games), and store them properly, you can keep a ball top notch for a decent amount of time. You can probably triple the time you get the ball at top notch.
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach

Thanks. I have used heat, warm water and cleaner. I have microfiber towels also but just haven't formed the habit of wiping my bowling balls clean between throws or cleaning them between sessions. Now that I understand the importance, I will keep them clean. I have all pro-performance balls and being a little more expensive I would like them to last as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bjeffe1234 View Post
    Ok, so what is the effect of resurfacing on the life of the ball? Does it restore the coverstock to near where it was when it was first purchased?
    I can answer this one. Resurfacing your ball, depending on the method, can restore some life to your ball. I've had mine resurfaced twice to bring back it's reactivity.

Going back to my original issue...I'm rolling a hammer No Mercy right now and I've put atleast 100+ games on it since it's last resurface. I'm noticing there isn't much of a back end left even if I clean the living hell out of it and pull any oil out of it. I don't know how many games were rolled on it prior to me getting it, but I'm getting sort of depressed since I love this ball and don't want to get rid of it.
    Follow Me: http://www.bowlsk.com/view-profile.html?user=2652222
    Current Arsenal:
    Brunswick Rattler (14lb) & Brunswick Viz-A-Ball (Brunswick Logo) (14lb) & Hammer No Mercy (15lb) (Soon to be Storm)

the only thing resurfacing does it return the ball to its round condition if it has nicks or scrapes. most pro shops have a tank they can dip your ball in that has an oil dry in it if you feel like your reaction isnt what is use to be this will restore you ball to about 85% of where it was brand new.

I bought my Brunswick Crown Jewel in 1972 or 73 I think and I can roll it just as crooked now as I ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by Paralipsis View Post
    I can answer this one. Resurfacing your ball, depending on the method, can restore some life to your ball. I've had mine resurfaced twice to bring back it's reactivity.

Going back to my original issue...I'm rolling a hammer No Mercy right now and I've put atleast 100+ games on it since it's last resurface. I'm noticing there isn't much of a back end left even if I clean the living hell out of it and pull any oil out of it. I don't know how many games were rolled on it prior to me getting it, but I'm getting sort of depressed since I love this ball and don't want to get rid of it.
    I know the feeling with an older style Taboo at the moment (posted about it in the reviews section). I love the feel and reaction (when it does react properly) of the ball but it's not even close to being as strong as it was, but then again it's had heavy use. I'm going to give the revivor oven at the local pro shop a go with it and see what happens. I have a much older Morich Mania that came back strong after a few hours in the oven. Let's hope it works on the Taboo too.

well maintenance says it all really

Chats: 221

Resurfacing restores the peaks and valleys of the coverstockThe coverstock is just like the tires on your car. They wear as you drive as does the coverstock on your bal. The peaks and valleys wear and get smaller ana result your ball looses reaction. Resurfacing restores the peaks and valleys and reaction
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12