Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chipped balls

Exclamation Chipped balls

Last Sunday(not yesterday) I went bowling for the first time in a long time and realized how much I missed it. But, The alley I was at, had left something in the back of the lane that I couldn't see. When my first ball came out of the ball return with two chips, I thought I had done something wrong. When my second ball came back with the same marks, I stupidly didn't notice it, until I got home.

I went to a different house yesterday and used my new ball. The only thing that needed to be done(which I did last night) was giving the ball a good cleaning. So I spent an hour getting all the oil off the ball, until it was pristine again.

In terms of my two chipped balls, while I can look up ideas on the Net(apart from this website), how would you guys/gals fix a chipped ball?

I am not asking this from the position of being a newbie to bowling.(I have been bowling for 30+yrs.)

I am asking from the point of never having had a chipped bowling ball.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

As long as the chips are not in your track, you do not need to do anything. If they are on that part of the ball, a local pro shop can most likely fill them and resurface.

Had you noticed the chips at the alley you could have taken the balls to the counter and complained. Alleys will often have their pro shops repair the damaged balls at no cost to the bowler.
    John

Step into my office

Chats: 42

Chris,

If they chips aren't in your track, I wouldn't mess with them. If you do want to get them fixed, you'll need to take them to a pro shop to be filled. They can fix the chips and resurface the ball to make sure it's smooth and in round.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    As long as the chips are not in your track, you do not need to do anything. If they are on that part of the ball, a local pro shop can most likely fill them and resurface.

Had you noticed the chips at the alley you could have taken the balls to the counter and complained. Alleys will often have their pro shops repair the damaged balls at no cost to the bowler.
    Thinking about, regardless of whether I had noticed the first ball being chipped or not, the alley I was at that day. The alley I was at, no longer had a pro shop. The 'bowling pro shop' in the DC-Metro region is becoming a fading memory like the drive-in theaters, and car window fast food service(it was nostalgically used in the 1988 John Candy/Dan Akyroyd vehicle 'The Great Outdoors').

I only found four bowling pro shops in the entire region. When I got my new ball drilled, the pro shop owner told me it is because everything is being done online.

I think the chips are in the track on both balls. Because the chips are in the same spot on both balls.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    Chris,

If they chips aren't in your track, I wouldn't mess with them. If you do want to get them fixed, you'll need to take them to a pro shop to be filled. They can fix the chips and resurface the ball to make sure it's smooth and in round.
    I think I will do that, once the weather clears up.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

To be honest with you, if they are just small chips, the chance of them really affecting the roll of the ball is minimal. If you roll over the engraved label on a bowling ball, it doesn't lessen the reaction of the ball. I guess we'd need to see pictures of the damage to really give you the best advice.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Chats: 4

I have some old retired bowling balls setting in the back room that has chips and
    scratches all in the track area and they always worked just fine as long as it isn't
    large chips in the track it shouldn't really hurt anything.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    To be honest with you, if they are just small chips, the chance of them really affecting the roll of the ball is minimal. If you roll over the engraved label on a bowling ball, it doesn't lessen the reaction of the ball. I guess we'd need to see pictures of the damage to really give you the best advice.
    I have been thinking they may be as much of a problem as I originally thought. But still, I can shake the feeling that, the chips in both bowling balls, could potentially do some damage to a lane.

I will take pictures tonight and upload them.

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    I have some old retired bowling balls setting in the back room that has chips and
    scratches all in the track area and they always worked just fine as long as it isn't
    large chips in the track it shouldn't really hurt anything.
    I will upload pics tonight.

Angry

I took the pics. But I need to convert them from .jpeg, because otherwise they won't be accepted by the website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast