Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verbal abuse in coaching/It doesn't work

Chats: 0

Default Verbal abuse in coaching/It doesn't work

Fear doesn’t enhance an athlete’s sports experience. And it’s not good motivators,although some
    coaches try to rely on it. Fear is a mental game killer. To really benefit from and enjoy sports, young athletes need to feel confident and safe.Not bullied.

Verbal and emotional abuse is common in athletics. It can lead to severe and long-lasting effects on the athlete’s social and emotional development.

None of these is a worthwhile motivator for anyone. These are the bricks which line the road paved to burnout, rebellion and hatred of a once-loved sport.

Most coaches coach the same way that they were coached while playing the sport growing up. This means that many coaches are still operating by using training methods used in the 1970's.

Youth coaches are critical to kids’ sports experiences. They can influence whether young athletes enjoy sports and want to continue playing. Some coaches can get kids excited about sports, while other coaches may discourage kids or take the fun out of sports. A good coach can keep kids’ interest in sports alive.

Great article! Motivators overtime get better performance out of there players than irrational coaches by a long run!
    Last edited by HunterRunsIt; 11-22-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

From Dune: "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

And once again I set my mind in motion.

I agree completely. People already give themselves enough of a kicking when they bowl as is, let alone someone who is supposed to be there to help them joining in.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

There are other things that coaches and teachers do that fail to motivate. I had one P.E. teacher, fresh out of college, who insisted that students had to meet a certain skill level before being allowed to actually play tennis on the courts. To this day I have zero interest in tennis. This same teacher was the Lacrosse coach and and when we had lacrosse in gym class, we would work on a skill for 15 or 20 minutes, then spend the rest of the class playing lacrosse. A much more positive experience.
    John

Are they really young athletes?
    Or are they just children playing an organized adult sport? They play because the parents sign them up. They
    play because their friends are. They play because its fun. Teach them properly and the will learn and have fun.
    Coach them like they are adults and you will lose them.

You have to coach for the right reasons. You must focus on teaching your players proper values. Important values to teach include discipline, hard work, conquering fear and tension, having pride in their selves and their teammates, establishing attainable goals, and more importantly striving to accomplish those goals.

Don't coach for the wrong reasons, such as boosting your ego or wanting to be in the limelight. Don't use your players to fan your ego because then they become pawns instead of people.

Ringer

Motiv Girl hit it on the nose with that last post. teach good values. I had a great little league coach in baseball. our tema made it to the finals and we were up by one point. the apposing team had the last at bat and could win. my coach put in the most inexperienced players in key positions. I remember at first feeling upset but I later found that it was a great lesson in teamwork and sportsmanship. anyway those players played like champs in positions they were unfamiliar with and held off the other team. the coach showed faith in these and the other players on the team. i was 10 years old and still remember that lesson to this day.

Bri

As a coach and role model, you will affect the lives of your players. Through your approach to coaching, you will show your players how to deal with many of the challenges they will face in life.

And one of the greatest experiences of coaching is to see the least talented suddenly blossom, all because you never gave up on the player. The player will not forget how they became successful and will take the same values into their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Motiv Girl View Post
    As a coach and role model, you will affect the lives of your players. Through your approach to coaching, you will show your players how to deal with many of the challenges they will face in life.

And one of the greatest experiences of coaching is to see the least talented suddenly blossom, all because you never gave up on the player. The player will not forget how they became successful and will take the same values into their lives.
    So True! These articles you right and advice you give is so great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast