Thread: Bowling Tips For The Beginner

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Smile Bowling Tips For The Beginner

Bowling Tips For The Beginner
    By Peter J Lee

Learning to bowl is fun and easy. The game of bowling is centuries old, and it is enjoyed by fun-seekers and professionals all over the world. When you want to learn how to bowl, head to the bowling alley for the best instruction. Here a friend or teacher can coach you about all you need to know within a few short hours.
    You can rent or borrow both your bowling ball and your bowling shoes right at the bowling alley. Once you find the right shoe size and a bowling ball that is the correct weight for you, head down to the lane to practice. If possible, find a lane that is away from other bowlers so you won't be distracted.

Some lucky bowlers can get spares or even strikes with little or no skill, but that is not the norm. Don't get discouraged when you first start bowling if you only hit a few pins or send your ball to the gutter. This is absolutely normal. If you concentrate on what you are doing and listen to your instructor, your game will get better.
    Your bowling ball is simply a sphere with holes in it. You put your middle finger and your ring finger into the holes to get a grip on the ball before releasing it toward the pins. There are three ways to grip the bowling ball.

The Conventional Grip has you putting your fingers into the holes up to the second joint. With the Finger Tip Grip, you insert your fingers just until the first joint. Then you have the Sarge-Easter Grip, where you put both fingers in one hole, but this one is just for experienced bowlers.

Your teacher will usually show you both the Conventional Grip and the Finger Tip Grip, and you can use whichever one you are more comfortable with.
    Most bowlers take three steps forward before they release the bowling ball. This will generally give you the correct approach and follow through needed to get the ball to reach the pins. Focus on the arrows, markers and dots on the lane to help guide your ball to its target.

Bowling is fun and not too difficult, but you won't become a pro overnight. If you want to improve as a bowler, you have to practice and listen to your instructor. You can also get some great tips and tricks from the lane operator at your bowling alley. They are there every day, so they are pretty much an encyclopedia of bowling.

Stop by The Bowling Coach to learn more about bowling terms and bowling rules.
    Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Peter_J_Lee

Go Broncos!

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

I can not stress how important it is to learn the 3-6-9 spare shooting rule

Making spares
    Missed spares
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default A Simple Sparing System

As Bowling Editor for BellaOnline.com, I wrote an article about the 3-6-9 Sparing System. Here it is:

The simplest and most commonly taught sparing methodology for beginners is "The 3-6-9 Rule." It is an easy way to determine where and at what angle you need to throw the ball to pick up spares. Please note that this is an estimate and you'll have to practice in order to fine tune it to your exact style of bowling. The important thing is that you will have a foundation upon which to build your spare shooting.

Before you start, though, learn the pin positions, the "boards," the "target arrows" on the lanes, and how to recognize the "key pin" in a spare set-up. This, and any future methods or systems you learn, will depend heavily on your knowledge of pins, boards, targets, and key pins.

Here's a quick summary:

1) Pin Positions - (standing at the foul line, looking at the pins) - the full rack is in a triangular set up. Think of then as four rows of pins with each row being numbered from left to right - in order to make a triangle, the first row has 1 pin, the second row has 2 pins, the third row has 3 pins, and the fourth row has 4 pins. Numbering the pins, then: the pin closest to you is Pin 1 or more commonly referred to as the "headpin;" row two has Pin 2 and Pin 3 (remember, left-to-right); row three has Pin 4, Pin 5, and Pin 6; and row four has Pin 7, Pin 8, Pin 9, and Pin 10.

2) Boards - a standard bowling lane has 39 boards.

3) Target Arrows - there are seven target arrows 15 to 17 feet from the foul line. Each arrow is 5 boards apart and the middle arrow sits on the 20th board whether you count from the left or right channel.

4) Key Pin - in any spare combination (except for splits), the key pin is the pin closest to you. For example: in the 2-4-5 pin spare, the 2 pin is the key pin; in the 6-10 spare, the 6 pin is the key pin; and in the 1-3-10 spare, the headpin is the key pin.

Note: For split combinations, the key "pin" is actually the missing pin that gives you the best chance for making (converting) the split. For example: the 3-10 split, the 6 pin is the key pin; in the 4-5 split, the 2 pin is the key pin; and for the 6-7-10 split, the 10 pin is the key pin. If you visualize these examples, you'll be able to see that if you "hit" the missing key pin, you will have a better than average chance of converting the split.

On the lane approach, it is important for you to know that there are dots on each of the two starting lines. In a regulation lane set-up, the large dot is lined up with the middle target arrow (20th board) and each dot to the left and right of that large dot are 5 boards apart. Therefore, the first dot to the right of the large dot is the 15th board (third target arrow); the second dot to the right of the large dot is the 10th board (second target arrow); and the third dot to the right of the large dot is the 5th board (first target arrow). Vice-versa for the dots to the left side.

The simplicity of the 3-6-9 rule is that the base point is where you stand and aim for your strike, or first, ball. Once you have this established, it is then just a matter or moving 3, 6, or 9 boards to your left or right depending on where your key pin is; but, you still aim for the same target. If the key pin is on the right side of the lane as you look at it, then you move left; if the key pin is on the left side of the lane as you look at it, then you will move right.

When the key pin is the headpin, you do not have to move from your base point.

When the key pin is the three pin, move 3 boards to your left; when the key pin is the six pin, move 6 boards to your left; and when the key pin is the ten pin, move 9 boards to your left.

When the key in is the two pin, move 3 boards to your right; when the key pin is the four pin, move 6 boards to your right; and when the key pin is the seven pin, move 9 boards to your right.

Simple, no? Now just go out and practice your spares using this "3-6-9 Rule" as your starting point. For the beginner, this rule will at least give you a system for making spares; for the person who takes a keener interest and advances their style, this rule will be at least the base system to begin building on.

Choc576 - http://bowling.bellaonline.com

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by choc576 View Post
    As Bowling Editor for BellaOnline.com, I wrote an article about the 3-6-9 Sparing System. Here it is:

The simplest and most commonly taught sparing methodology for beginners is "The 3-6-9 Rule." It is an easy way to determine where and at what angle you need to throw the ball to pick up spares. Please note that this is an estimate and you'll have to practice in order to fine tune it to your exact style of bowling. The important thing is that you will have a foundation upon which to build your spare shooting.

Before you start, though, learn the pin positions, the "boards," the "target arrows" on the lanes, and how to recognize the "key pin" in a spare set-up. This, and any future methods or systems you learn, will depend heavily on your knowledge of pins, boards, targets, and key pins.

Here's a quick summary:

1) Pin Positions - (standing at the foul line, looking at the pins) - the full rack is in a triangular set up. Think of then as four rows of pins with each row being numbered from left to right - in order to make a triangle, the first row has 1 pin, the second row has 2 pins, the third row has 3 pins, and the fourth row has 4 pins. Numbering the pins, then: the pin closest to you is Pin 1 or more commonly referred to as the "headpin;" row two has Pin 2 and Pin 3 (remember, left-to-right); row three has Pin 4, Pin 5, and Pin 6; and row four has Pin 7, Pin 8, Pin 9, and Pin 10.

2) Boards - a standard bowling lane has 39 boards.

3) Target Arrows - there are seven target arrows 15 to 17 feet from the foul line. Each arrow is 5 boards apart and the middle arrow sits on the 20th board whether you count from the left or right channel.

4) Key Pin - in any spare combination (except for splits), the key pin is the pin closest to you. For example: in the 2-4-5 pin spare, the 2 pin is the key pin; in the 6-10 spare, the 6 pin is the key pin; and in the 1-3-10 spare, the headpin is the key pin.

Note: For split combinations, the key "pin" is actually the missing pin that gives you the best chance for making (converting) the split. For example: the 3-10 split, the 6 pin is the key pin; in the 4-5 split, the 2 pin is the key pin; and for the 6-7-10 split, the 10 pin is the key pin. If you visualize these examples, you'll be able to see that if you "hit" the missing key pin, you will have a better than average chance of converting the split.

On the lane approach, it is important for you to know that there are dots on each of the two starting lines. In a regulation lane set-up, the large dot is lined up with the middle target arrow (20th board) and each dot to the left and right of that large dot are 5 boards apart. Therefore, the first dot to the right of the large dot is the 15th board (third target arrow); the second dot to the right of the large dot is the 10th board (second target arrow); and the third dot to the right of the large dot is the 5th board (first target arrow). Vice-versa for the dots to the left side.

The simplicity of the 3-6-9 rule is that the base point is where you stand and aim for your strike, or first, ball. Once you have this established, it is then just a matter or moving 3, 6, or 9 boards to your left or right depending on where your key pin is; but, you still aim for the same target. If the key pin is on the right side of the lane as you look at it, then you move left; if the key pin is on the left side of the lane as you look at it, then you will move right.

When the key pin is the headpin, you do not have to move from your base point.

When the key pin is the three pin, move 3 boards to your left; when the key pin is the six pin, move 6 boards to your left; and when the key pin is the ten pin, move 9 boards to your left.

When the key in is the two pin, move 3 boards to your right; when the key pin is the four pin, move 6 boards to your right; and when the key pin is the seven pin, move 9 boards to your right.

Simple, no? Now just go out and practice your spares using this "3-6-9 Rule" as your starting point. For the beginner, this rule will at least give you a system for making spares; for the person who takes a keener interest and advances their style, this rule will be at least the base system to begin building on.

Choc576 - http://bowling.bellaonline.com
    Thank you so much for sharing this ...I have gone over this the past 3 weeks with my kids at Glenfair Lanes in Glendale....... I knowthis will help many bowlers out there !!!
    Last edited by onefrombills; 07-27-2008 at 01:14 AM.
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default I Thought I Recognized The Name

Hey, Brian:

I know your son. My grandchildren are Mikela, Kobi, and Megan. I feel a bit embarassed that I did not recognize you right off the bat. I will be helping Jen coach next season. As you know, I currently bowl Friday nights in the "Cereal Killers" with my grandson and Larry Ely is bowling with my grandaughter.

See ya,

Choc576
    Last edited by choc576; 07-28-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Super Moderator

Yeah I went to the website you listed and thought that was you.....It will be great to have you on the Coaching staff

When I see ya maybe you can tell me more about that site if your still writing for them ?
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member