Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer Taboo

I'll make an addition to this post not least because people do not seem to believe I actually clean my balls very thoroughly both during play and after. I genuinely thank you for the replies and advice but I also did try to stress that I really do take very good care of my bowling balls.

The Taboo did start to die very quickly on me. It's not my lack of cleaning with a cloth between shots. I use good quality micro fiber towels and the one in my bag is clean every week. I clean my balls (usually with branded ball cleaners) after every night. The other ball currently used in my bag does not suffer as much from lack of reaction after 1 game. However....

The Taboo had been heavily used. As people often like the 200+ game mark as a sign a ball may need replacing, it had bowled over 200 games (probably welll over) when practice is taken into account. In my mind this was why the ball was dying, but then as I say I have an even older Morich Mania in the bag that although not as 'hooky' as when new (which ball is?) still lasts an evening if used in every game.

My theory is a simple one. Despite cleaning, you're not going to get the oil soaked deep into the ball out. Even a 'bath' will only get so much of that out. As a good reactive ball picks up more oil during play and certainly absorbs some of it, the Taboo was simply reaching saturation point very quickly i.e. so much oil in the ball it had nowhere to go after a game or so. The various cleaners on the market from alcohol to high end branded products simply cannot suck oil out of anything but the surface of the ball or maybe just a little below it.

I think the theory holds true after having had it sit in the revivor oven at the local pro shop for a spell. It's now almost back to its original performance and certainly now lasts 3-6 games again. It simply soaks the oil up like a sponge and needs a deep, deep cleaning more so than perhaps some other balls in a similar price/performance range. This is perhaps not a huge minus point for the ball but something to bear in mind when purchasing this (or tbh any) ball i.e. get it cleaned deeply from time to time.

So I once again love my Taboo

My biggest problem with my initial 'review' (apart from missing loads of info people like such as drilling layout etc) I think is that I posted it giving my views of the ball after some heavy usage. People are so used to a ball being rated out of the box and usually being praised because...most balls are great straight out of the box. Give a review 6 months or so down the line and it confuses. Personally I'd like to see more reviews on a balls performance after some use, as that's the real world for many of us. I'd love to replace a ball every 200-300 games but with the amount I already spend on bowling and other hobbies (golf springs to mind) it's sadly not gonna happen.
    Tony

Chats: 506

i use the hammer taboo deep purple i love it i have room for error roughly 2-4 boards i have it drilled to go long and then cut but i do love it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12