Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer Taboo

Default Hammer Taboo

I purchased this to own something a little less aggressive than the Morich Mania I'd been using. Something to turn to when I just can't seem to get that 10 pin down.

To be honest I didn't expect to get quite the hook it gives. It breaks much later than the Morich but strongly enough almost hit the same spot. It's now become the ball I start with, replacing the Mania in that respect.

There is a however and quite a big one. I mentioned it's the ball I now start with and that's because on heavy oil it seems to lose reaction pretty quickly. After a good clean at home it's fine again but one game on the heavy oil we experience on our current league lanes kills a lot of the reaction for me. I've tried the various in game cleaners etc etc with little difference.

Maybe my slightly rev challenged style (combined with a little too much speed - something I'm working on fixing) is the root cause but then with the Mania I can manage 3 games without having to switch. Not so with the Taboo.

Overall I still love the ball. For very heavy oil though that one game and it's finished for the night for me.

** A quick edit to say this is the original Taboo and not the new one so it's seen quite a few games now
    Last edited by littlelegs; 12-01-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Im working on getting the taboo atm, Iv'e heard its quite agressive actually if your still looking for a less agressive ball I would try the Ebonite Vital Sign.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

I would make sure you're wiping your ball off after each frame with a microfiber towel. This should help. Also, you could even clean the ball with an approved cleaner every half game or so if that's what it takes.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    I would make sure you're wiping your ball off after each frame with a microfiber towel. This should help. Also, you could even clean the ball with an approved cleaner every half game or so if that's what it takes.
    I forgot about that! But yeah be sure not to accidently alter the surface of your ball besides the cleaning. Some leagues don't allow it.

I wipe every frame and as I say have tried the approved cleaners too. It could be the ball simply needs either a spell in the revivor oven or is even past its prime as I used it heavily for a while. And as I say it's only the really heavy oil I get the issue.

I should also stress I'm talking about the original taboo here and not the new perl. I'd like to get my hands on the new one to see. In the past I've often found that perl balls will soak up less oil and thus clean better during league play (for fairly obvious reasons I presume).

Chats: 1

Another thing that may be happening is that you're not adjusting your line as the lanes transition from oily to dry. The Taboo requires a bit of oil to prevent the ball from losing energy before hitting the dry boards. If your ball is hitting the pocket like a marshmallow, then it's time to move in a bit to find more oil.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

That may be it in part but then again there's little changed since I started out as far as preferred line goes, but the reaction dropped for me. However, I'm going to get it revivored and we'll see how it does after that. I've a feeling it simply soaked up just a little too much oil during the heat in the summer. Let's see if getting most of that out helps.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelegs View Post
    That may be it in part but then again there's little changed since I started out as far as preferred line goes, but the reaction dropped for me. However, I'm going to get it revivored and we'll see how it does after that. I've a feeling it simply soaked up just a little too much oil during the heat in the summer. Let's see if getting most of that out helps.
    Are you bowling on wood or synthetics?

In the bags:

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I have some additional questions from the group pertaining to your original concern.

1. Is the microfiber towel better that just a regular towel. Is it better at removing the oil from the surface of the ball?

2. As a lane is bowled on, does the oil dry quickly or does the ball remove the oil it slides over. If it is loosing the reaction, I would think it is sliding farther and not grabbing the lane surface because of the oil on the ball. If the lane was drying it would start hooking early.

Are my thought correct?

Quote Originally Posted by tumblebug1949 View Post
    I have some additional questions from the group pertaining to your original concern.

1. Is the microfiber towel better that just a regular towel. Is it better at removing the oil from the surface of the ball?

2. As a lane is bowled on, does the oil dry quickly or does the ball remove the oil it slides over. If it is loosing the reaction, I would think it is sliding farther and not grabbing the lane surface because of the oil on the ball. If the lane was drying it would start hooking early.

Are my thought correct?
    1) I find that microfiber works well for removing oil from a ball. I also like it for applying ball cleaners. Get them from an auto parts store, it's a lot cheaper than a pro shop.

2) If a ball loses reaction in the course of a game, my first guess would be that the oil has been removed from that area of the lane. The initial skid of the ball is much shorter, and it starts rolling too soon. The ball loses energy. It will not hit the pins with any authority. You could switch to a weaker ball, or a pearl to get the ball to skid further if you stay in that area. If you adjusted for this on wooden lanes, you would be making moves inside to find some oil. On synthetics, the loss of ball reaction could also be carry-down. In my brief experience on synthetics, the adjustment for this would be to switch to a stronger ball or moving slightly to the outside.

Too much oil causes the ball to skid much further, it will start hooking further down the lane.

Other folks on this site could probably explain this a bit better than me.

In the bags:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast