Thread: Bowling in heavy oil?

Default Bowling in heavy oil?

I've been bowling on and off for years (with house balls) but have recently started taking it more serious. At the alley I ussually bowl on, the lanes are always very dry. I've gotten to where i can bowl 175-200 consisently. Last night, i went to a different house. I could feel the oil on my ball, and had to keep wiping it off. (Ebonite Cyclone) and my best score was only a 148..

Any adivice on how to bowl in heavy conditions?
    I know the cyclone is best for light to medium oil conditions. Should I buy another ball to use during heavy conditions? If so, any suggestions?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I'm still fairly new to the in-depth parts of bowling. lol.

Chats: 4

Have you tried moving to the right in heaver oil conditions and slowing the ball down a little?
    If that doesn't work then you can always alter the surface with a 1000 grit abralon pad or a
    500 grit abralon pad even. Then when you go back to the dryer lane conditions you will have
    to polish it back up some or just go ahead and buy another heavy oil ball to start with if at all
    possible. If you are really going to get serious about bowling then you will need a good arsenal
    of bowling balls at least one for heavy oil, one for medium oil, and one for dryer lanes and maybe
    a plastic ball just for spares.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 0

Having heavy oil equipment is ok, but if it's not something you use regularly you wont be able to predict what the ball is going to do. You wont be able to throw the same shot. The answer is adjusting to lane conditions. That's the point of travel leagues; to bowl at different houses on different conditions, leading to different results. These are the best bowlers because they know how to adjust to all conditions. Myself I use 2 balls that aren't very different, but I know how to throw them for varying oil patterns and levels of oil saturation. Many adjustments include moving way right and throwing at an inward angle when hook is hard to come by. Also holding your ball lower in your setup stance will make your swing shorter and slowing your ball speed. Hope this helps.

For really heavy oil I usually start way right and play along the gutter and then often switch to a straighter line (aiming towards the 3 pin) if the lane breaks down and I lose hook from there. Obviously you have to find what works for you but both the suggestions the peeps above made should help.
    Tony

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by littlelegs View Post
    For really heavy oil I usually start way right and play along the gutter and then often switch to a straighter line (aiming towards the 3 pin) if the lane breaks down and I lose hook from there. Obviously you have to find what works for you but both the suggestions the peeps above made should help.
    Actually that would differ depending on the length of the pattern. This article should help. https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...ue&chrome=true
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
    Actually that would differ depending on the length of the pattern. This article should help. https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...ue&chrome=true
    Fair point and I must admit that was in reference to the current league conditions where I'm bowling and something that's currently working for me there.
    Tony