Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So much to learn!

Default So much to learn!

Looking for a lot of info here. First time post, hoping some people can give me some direction here.

Some background. Started bowling at about age 10 (now 23), took about a 3 year brake while in college but i'm bowling regularly again in leagues now, for about the past 2 years.

As far as styles go, I tend to prefer a gradual hook over a sharp one, and like a more controllable shot than go deep-brake hard toss across the lanes. I'm currently using a Twisted Fury Solid strike ball, drilled however the pro-shop guy would for somebody who has no knowledge of drilling styles. I'm holding a 176 or so average in my current league, and I'm looking to increase consistency.

My biggest issue is simply lack of knowledge. I have almost no idea what PAP, rev rate, differential, coverstock, or any of the other vast number of bowling terminology means and how it affects my game. Trying to do my own google research proves more confusing than anything, so hear I am.

Can anybody give some idea or direction on how best to learn some of these more advances aspects of the game so I can start using them to improve?

Also, I'm interested in looking at ways (or new balls to invest in) to deal with carry down. I feel like my Twisted Fury Solid deals very well for the first game or two, but then tapers off in game 3 when the oil spreads downlane. Any tips for carry down issues? Should I bite the bullet and buy something better for late game situations?

Thanks for reading my overwhelming attempt to self-educate!

Chats: 0

A 176 is a fine average, but consistency IS the most difficult part of the game. To gain that part you will need ONE thing; PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! The gentle curving shot you throw is very effective on most house oil patterns. I'm guessing towards your third game your hook gets very weak. The solution isn't going to come from buying another ball. Consistency comes from knowing how to adjust yourself to the lanes' deterioration throughout the series. The oil gets dried up/pushed down to the back of the lane reducing the friction between your ball and it. The proper response is adjustment on your part.

ADJUSTMENTS FOR SUCCESS:

1. When the lanes break down and you aren't hooking, move your feet to the right a few boards and throw at the same mark. If the ball tracks better towards the pocket then move another board or two left or right to perfect it.
    2. Ensure that your hand is staying behind the ball, wrist stays tight, and you are getting proper rotation, a 16lb ball DOES wear on your wrist as the night goes on. Along with that needs to come a strong follow-through.
    3. FOCUS - Don't let your mind get lazy, concentration is key. It takes many elements all happening correct at once to achieve consistency. While high scores are the main focus of us all, closing each frame is equally important. One shot at a time

All of these things you have to practice. And not just in league; you have to get out and practice with or without friends or teammates. I'm fortunate that my league gives out free passes so I use them at least once a week just to practice. No one ever got any better just bowling their 3 league games a week. I hope some of this will aid you in achieving more consistency. Add to this post after your next league series and tell me how it goes. KEEP ON ROLLIN'
    Last edited by BallBuster; 11-16-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Your questions about PAP, rev rate, differential, etc. have more to do with choosing a new ball than actually bowling. Your PAP, rev rate, and ball speed can be used by the ball driller to determine the best layout for your ball. the lane conditions that you normally bowl on influence the coverstock selection,as well as whether you need a high or low RG or a high or low differential.

Without investing in new equipment, you can work on developing:
    A free arm swing
    Good timing
    A consistent release
    A pre-shot mental routine
    Good focus on your target
    A spare shooting targeting system that works for you.

It really helps to have someone else watching you and giving you feedback.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

If your wanting info Get this PDF its called
    Click here "Chapter 6 – Bowling Ball Parts and Dynamics"

"Chapter 6 – Bowling Ball Parts and Dynamics"

Its appears to be from a USBC Bronze Certification coaching manual. Its 58 pages long and
    has most of the basic information you could want. Everyone should read this

Info on proper/improper fit, span & pitches, coverstocks, surface adjustments
    Ball Construction and Dynamics
    Basic bowling ball math
    Weight blocks
    Pin
    Center of Gravity (CG)
    Pin-in/pin-out
    Radius of Gyration (RG)
    Preferred Spin Axis (PSA)
    Differential
    Track flare
    Static weights

and more.

also get
    click here for chapter 8 USBC Lane Play pdf

click here for chapter 7 USBC Fine Tuning the Physical Game pdf

click here for Matching the Ball to the Bowler pdf
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-18-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by BallBuster View Post

All of these things you have to practice. And not just in league; you have to get out and practice with or without friends or teammates. I'm fortunate that my league gives out free passes so I use them at least once a week just to practice. No one ever got any better just bowling their 3 league games a week. I hope some of this will aid you in achieving more consistency. Add to this post after your next league series and tell me how it goes. KEEP ON ROLLIN'
    172, 128, and 174 in league this afternoon with a 172 average. I was happy with a couple of average games, but obviously my consistency is all over the place. My strike shot was on the money the first game, but my lacking spare game killed the possible 200. By game 2, the strike shot was dead and I wasn't getting any curve on my shot, even playing as far out as I could. Practically had to throw it straight, but I think the lanes were more oily than normal, since it seemed like others were having a rough time with getting any grab. Game 3 the strikes were still gone, but I had a decent spare game which brought the game up.

I talked to my pro shop guy both before and after the games to try and learn something from him. He took a look at my ball and figured out that the drill layout on the ball was basically all wrong for my hand size now. I'm guessing my hand grew in between, since I have had the ball for probably 4 years now. So I'm getting the thumb filled and redrilled, and then fitted with a thumb slug.

So aside from doing all of the form things I already know to do, I just don't know how else to get that consistency back, let alone improve the average. Thanks for the help thus far!

I'm guessing that throughout your series you had 8-12 open frames. Those spare pickups are essential, if you can cut that number in half you will see your average jump 10-20 pins, and your "bad game" will be average compared to your better ones . Like I said before take it one frame at a time and concentrate. Develop a pre-shot routine and stick to it whether it's a strike or spare shot.
    Do you use your reactive ball to pickup spares or a plastic ball?

If your curve goes dead:
    Ensure you are staying firmly behind the ball and not coming around the side.
    Hold the ball lower in your set-up stance, thus making a shorter pendulum and slower ball speed to give it more time to gain friction.

Today I found a great tool on youtube, checkout the channel "http://www.youtube.com/user/RSvirtualbowling" Today I watched every video and took notes to take with me to my next practice/league session. This guy really did open me up to elements of my game I hadn't considered.

4 BIG C's For Success
    - Control
    - Confidence
    - Consistency
    - Concentration
    Last edited by BallBuster; 11-19-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BallBuster View Post
    Do you use your reactive ball to pickup spares or a plastic ball?
    For spares, it really depends on the shot. If i'm hitting something that requires some hook, then typically I will (i.e. any appropriate spares with the pocket intact, or like 1-2-4 spares, etc). For 6, 10, or 6-10 I'm using a 14lb (instead of 16) very old Zone ball I had from high school that goes almost completely straight, and I'm fairly accurate with it, though I've though about swapping it out for just a house ball. At league today, I almost had to use the 14lb Zone for any of my spares because my reactive ball was just getting nothing from the lanes. Started to get better at the end, but even some of those spares were from the Zone, and carrydown was killing my reactive (I have a general problem with carrydown at this point). I'm waiting to get my Twisted Fury back from the shop after the redrilling and thumb slug. I'm curious to see how much it changes

Fixing your spread length will make a big difference for you. I know it did for me. I had a thumb hole moved in my Messenger Titanium and 3 games later I shot 277! The difference was that I had a better spread and was able to get more hand on the ball and thus getting more revs. On top of that I started tucking my pinky so I am getting much more back end hook.

Ok, so I got the Twisted Fury back earlier today. My pro-shop guy basically had to re-teach my to throw the ball properly because I have apparently gotten used to throwing it so poorly. He told me that because drill pattern for the ball made the grip to small for me that I was actually gripping the ball instead of holding it, which sort of made me force my shots and my rotation. With the newer, properly fitting re-drill, I had to learn to keep my thumb relaxed so it actually came off my hand. After about 3 or 4 practice releases in the pro shop, it felt fairly comfortable. So I took it out.....and went 9/12 strikes with a 256 game! I haven't seen scores like that in over 5 years. I was floored. Can't believe that stupid ball was set wrong this whole time haha. I'm taking it out again tomorrow because I want to test it out some more.

I know aside from the re-drill, he said he did something to help with oil saturation (no clue what that's called in pro-shop language) and he roughed the ball down some (something like a 600-grit? Again, not fully understanding of the language and terms) so he did say those would help the ball roll sooner, and I deffinetly know I noticed it almost right away.

Any tips on how I should maintain my ball now as I continue to use it? I've thought about buying some sort of polish or rough buff, but I have literally no idea how to use either product properly or what would be best to buy. I just would rather not see the ball decline again over time when there are ways I can maintain it easily. Recommend any products? perhaps tell me how/when to use them?

Definately a ball maintenance question for google or your pro-shop guy. Today I got my Storm X-Factor Vertigo back after getting the spread remeasured and the thumb moved just an 1/8 inch. From that adjustment tonight I threw 184-226-198 for a pleasing 608. My average being 175. You are probably getting much more hand on the ball, same as me giving you better angle of the roll. I opened 5 frames that could have all been made :'-( Let's hope next week is even better :-).

KEEP ON ROLLIN'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast