Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My best/worst league game in a while.

Excuse my french, but I figure if I'm going to be here for the long haul, everyone you will hear my french a lot.

Handicaps are for pussies, and so is sandbagging. I feel sorry for anyone that has to deal with them.

Bowler
    Chats: 2

You comment is not appropriate at all. With that kind of attitude, I doubt you will provide much help to Bowling Boards.

With that kind of assumption I'd say you really don't know much about me at all. Pete Weber has a far worse mouth then I do and there's NO WAY he could help out a bowler.

Facts are I'm a hardcore competitor and researcher. I may have just gotten into bowling but what I bring in to the sport and this forum is intensity. Sounds a little stupid I know, but I'm just trying to show you what kind of a poster I'll be. If you don't like it I'm sure their might be a "block" me button.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Handicaps are large part of bowling and they aren't going away. Personally I think that if you're bowling for money, as most leagues seem to be run these days you should bowl scratch. Handicaps should be for social leagues.

As for Pete Weber, with thirty-some years as a pro, I certain he could help another bowler. Whether he would or not is a different question.
    John

Yeah the Pete Weber thing was just sarcasm on my part. Of course he could help another bowler, I just thought it was silly that because I said something a little risquè that the other poster figures I wouldn't bring anything to these forums. Give me a break.

He'll be happy to know I got a warning though

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Handicaps are large part of bowling and they aren't going away. Personally I think that if you're bowling for money, as most leagues seem to be run these days you should bowl scratch. Handicaps should be for social leagues.
    The prize money for handicap leagues seems odd to me but many seem to like it. I've been on the 'committee' a couple of times now to decide the prize distribution. Without fail the format that wins has the smallest difference between first and last which in my mind negates the object a little. I always tend to vote for one of the higher differences and invariably find few voting with me. That said handicap placement is a bit of a crap shoot I suppose.

I tend to look on it as a piggy bank to get some money back end of season for a new ball or somesuch. For more serious (but still low stakes) competitive bowling there's always the scratch eliminator and blind doubles that are run each night
    Tony

Oh and...back to the original subject of best/worst league game, I bowled my worst ever last night. 2nd game I missed a couple of easy spares at the start and suddenly started to over-think and second guess every shot to continue missing everything. This carried on for the whole game until finally I managed to sit down between games and laugh about it (as opposed to getting pissed during the game) and reset my mindset. The 3rd was much better. I won't post the score as it was truly embarrassing
    Tony

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Each league has it's own rules regarding establishing averages. At the next league meeting ask about changing the rules to using the last established league average. I bowl in three leagues. I practiced real seriously all summer. Found out when I was 40 pins over last year's average that my Saturday night league doesn't even look at last season's averages. I suppose being the league President I should have remembered that but that's besides the point. My other two leagues are a bit more serious and they start with the average we finished the previous season with.
    As for sandbagging....I did that once a few years back. Karma has got even as I haven't been able to reach the average I had before my head got so big.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12