Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10th Frame Etiquette

Default 10th Frame Etiquette

Sorry for the incoming wall of text, scroll down to the bottom for the short version and question.

So while bowling our position round this evening in my trio league we ran into some drama. As is usually the case with position rounds we had a couple of tight games. In the first game we came back from a deficit of around 40-50 pins to win a game by a slim margin (4-5 pins). The second game was equally as close, except that they almost came back from a 40-50 pin deficit, again we won by a small margin. In both cases it came down to the final bowler of both teams. In the first game we need a high count to win, and the second a mark and 2.

Well in both games, it just so happened that the other team's anchor went first. This was of his own accord because the second person of our team (me) was still bowling. In both cases I was working on finishing out my frame, and his team mates had already finished. Out of courtesy our anchor let the guy bowl out his frame, before he went up to bowl.

At the end of the second game after our guy bowled a strike on his first roll, the other guy storms off in a fit to go have a smoke. When he comes back he complains very loudly (so that we can hear) to his wife/teammate. He says that we are cheating by "chump" bowling and are waiting to see the score to see exactly what we have to roll to win. He also says that he will be looking into the bylaws. Needless to say this sucked all the fun out of the evening, and we all just kinda bowled our last game really fast.

After reading over our league bylaws, and then re-reading (parts of) the USBC rule book, I fail to see anything that includes this. Our bylaws state: "No unreasonable delay in the progress of any game is permitted. If a player or teams refuses to proceed with a game after being directed to do so by a league official, the game or series shall be declared forfeited." As I understand it this mirrors the USBC rules.

Redux: Other team's anchor goes first in 10th frame, our anchor give him courtesy by bowling out the 10th frame and then rolls. Our team wins by tight margin both times. Other team's anchor complains we are cheating.

So my questions for the community:

1) Do you believe what our final bowler did was unethical or cheating?
    2) If done intentionally is this illegal? unethical? Again not the whole team but say the last person only?
    3) Do you bowl the same in the final frame, or extend courtesy especially in tight games?

I should say that we ended up winning out, and destroying them in the last game by 170 pins even though he rolled is best game.
    Last edited by Voltin; 01-10-2012 at 02:20 AM.

1) Nope.
    2) Nope. It can help or hinder. Knowing the score you have to beat isn't always an advantage as it then puts pressure on the shot. Some 'may' benefit a little, others won't.
    3) Not usually. Perhaps sometimes teams do when playing us but it's so unimportant in my mind that I've never taken much notice. Generally I simply play at a pace that suits me. Some nights I may let the person bowl out but usually I simply take my turn on each ball. The exception being I'd let someone with a string of 9 bowl the 10th out so that I don't disturb their rhythm.
    Tony

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

If your anchor was deliberately trying to get only enough pins to win it would be cheating. I know very few bowlers with the skill to do this successfully on a regular basis. Most of the time trying to do this results in not getting enough pins and losing.

In my leagues we extend normal lane courtesy in every frame. The exception is when someone has the front nine. Then the bowlers to either side of him or her will let that bowler finish first. I have a problem with this since I wasn't aware of it until last year, and I don't really pay attention to how anyone is scoring on other lanes.

I think the other teams anchor is just a sore loser. Had your anchor observed normal courtesy, your opponent would have probably complained that he should have been allowed to bowl out.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I think the other teams anchor is just a sore loser. Had your anchor observed normal courtesy, your opponent would have probably complained that he should have been allowed to bowl out.
    I think that's exactly the point. Never been into the sore loser thing. I like to win. I bowl to win. But...I bowl more to beat my personal bests than anything and the team winning is just a bonus. A handicap league is far more about the social aspect (and maybe practice with some friendly competition thrown in) than about winning. If we lose...oh well. There's always the next week/half a season/season. And especially if it's a handicap league....pft...it means almost nothing other than a couple of extra bucks end of season.
    Tony

The guy was being a bad sportsman all night well before the 10th frame. He was bowling well under average all but the last game, so I am sure that is main factor. I agree that is puts pressure on the final bowler. The fact of the matter, in this case, was that the rest of our team set up our anchor to be able to win with a less than perfect frame, through a spare, double and 9 in the first game and similar series the next.

I am glad that others agree. I, personally, am a stickler for rules when it comes to me and my team. I would never knowingly break any rules, or allow any member of my team too. But by the same token, I would never call another team out for anything less than an egregious rules violation. My opinion is that I am there to have fun, challenge myself and of course bowl in a competitive environment. This guy on the other hand is there to make everybody's evening miserable (including his own team's.)

Step into my office

Chats: 42

Everyone is correct, there are no rules against what was done. If it was such an issue for their anchor bowler, he could've thrown his first shot in the tenth and sat down until your anchor bowled. I don't really see a reason to let someone finish out a frame if you're already standing by the approach. That does seem a little fishy, but it's not illegal.

There are always people who will take league way too seriously. It just comes with the territory.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Bowler
    Chats: 2

I actually am going against the grain here, sorry as I am just speaking my peace. The anchor should have bowled a shot when it was his turn. By not doing so, the anchor is mirroring what all the other sandbaggers do out there and just get enough to win knowing the score. It doesn't matter if it is scratch, handicap, or pot games. Where I bowl, there are just way too many baggers out there and it's getting ridiculous. If the opposing bowler bowled a strike in the first shot, your anchor needs to bowl his first ball if it is his turn. If the opposing player has the 2nd shot (spare attempt) when it is your anchor's turn, I will only bowl if I know I can get my ball shot in without delaying the other player. But waiting out for the opposing team to finish the full 10th frame before throwing the anchor's first shot is uncalled for. There are exceptions, but the way you explained it, I would not think this to be an exception.

The frame should be bowled pretty consistent with all the other frames. Did your anchor allow the opposing anchor to bowl out each of the other 9 frames?

To clarify, he wasn't standing at the approach ball in hand. He was sitting back behind the approach in the seating area. (Our center has an elevated approach and bank of 4 chairs behind the approach.) To be fair the football game was also on, so he was probably distracted / wanted to watch the play.

Also I know this wasn't bagging, the guy has a 140 average and would have LOVED to strike out in the 10th as would everybody else on our team. We all believe our averages suck and would to love to raise them, so this definitely was not about bagging.

As for consistent play through out the rest of the game, it sort of depends on courtesy around the pair and the speed of the frame. There are times when our 1st bowler and the anchor are up at the same time on each lane and times when their anchor and 1st bowler were up at the same. There are also times when our entire team is just sitting there waiting for their bowlers to get back from smoke breaks or w/e.

In the future I think we will just be a little more conscious of pacing to make sure this doesn't happen again.

EDIT: Also I believe he extended courtesy to allow the bowler to keep his rythmn, much as others say they do with those working on a 300.
    Last edited by Voltin; 01-10-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Voltin View Post

So my questions for the community:

1) Do you believe what our final bowler did was unethical or cheating?
    2) If done intentionally is this illegal? unethical? Again not the whole team but say the last person only?
    3) Do you bowl the same in the final frame, or extend courtesy especially in tight games?

I should say that we ended up winning out, and destroying them in the last game by 170 pins even though he rolled is best game.

Absolutely not, their anchor could have waited until your anchor got up to bowl. In our league, if there is a close game then the anchor on the left lane has the option to make the anchor on the right bowl first. This was adopted after a couple of arguments as to who bowls first. It works, however you'll always have someone complaining. It's the nature of the beast. I'm not sure that I understand what you're asking in your last question.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 4

We have a sore looser on our Wednesday night league and he gripes about everything if his team mates do
    not bowl all that good he gripes about that a little. Now when the opposing team they are bowling against
    bowls good then he really goes ballistic on the gripping and if they happen to bowl under their averages he
    accuses them of sandbagging so there is no reasoning with this guy. Now as for the original question(s) I'd
    have to say no to the the first 2 questions and I bowl my 10TH frame just as I would bowl my 1ST through
    9TH frames. I give 1 lane courtesy to the right side and left side of me so if no one is up on either side I just
    get up and bowl and not worry about how many pins is needed to win because I go for strikes and not to try
    for just a few pins to win because to me that is just plain old cheesy to do.

The sore looser gripes if you hit a perfect pocket hit and get a strike and look out if you happen to hit a high
    flush strike or a cross over strike he just goes off the deep end of gripping on those hits. He is the main reason
    I almost didn't start back bowling on Wednesday nights this season.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast