Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Warm Up Before Bowling - 5 Easy Tips

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Default How To Warm Up Before Bowling - 5 Easy Tips

How To Warm Up Before Bowling - 5 Easy Tips
    By Peter J Lee

No matter what the sport or physical activity, it is always advisable to warm up before you begin. Warming up helps your body get ready for physical activity and helps you to avoid injury. In fact, warm up exercises can actually make your game better, according to many health experts.
    Research has shown that performing a series of warm up exercises actually increases your abilities and could even eliminate the risk of injury. To prevent muscle strain or injury, always do your warm up exercises before beginning a game of bowling.
    Try these 5 warm up exercises in order the next time you bowl:

1. Stretch it out
    Before starting to bowl, make sure to do warm up exercises for your neck and shoulders. Hold each stretch for about eight seconds in order to properly work your muscles.

2. Get ready to sweat
    Your bowling warm up should make you sweat a little. One of the benefits to warming up before you play is an elevation in your body temperature. Once your body is warmed up, it won't need to release additional heat as you get more active during the game.

3. Include your arms in your stretch
    Bowling uses your flexors and extenders, so they should be nice and warmed up before you being playing. This gets your arms ready for the additional weight of the ball and the strain bowling puts on your arm.

4. Remember to breath
    Deep breathing is a vital part of your warm up session. Breath in deeply, hold it for about six counts, and then breath out. Repeat. This type of breathing gets your lungs in shape so you have more stamina.

5. Never stretch without warming up
    Be sure to do some warm up exercises before you start your regular bowling warm up routine. And if you ever feel pain while stretching, stop immediately.
    If you keep these warm up tips in mind whenever you get ready to bowl, you can be sure to remain comfortable and injury free during your bowling game.

At The Bowling Coach website, you can read more about bowling tips and bowling rules.
    Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Peter_J_Lee
    Go Broncos!

thanks much i always feel like a fool stretching as the only one that does it but i too find it helps alot. so join me everyone!!! : ]
    Keep throwing them strikes and keep your head up! How else are you supposed to watch them?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Quote Originally Posted by winzeses3 View Post
    thanks much i always feel like a fool stretching as the only one that does it but i too find it helps alot. so join me everyone!!! : ]
    Never feel like a fool....the fools are the ones that dont do it. Bowling is a sport and you need to stretch out like any other sport
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

thats always what i thought it keeps me loose and makes your body alot more fluent and relaxed
    Keep throwing them strikes and keep your head up! How else are you supposed to watch them?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

I stretch out legs and arms before I bowl all the time
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Great tips. Here is another article on warming up your various body parts before bowling:

http://www.website-articles.net/Arti...-Bowling/23516

Chats: 0

I always stretch before league starts, however for some reason I tend to bowl less than if I did not or even when I am not bowling in the league. For example if I am bowling on any off night and by myself I tend to bowl low 200's (except for the first game of course) but when it comes to league night and do the stretching have the beer prior to start get my mental state clear I am most often in the mid 100's - 180's. What am I doing or not doing? Is it possible I take too long to take my shot (usually have to make sure my hand is perfect on my ball about 10-15 seconds)? The main thing here is I know what I am capable of, it is doing it is the problem.

Never feel like a fool....the fools are the ones that dont do it. Bowling is a sport and you need to stretch out like any other sport
    Agreed - just ignore the stares and comments. The last thing any of us want - whether young or old - is a pulled hamstring or pulled groin because the approaches are bad, the bowler in front of you is using baby powder on their shoes, or the roof is leaking.

My brother made fun of me for stretching before bowling until Albuquerque last year when he pulled his hamstring 3 frames into the doubles event. He was done for the week.

To the original post I would add:

Have a hydration plan - dehydration wreaks havoc on our stabilizing muscles (the smallest ones) and our mental processes, causing fatigue. Drink water before you're thirsty. Joe Slowinski wrote an excellent article in a recent publication of Bowling This Month magazine on this subject.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Hmm, I never warm up before bowling, but with these tips i'll start now

Bowler
    Chats: 0

I always stretch before bowling. I'm the only one doing it, but who wouldn't want to be relaxed on the approach and release? Stretching helps...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast