Thread: New to this Site from Pa.

Default New to this Site from Pa.

I have been an OTR trucker for the last 35 years, was diagnosed wwith multiple myeloma in january, 2011, and am currently unemployed. My best friend is a league bowler, and he wants me to join his team. I bowked in eagues a long time ago, before I started truckin', and averaged around 175 then. The alley I bowled at back then is closed now, but they would allow league bowlers to practice at a discounted rate. Is that common practice now, as well? And, I am looking for a ball, but most of the terms are greekto me. I have been doing some reading, so I understand the difference in coverstocks, and the centers, but there is still a huge black hole in my understanding. When I bowled, I used a black Hammer. That was THE ball at that time. Unless you preferred the red Hammer. How does one use the "perfect scale on "bowling.com?" If one bowls with a ball intended to HOOK, do you have to have a separate ball for spares? Money is a major concern for me, any recommendations on a used ball ti look for? I guess I would say I was a stroker, I rolled slightly righ over the second arrow, the ball would carry to the first board, and, Lord willing, hook into the pocket. Thank you so much for your time and help.

Chats: 1

The "Perfect Scale" is supposed to give a bowler the ability to compare balls from different manufacturers. It's a bit easier than trying to determine what the ball would do from the manufacturers' description. The higher the number, the more a ball supposedly can hook. It doesn't tell you where the ball is hooking however. As for recommendations as to what to look for, I would ask a pro shop owner. Sometimes they will have balls that are used, or are discontinued with a reduced price.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Step into my office

Chats: 42

Jim is right, bowlingball.com's Perfect Scale is an overall hook rating scale. The higher the number, the more the ball will hook.

If you're just going to have one ball at first, you want something that is versatile and even rolling. Something like the Storm Tropical Heat Indigo/Violet Solid or Roto Grip Shooting Star would be good choices. You don't necessarily need a spare ball unless you have trouble flattening your hand out for those corner pins.

Welcome to the site!!
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

I am fairley new to the site myself. I wanted to respond because I just recently got serious about bowling again after my college years. I was using my Dad's 20 year old ball and knew nothing about hand position or hook rating or grips... pretty much everything! I did so well with a ball that didn't even fit me that the pro shop offered to custom fit me for a ball based on my throwing style (they had the CATS system but if the coach in your local proshop is willing to watch your style, they should be able to match your style to a ball).

I'm a tweener and I was best suited with the storm 2Fast. The ball has been perfect for me. However, I am a straighter bowler starting at the 8 board and playing between the 1st and 2nd arrow. This may seem uncoventional to your style, but I have since added an inside hook to my style. This ball has a long hook to the pocket and not a lot of back end reaction. It's more of a constant hook depending on how hard you throw. I can play the 15 board about 15 mph between the 2nd and 3rd arrow and it hits the pocket pretty hard.

Either way, you may want to ask your proshop to watch your style and see what ball would fit you best. You may fit better with a ball that has been on the market longer than one of the newer balls. If you buy from bowlingball.com you get massive discounts as well.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Well you came to the right place to fill in the gaps. perfect scale was one of my first questions here. everyone has been such a help. welcome to the forum.

Bri