Thread: positioning a ball in a spinner

Default positioning a ball in a spinner

looking for detailed instructions for the proper way to refinish / change surface of a ball.
    i own a ball spinner and have read the instructions but true ball placement is not really mentioned,
    other than fingers down, rotate 180 fingers up, then rotate 90 degrees then 180 so all four sides are done
    another article i read mentioned 2 more rotations i guess in a 45 degree from the last one not for sure how they make the last two movements?

because of the way the ball rolls down the alley should there be a certain direction the last sanding should be done
    so it grips the lane to create drive? or allows the ball to slide a bit further?

should i be more precise in positioning the ball in the spinner and orientate maybe off the pin and not finger holes or thumb hole?

any one know of a book somewhere that explains maybe different patterns of sanding for different reactions? or even the correct way to perform this process.

or do i need to go to some school to learn ball drilling for two days so i can get the 5 minute "This is how you can do it" class

thanks for any help

Chats: 1

Find a copy of Revolutions II by Chip Zielke. He describes different sanding methods for bowling balls in this book. There are also a few articles you can find on the web on sanding balls.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Heres a chart that shows the standard 6 sides of a bowling ball and how they look oriented on the spinner.
    http://home.earthlink.net/%7Elitefro...ball_Sides.pdf

Heres a page that shows you the different sanding patterns and what they do.
    http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_...surfacing.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

There are a few people that claim a 6 sided turning plan is the right way. I subscribe to 4 sided. I do the four sides you talked about. Remember the 500 grit base coat is the one you want to put good pressure on. The rest of the pads you use, you want to use light pressure. I also don't recommend having a lot of middle steps. I go from 500 to whatever the top coat is. (4000,2000, step 2 polish, etc.)They started to tell people that to finish a 4000 grit ball, you would go 500,1000,2000, then 4000. I find that it not only calms the ball down, but it also doesn't last as long. I find a better reaction going from 500 to 4000 grit.
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Ultimately it all depends on what you want to accomplish. Just a cover change or a return to the out of box finish (O.O.B.) or a full resurfacing (meaning the removal of all nicks,gouges etc.).

For just a cover change the 4 side plan is fine. As for what steps in grit, that all depends on what your looking for in regards to reaction. It will be different for everyone.

To go to the O.O.B. You should follow how the mfg. recommends, most ball companies now will tell you how to do it?
    For a full resurfacing I would go with the 6 sided plan, at least for the coarsest grit till you get to the base coat. To help maintain roundness if your not using CAB blocks.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

thanks to all for your input.
    i guess i have been doing it correctly
    but wanted to make sure i was

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by DanielMareina View Post
    There are a few people that claim a 6 sided turning plan is the right way. I subscribe to 4 sided. I do the four sides you talked about. Remember the 500 grit base coat is the one you want to put good pressure on. The rest of the pads you use, you want to use light pressure. I also don't recommend having a lot of middle steps. I go from 500 to whatever the top coat is. (4000,2000, step 2 polish, etc.)They started to tell people that to finish a 4000 grit ball, you would go 500,1000,2000, then 4000. I find that it not only calms the ball down, but it also doesn't last as long. I find a better reaction going from 500 to 4000 grit.
    This is called skip a grit. Basically whatever finish you want to end with, the second to last step should be 1/4 of that finish (i.e. 1000 - 4000, 500 - 2000, etc.).