Thread: full roller question....

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Default full roller question....

sometimes i think i might be getting to technical but i never thought that i might be interested in throwing a full roller till yesterday. i throw a down and in hooking ball but run into difficult oil patterns from time to time and thinking of a full roller to take the oil out of play. it seems if i come up through the back of the ball (instead of off the side), i get less hook and more of an end over end reaction. is that what i should do or get a ball drilled for that reaction? sometimes i see bowlers throwing spinniners but i know you don't drill the ball to get that reaction...it's just thier release.

Im not quite getting what your asking but depending on how the ball rolls its your release.

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Bowler

to throw a full roller,do i have to have the drilled for that or do i change hand postions or possibly both?

Chats: 1

Tracy,
    You can vary the axis of rotation on your ball by the position of your hand. This article by Joe Slowinski will describe how it's done. http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/...m_nov_2006.pdf .

If the volume of oil is too heavy for any equipment that I'm carrying, I take a more direct route to the pocket. I might lay down the ball at the 8 board, and hit the 10 or 12 board at the arrows. It keeps me in play until I can throw my normal shot.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Bowler

thanks jersey jim. i read the article on throwing a straight roll. iv'e done that by breaking my wirst (by accident and not wanting too) and my ball didn't have anything on it. so now i have to keep that in mind now when ever the lanes don't go my way. yesterday out of 3 games, i must have made @15 different moves just shot a respectable game so maybe this wil be my next move.thanx for the article

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I'm wondering is just what you are looking for, is it a more "heavy roll" for your ball? So that you have more control and a stronger drive with less deflection when hitting the pins? On the heavier oil conditions.

I ask because a "Full Roller" is where you release the ball and it tracks between the finger and thumb holes.
    If you hear someone say "Suitcase" in regards to the release, they are trying to throw a "full Roller. They are releasing the ball like holding a suitcase.
    There are Layouts for people who are full rollers. But a full roller release has a poorer pin carry. It might be a go to for when the lanes are dry though.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowler

i went out and worked on it today and found that if i roll my wrist down on my first step (instead of cupping or straight), the ball does lose the hooking action and that's what i'm looking for to take the conditions out of play.i'll just have to practice that more and see wear that leads me.

Bowler

"wear that leads me"?? now that's not correct spelling is it? where!

One of the best bowlers in the Detroit area throws a full roller, Dave Ewald. Recently, he shot 879.
    Current equipment: Roto Grip Hyper Cell Skid, Storm Fusion, Storm HyRoad, Storm IQ Tour Solid, Columbia White Dot. High Game: 300 High Series: 833
    See me at: mrbowling300
    See my classic pro bowler tour videos at: http://www.mrbowling300.com

Chats: 891

yeah if your track dose not go between the fingers and thumb like bowl1820 sead then dont get into full roller just adjust your shot, speed , rev rate and release there lotsof things that u can change and it will work.

for me i was close to a full roller cause i had the track eather right beside or right over my thumb hole but then my proshop guy told me some things that will help me get that track away from my thumb and its not anywhere near it anymore and im getting good shots going down those lanes.