Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Fagan, where is he looking?

Default Mike Fagan, where is he looking?

What is Mike aiming at? Is it just me or is his eyes focusing all the way down the lane? Everyone says to aim for an arrow. Example: 21 minutes and 29 seconds in. What do you think?

Anyone here aim for before or after the arrows?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Fagan may well be aiming at a spot past the arrows. While most bowlers use the same set of targets all the time, elite bowlers will often pick a target closer or farther down their line. The reasoning is that if you need to delay the ball's reaction you should target farther down the lane causing you to project the ball more. Conversely, targeting closer prompts a quicker ball reaction
    John

Chats: 0

Exactly what J anderson said, in that telecast, they were throwing heaters with loft down the lane, most likely trying to delay the ball reaction, he may have been looking at a break point he wanted to get to. I use arrows unless I need early roll then I look at the dots. only in extreme cases do I look further down lane to the break point.

Chats: 1

He may have been targeting the darker boards down lane. Most synthetics that I bowl on have a couple of darker colored boards around the 40 ft mark (this is a guess on my part). I know bowlers who will target these boards. This article will explain part of it. I generally set a target a couple of feet in front of the arrows to help me project the ball out on the lane. If the lane is oily, I generally will use the arrows, or occasionally the dots on the lanes. http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/..._targeting.pdf
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
    He may have been targeting the darker boards down lane. Most synthetics that I bowl on have a couple of darker colored boards around the 40 ft mark (this is a guess on my part). I know bowlers who will target these boards.
    The down lane markings (break point markers) on the Ten board start at 40 feet and are 3 feet long. The ones on the 15 board start at 34 feet and are also 3 feet long. They are found on the Brunswick lanes.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Fagan may well be aiming at a spot past the arrows. While most bowlers use the same set of targets all the time, elite bowlers will often pick a target closer or farther down their line. The reasoning is that if you need to delay the ball's reaction you should target farther down the lane causing you to project the ball more. Conversely, targeting closer prompts a quicker ball reaction
    Wow! Learn something new every day. My ball has a quick ball reaction and I don't like it, I wish it'd break further down. Interesting thing, when I bowled on a sport lane my ball would break further down and I could control it a whole lot better. Perhaps on the league lanes I should target farther down the lane? Something to experiment with.

Chats: 9

he is aiming down the right since the condition is very balanced

and is probably look down the boarders(the brownish things)down the lane
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-05-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by x-mantwohand View Post
    he is aiming down the right since the condition is very balanced

and is probably look down the boarders(the brownish things)down the lane
    I think the "brownish things" are called range finders. They are a feature on certain brands of synthetic lanes, are 3' long, and start about 45" down lane on the tenth board.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I think the "brownish things" are called range finders. They are a feature on certain brands of synthetic lanes, are 3' long, and start about 45" down lane on the tenth board.
    Actually the "Range Finder" is the set of Arrows and Dots at the heads. The down lane markings are "Break Point Markers" which Brunswick added to their Anvilane Pro Lanes.

The break point markers are three feet long. The first set start at 34' and are on the 15 and 25 boards, The next set start at 40' and are on the 10 and 30 boards.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 891

the spot that he was aiming at was the spot that his ball laned he wanted his ball to land right where he was looking and if he went befor it, it will come in high and leave some pins maby, and if he throws past it then it will come in alittle light cause not much time for the ball to read the lanes ik this cause i do this once and awhile when the lanes are dry and i miss my target once and awhile and what i sead happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast