Thread: Getting into the modern bowling world

Red face Getting into the modern bowling world

I have been going to the USBC Nationals for a dozen years or so. I am typically a 200-205 average bowler (house shot) and nationals is obviously a little lower around 180.

I have outdated equipment (don't even want to tell you how outdated).

I need suggestions for 2 bowling balls to purchase. One for the start of team and the other for into doubles / singles events.

I also need suggestions on drilling layouts that work well on a tournament shot (specifically USBC Nationals).

I don't know about the technology and don't know about the physics of getting balls set up right, RG, differential, mass bias, weight blocks, surface changes, etc.

I typically bowl better with polished vs solid but am up for all suggestions.

USBC we usually are around 13-15 at the arrows with a break point of 9-10.

I usually do better with arc shaped vs skid / flip.

I'd say I throw it medium speed to slightly slower than most, decent revs but not a cranker, and I believe I am a high track.

Any other questions?

Just looking to take advantage of the new technology and get back into the same century (that gives you a guess as to how old my equipment is)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

First, a disclaimer, I have never bowled at the Nationals, and know next to nothing about doing so.

As I understand it, to do well as a team you must bowl as a team. In other words you need to pick a line that the whole team can play. Therefore you need to get a ball that allows you to play as close to your teammates as possible.

Bowl.com has an entire forum devoted to the Nationals that may be a good source for you to get information.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
    John

Chats: 16

Viper - unless you're throwing a Rubber ball, I wouldn't be too embarrassed about your equipment. I bowled Reno last year (this year it's in Baton Rouge, so it may be different), but I found that it was the volume of oil that I wasn't used to - as the THS where I bowl in my league is fairly dry. Now, I don't know your comfort level when it comes to reaction, but it appears as if you're a pretty much down and in bowler. For something like that, with a little more bite, but a pretty smooth reaction, I had good luck with Storm's Victory Road (and it smells amazing too!), although I haven't used anything newer like the solid or the crossroad... I would use bowlingball.com to try and compare equipment like that, and it will tell you the type of reaction you're going to get. If you would be willing to play a little deeper, and change your angle, you could get something like the Ebonite Warning sign. Also a smooth motion, albeit a lot stronger.

As far as layouts, that's something that you would definitely want to talk to your pro shop about. They can lay it out to exaggerate, or tone down the designed reaction of the ball - basically fine tuning it to your needs. Usually, though - you end up with the pin right above, or to the right of your ring finger, and the CG in the middle of your span for something like what you're looking for.

J.A - as far as the team all playing the same line - I don't think that's the case at all. If that happened, you would have to make a lot more adjustments over the course of 3 games, because you would be burning up the oil much faster. I say be cognizant of the lines that are being played, but play what is going to feel right for you. As it appears here, viper is more of a down and in bowler. If that's what he's comfortable with, he has to find a line best suited for his style, and not try to conform with someone else's line - say if a cranker was on his team.

just my opinion.

I appriciate the suggestion on the Storm Victory Road as I was looking at something like that.

Let me say this about Nationals, we tend to start 10-12 (arrows) and keep bumping left during team and usually I finish around 16-18 and swing it further right to roughly the same breakpoint that we continue, so as you said I was more of a down and inner type player, true, I start straighter and adjust and have to belly it more as lanes breakdown. One year in Reno I was playing 5th arrow during singles event, so I can play that line too.

I'm doing my research and thought this would be another forum to get some suggestions to research.

thanks

Chats: 16

No worries. If you want to stay with the Victory Road - you can pick up something from the tropical line (Breeze I think it is now), or something like the Hammer Vibe as a secondary when you start getting drier conditions. However, don't be surprised if you find yourself going back to the Victory due to dirty back ends after you start noticing the carry down.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

I'd actually suggest something like the Storm Modern Marvel for team event (an even rolling, fairly strong hybrid). It does have a matte finish, but gets down the lane well. I'd then look at something like the Frantic for when they start to dry out.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.