Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Easiest and safest way to get oil out of your bowling ball?

Chats: 243

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
    Would anyone recommend putting a urethane ball in direct Texas sunlight? That will definitely heat it up.
    If so, for how long, and what should one look for and do after it has been out there long enough?
    ad.
    I heard direct sunlight is bad for a ball. What i would do is put it in a box out in the sun. That should heat it up nicely!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    I heard direct sunlight is bad for a ball. What i would do is put it in a box out in the sun. That should heat it up nicely!
    Thanks e-tank.
    I have an old zippered vinyl bowlingball bag that should do the trick too - it has a little wire harness inside to hold it off the floor so might give that a go.
    ad.
    League ave. 180; high league game 277; high league series 695
    Current weapons - Blue Hammer; Green/gold Ebonite Cyclone - both 15lbs.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Safest and easiest: go to your local auto parts store and buy a bag of oil dry. It looks like cat litter. Submerge the ball in the bag for a day or two. Simple, easy and safe.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Cranker

I bought a Nesco food dehydrator from Bed Bath and Beyond ($55 with 20% coupons that arrive for the wife every week...) and ordered 4 tray inserts for it (another $28 off Amazon.com) and took some sheers and cut out the plastic middle of all the trays, put a ball cup on bottom, and boom - bowling ball de-oiler.

Just wipe and rotate every twenty minutes or so at 130 degrees.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by dnhoffman View Post
    I bought a Nesco food dehydrator from Bed Bath and Beyond ($55 with 20% coupons that arrive for the wife every week...) and ordered 4 tray inserts for it (another $28 off Amazon.com) and took some sheers and cut out the plastic middle of all the trays, put a ball cup on bottom, and boom - bowling ball de-oiler.

Just wipe and rotate every twenty minutes or so at 130 degrees.
    There was no need to cut up the trays. You just had to set the ball cup on the lowest tray and then set a plastic five gallon bucket over it (or similar item). Thats what I did.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    There was no need to cut up the trays. You just had to set the ball cup on the lowest tray and then set a plastic five gallon bucket over it (or similar item). Thats what I did.

Buckets don't fit, the lip needs to be wider than the edges of the dehydrator lid - there's a giant thread from two or three of us doing this over at the BBE forums.

One guy used a giant tub and cut the dehydrator lid into fit with a bucket inside to hold the balls and another guy did it with no bucket.

I chose to order extra trays and cut out the middle because this lets the air intake heat it and send the air down the sides of the trays (like the dehydrator is designed for) and back out up the middle like it is supposed to work and thereby circulating the air better.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Here's a pic of mine, does a pretty good job.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 243

^ im pretty sure this is gonna be my upgrade from the the cardboard box and hair dryer
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    ^ im pretty sure this is gonna be my upgrade from the the cardboard box and hair dryer

Agreed. I use my wifes hair dryer right now and the only way to get it hot enough is to put it on full blast. which then is REEAALLLLYYYY annoying. Going to go and check this out. Just have to convince the old lady that I need a dehydrator and not say what for!

Any problems with the ball getting to hot while using one of these??

remind me to never get beef Jerky from you guys

pepper jerky with a hint of lane oil
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast